Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TR has an amazing library of workouts. Better than Zwift in that regard. But Zwift is better than TR in every other way imaginable. Graphics, social scene, races, competition, pro cycling/triathlon involvement, cultural buzz, etc...
---

Am I the only one who reads this and thinks that TR> Zwift simply for the lack of all the other noise? Social scene? Cultural buzz? We're triathletes for crying out loud.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
windschatten wrote:
Hey, count me in the old fart group too.

but do you have a CSN lyric to share?

I've been heard singing even wimpier acoustic music while riding my bike outside: Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy...sunshine almost always gets me high
or
You fill up my senses, like a night in the forest, like the mountains in springtime, like a run in the rain

RIP, Johnny D
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Mar 13, 18 19:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
windschatten wrote:

does this count???

"old man take a look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."

(now I'm the old man - and, I hope no one would be like me)

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you haven’t tried Zwift, you don’t know what you are missing

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 13, 18 19:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
windschatten wrote:

CSNY?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
TR has an amazing library of workouts. Better than Zwift in that regard. But Zwift is better than TR in every other way imaginable. Graphics, social scene, races, competition, pro cycling/triathlon involvement, cultural buzz, etc...
---

Am I the only one who reads this and thinks that TR> Zwift simply for the lack of all the other noise? Social scene? Cultural buzz? We're triathletes for crying out loud.

I agree, I don't understand how people are able to write text to each other while riding-cant be riding very hard?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

Part of me agrees with that sentiment as I'm a loner as far as training is concerned but the things I mentioned move the needle and lead to longevity and success. I've never seen any social media posts about TR. There's a shit ton of stuff about Zwift every day.

There's basically one long standing post about TR on ST. There's a new post about Zwift every day. Nobody is plastering their social media accounts with mentions of TR like they do with Zwift. Heck, I just rode with Jan Frodeno on Zwift about an hour ago. Granted, I rode with him for about 10 seconds before he left me in his dust but that's not something you can do on TR. Some will say who gives a shit but it creates a buzz about the product that no other competing product can match. There are pro cyclists or triathletes on Zwift everytime I'm on there.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TR is plenty popular but the UI/UX is just plain fucking lazy for a paid app in 2018. Zwift made me actually want to train indoors. TR made it a chore that I had to do in order to get faster quick.

Also - I know it is silly - but I like having miles attached to my indoor workouts. I know that they are very "directional" (read meaningless) - but when I do 3x Zwift+long ride outdoors per week in non-rainy weeks, it is nice to have a total mileage per week number.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
TR is plenty popular but the UI/UX is just plain fucking lazy for a paid app in 2018. Zwift made me actually want to train indoors. TR made it a chore that I had to do in order to get faster quick.

Also - I know it is silly - but I like having miles attached to my indoor workouts. I know that they are very "directional" (read meaningless) - but when I do 3x Zwift+long ride outdoors per week in non-rainy weeks, it is nice to have a total mileage per week number.

To be honest the UI for both are very poor for something in 2018 AND a paid subscription. Zwift is very early 2000's standard-there is a big opening for a competitor to gazump them sort of like the iphone did to Nokia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny thing is that i started with zwift beta and moved to TR last year. Sure, the pretty graphics are cool and all, but that doesn't make me faster whereas trainerroad's workouts did. Now i have a coach, so i write my workouts down on a piece of paper that i have next to my trainer to follow. I honestly find it much more motivating to watch bike races or draft legal races than some digital guy on the screen. Even if i didn't have a coach, if i had to pick between the two right now, trainerroad would win easily.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Slowman wrote:

in all our polling TR has the largest slowtwitcher following of any online training/racing/riding platform.

For how much longer?

I used TR and really liked it. I was somewhat early beta on Zwift, maybe the second round of beta invites, and I haven't touched TR since. It's not that I don't like TR but at the end of the day I was just following a line. Very effective for a workout but that's all it's good for. There's no upside beyond a workout. That's great for those that just care about that and there's nothing wrong with that. I just don't think it's long for this world. I can't define what long is at the moment. Could be a year or it could be five years. IMO, Zwift or something like it is here for good. Something like TR isn't.

TR has an amazing library of workouts. Better than Zwift in that regard. But Zwift is better than TR in every other way imaginable. Graphics, social scene, races, competition, pro cycling/triathlon involvement, cultural buzz, etc... it's not even a point of debate. TR isn't even a blip on any of those radars. I create and use my own workouts so the library of workouts isn't a concern to me. Zwift's workout creator is far easier to use and navigate. YMMV.

I think there's been quite the shift to more indoor cycling over the last decade. Part new hardware tech like smart trainers, part new software tech like Zwift and TR, and part increasing apprehension to riding outdoors. It's obvious to me that following a line on a bar graph isn't the future when it comes to indoor cycling's increased footprint. I get something like Zwift with the video game graphics and social aspects isn't everyone's cup of tea but that's an increasingly minority viewpoint and opinion.

I just don't know what TR can do to stay competitive in this market. Their product basically hasn't changed much from day one, from a user's perspective at least, while Zwift has made quantum leaps since it was introduced.

I'm not bashing TR as the product is excellent for what it is.

Why i switched to zwift. Another key feature is on/off erg mode. Doing group workouts / rides / races is an added bonus, which i am enjoying far more than I imagined originally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The training plans are the most important IMO. TR is absolutely awesome in this respect.

I did, however, find myself creating a Zwift workout based on a TR workout. Just wanted to get some XP and climbing meters in Zwift. Also an 1 hour workout i can manage easily on TR, but anything longer is getting a bit boring. I also had TR controlling my erg and then connect to Zwift... I want those tron wheels.

I hope TR will pair up with Zwift. If Zwift will have the same quality workouts available... then I don't see any need to keep my TR subscription. And I believe I won't be the only one. (which I somehow find a shame because I absolutely love TR and what it did for my performance).
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

I agree, I don't understand how people are able to write text to each other while riding-cant be riding very hard?

I agree - for serious, hard training i like the clean simplicity of TR, with banging tunes on my headphones. Sometimes i like Zwift for just tooling around or racing (which is great fun), and i often do Sufferfests for the glorious suffering but TR made me a faster cyclist for sure. (4.4W/Kg)
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What is relevant to me that I do see some deterioration in riding skills of people who do the majority of training indoors.
I know it is a running joke with triathletes.
But I do see some new relative strong riders who spend little time outdoors and only show up for weekend group rides and don't know how to handle a bike in critical situations or just plain can't hold a line.

I do care about that and it does concern me quite a bit.

I do think this is an important piece of the puzzle that often gets missed out on in the "maximal training indoors" thing. However, for a whole lot of us, it is indoor season from the end of CX season until April or so. To that end, as much as I would love to say "everybody ride rollers," the Zwift/TR/CompuTrainer crowd does help keep people motivated and ready to ride come the start of outdoor season.

That said, those first couple of rides in April/May are a bit of a doozy as everybody's lost some of their pack riding skills and the conditions aren't exactly ideal.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
alex_korr wrote:

To be honest the UI for both are very poor for something in 2018 AND a paid subscription. Zwift is very early 2000's standard-there is a big opening for a competitor to gazump them sort of like the iphone did to Nokia.

I think that the Zwift graphics are on the lower end because they have to make them run across a very wide variety of hardware. They can't require the latest GPU videocard - it'd kill their subscription based.

However the 3d rendering engine could be cleaned up - especially the collisions between the cyclist and a more realistic ability to pass.

Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" I think that the Zwift graphics are on the lower end because they have to make them run across a very wide variety of hardware. They can't require the latest GPU videocard - it'd kill their subscription based. "

The graphics could be scaled to the user's hardware.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sort of depends... it is a design decision to determine how much processing is happening client side. Zwift seems to be heavily server side - which means that they need to be mindful of the network throughput capability.

In any case, they don't need CS2 level graphics - just some clean up of the rendering engine and they gotta make up their damn mind about requiring power meters for racing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
It's not that I don't like TR but at the end of the day I was just following a line. Very effective for a workout but that's all it's good for. There's no upside beyond a workout....I create and use my own workouts so the library of workouts isn't a concern to me. Zwift's workout creator is far easier to use and navigate.

Honest question as I haven't tried Zwift yet. I use structured workouts on TR, and thus "follow a line" while in front of a TV. When you create a workout on Zwift and then do that workout, do you not end up following a line? Or is your custom workout put to some other graphic that makes it more interesting? What social interaction is there when you're doing your own custom workout on Zwift?

I get the Zwift group ride and race concept. Just curious how custom private workouts fit into that.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:

Honest question as I haven't tried Zwift yet. I use structured workouts on TR, and thus "follow a line" while in front of a TV. When you create a workout on Zwift and then do that workout, do you not end up following a line? Or is your custom workout put to some other graphic that makes it more interesting? What social interaction is there when you're doing your own custom workout on Zwift?

I get the Zwift group ride and race concept. Just curious how custom private workouts fit into that.

Zwift workout mode has a column on the left side that shows you your workout. You get a gold star if you complete each one. It has a timer countdown, shows you wattage, heart rate, cadence, etc. just like Trainer Road does, allows you to ride with people are who free-riding. Your character will have a map in front of them showing people that you are in workout mode. It can do everything Trainer Road does.

Social interaction? People can chat with you, talk on the Zwift mobile app, give you thumbs up for crushing intervals, etc. There is a a ton of features on there.

It looks like this

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 14, 18 7:16
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Slowman wrote:
windschatten wrote:

CSNY?

Y stands on his own.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Funny thing is that i started with zwift beta and moved to TR last year. Sure, the pretty graphics are cool and all, but that doesn't make me faster whereas trainerroad's workouts did. Now i have a coach, so i write my workouts down on a piece of paper that i have next to my trainer to follow. I honestly find it much more motivating to watch bike races or draft legal races than some digital guy on the screen. Even if i didn't have a coach, if i had to pick between the two right now, trainerroad would win easily.

You can create workouts in Zwift and watch races on a different screen.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:

Using the Zwift mobile app and holding the phone while in the aerobars, it's really easy to talk to people. I've done it while doing intervals.

Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Now i have a coach, so i write my workouts down on a piece of paper that i have next to my trainer to follow. I honestly find it much more motivating to watch bike races or draft legal races than some digital guy on the screen. Even if i didn't have a coach, if i had to pick between the two right now, trainerroad would win easily.

Me to. For the past 3 winters I have subscribed to Zwift thinking I would use it but I am up to only 10 total rides. I just prefer watching real bike races over watching computer avatars (I do like the Zwift racing/group rides and should do more of them).

TR gives structure to my training because I religiously follow their plans. The value I get from them is not an interface but a calendar with specific workouts scheduled by day for months on end. If you don't do a plan, you can't truly "get" what is great about Trainer Road. Trainer Road is not an interface but a cheap alternative to hiring a living breathing coach. The value of TR is the plan and the schedule surrounded by an interface that helps you execute the plan. And, now, the big time accountability of your graph, with targets and how you actually did versus the targets, automatically posted on Strava for all to see. I have a love/hate relationship with that new feature ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Why is Slowtwitch promoting Zwift? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:

TR gives structure to my training because I religiously follow their plans. The value I get from them is not an interface but a calendar with specific workouts scheduled by day for months on end. If you don't do a plan, you can't truly "get" what is great about Trainer Road. Trainer Road is not an interface but a cheap alternative to hiring a living breathing coach. The value of TR is the plan and the schedule surrounded by an interface that helps you execute the plan. And, now, the big time accountability of your graph, with targets and how you actually did versus the targets, automatically posted on Strava for all to see. I have a love/hate relationship with that new feature ;-)

Zwift has plans too. Not as many workouts as Trainer Road, but it's growing.

Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 14, 18 7:26
Quote Reply

Prev Next