Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....Froome vs Wounded Warrior Group [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
What a finish! What an end to the stage!

It really was.

Almost as good as reading how much utter twaddle is written on ST about this race.
I was told Aru only wants to be second and that it's a parade for Froome. Lol.
Now Aru is in the lead and apparently that was the plan all along.
Because Froome really wants to have three other riders within 29 seconds of him with nine stages to go.
Priceless stuff, comedy genius.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....gotta go on the cabbage and water diet to beat Froome [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisC42780 wrote:
That last hew hundred meters was steep as hell, I had a feeling Aru/Bardet would get the stage. Froome struggles on something that steep. I wonder if Landa was allowed to go ahead?

OK, stuck in meetings but it seems my "requirement" for Aru+Bardet to pull even with Froome leaving the Pyranees and then trying to get ahead on the Izouard stage in the Alps is partially a reality. I don't think Izouard is steep enough for Aru to replicate this and it will more than likely be Froome diesel powermeter/stem staring keeping the heat on everyone. Then we're down to the final TT. Real shame that Porte is not here, but hey, its actually interesting and not a complete snooze!!!! I can't wait to watch the replays tonite.

Looks like the only way to be at the top of the GC is negative body fat!!!
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....Froome vs Wounded Warrior Group [vitalstatistix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sticking with what I said, guarantee Froome still wins yellow by minutes by stage 21. It is really is too predictable, but if you guys are enjoying then good.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....Froome vs Wounded Warrior Group [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3+ hours of boring, followed by 60 seconds of unbelievable excitement. Worth it!

Sadly, I think we've seen the last of Alberto Contador. And part of me thinks Sky let the jersey go, knowing that it adds spice to the race, allows them to rest a bit and that Chris Froome will smoke his competition in the final TT.
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Jul 13, 17 8:49
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....gotta go on the cabbage and water diet to beat Froome [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
perfect summary and you did not even watch today!
Too bad about Dan Martin Crashing on Sunday, he could have been in yellow also.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....Froome vs Wounded Warrior Group [ChrisC42780] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if Froome is going as far as to sandbag it (doubt it), but do think he's left his peak later for this Tour than in previous years and will be getting stronger into the third week. If I'm wrong then the next week could see some cracking racing, as Froome has normally faded a little in the third week but it's never really mattered before as he's already built a decent lead.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....Froome vs Wounded Warrior Group [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% agree, I think Froome will have yellow before final TT
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....Froome vs Wounded Warrior Group [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great stage from the radio commentary, can't wait to watch the highlights.

I doubt this was part of a Chris Froome/Sky masterplan and shows that Froome is human.

Could be an interesting last 10 stages, especially when it goes uphill again. I still think Froome will take the victory come Paris.

Game on.

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....Froome vs Wounded Warrior Group [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chapeau to Gervais Rious and the team at Argon-18. They become the second Canadian bike company to be in the lofty, and proud position of being part of a Yellow Jersey team at the Tour de France! Best wishes for continued success!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....Froome vs Wounded Warrior Group [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly, I think we've seen theist of Alberto Contador. And part of me thinks Sky let the jersey go, knowing that it adds spice to the race, allows them to rest a bit and that Chris Froome will smoke his competition in the final TT.

I don't know about that - letting it go.

The strategy with Landa and Nieve ( Mikal x2!!) on the front seemed to be to wear everyone down. That seemed to be the case, because when they hit the final climb, everyone seemed on the limit or over - including Froome who really struggled up the final ramp.

Froome is NOT out of it at all. In fact, not having Yellow has it's advantages.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....Froome vs Wounded Warrior Group [ChrisC42780] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisC42780 wrote:
That last hew hundred meters was steep as hell, I had a feeling Aru/Bardet would get the stage. Froome struggles on something that steep. I wonder if Landa was allowed to go ahead?

Just saw on Eurosport, Landa was told to try and get ahead of Aru to stop him from getting the bonus seconds
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....Froome vs Wounded Warrior Group [vitalstatistix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitalstatistix wrote:

Almost as good as reading how much utter twaddle is written on ST about this race.

I'm waiting for a show of contrition from everyone who smugly declared the GC race over after the prologue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitalstatistix wrote:
Jackets wrote:
What a finish! What an end to the stage!

It really was.

I was told Aru only wants to be second and that it's a parade for Froome. Lol.
Now Aru is in the lead and apparently that was the plan all along.
Because Froome really wants to have three other riders within 29 seconds of him with nine stages to go.
Priceless stuff, comedy genius.

Exactly! I almost bumped the TDF is over/boring/finished thread whatever it was called?

Bardet has made me £110 richer also as I bet on him to win the stage.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....Froome vs Wounded Warrior Group [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you are guys are funny, like I said above if you are all enjoying it then good., I love cycling, just think the TDF is boring compared to the Giro/Vuelta.

TDF needs more mountaintop finishes like today, unfortunately there is only one more. By the end of of the TT on Stage 20 Froome will be leading by at least 2-3 minutes. I would put money on it.

I am happy for Aru and the one day of excitement. Its all predictable. Astana has to control tomorrow, which means a breakway will succeed tomorrow. Froome will be back in yellow by stage 18.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisC42780 wrote:
I am happy for Aru and the one day of excitement. Its all predictable. Astana has to control tomorrow, which means a breakway will succeed tomorrow. Froome will be back in yellow by stage 18.

You're talking about a breakaway succeeding as if it were a bad thing. There is nothing more exciting than a successful breakaway.

Also it appears Froome is unable to just ride guys off his wheel at will on climbs this year. That's new. Sky has to scheme for bonus seconds, etc. That's just good racing.

There are still 6-7 guys competing for the 3 GC podium spots, and none of those spots are locked down.

Today we had a AG2R and Cannondale GC guys 1-2 on a legit mid-tour mountain stage. When's the last time that happened?

I'd tend to agree about the last 4-5 TdF's. But I think if you set aside your bongload of Hater Kush for a minute, it might dawn on you this is shaping up to be a pretty decent bike race.
(ignoring the whole Sagan deal).
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....Froome vs Wounded Warrior Group [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ChrisC42780 wrote:

You're talking about a breakaway succeeding as if it were a bad thing. There is nothing more exciting than a successful breakaway.

Also it appears Froome is unable to just ride guys off his wheel at will on climbs this year. That's new. Sky has to scheme for bonus seconds, etc. That's just good racing.

There are still 6-7 guys competing for the 3 GC podium spots, and none of those spots are locked down.

Today we had a AG2R and Cannondale GC guys 1-2 on a legit mid-tour mountain stage. When's the last time that happened?

I'd tend to agree about the last 4-5 TdF's. But I think if you set aside your bongload of Hater Kush for a minute, it might dawn on you this is shaping up to be a pretty decent bike race.

I agree with you & I hope your right.

sucks that Uran & Bennett were docked bonus seconds for taking a bottle today, another reason I hate this race. Bardet may be deducted time as well for taking a bottle. Plus I am still pissed about Dan Martin crashing Sunday, he would be up there also.

I said I am super excited Uran is having a good race, he was always great to watch in the Giro, and I really like Bardet, finally a serious French contender. In the end they are all fighting for 2nd & 3rd, Froome is in a league of his own. I hope this is the year I am wrong and will will see over the next 9 stages. Even though I am a hater I still have on my illegal feed at work on my 2nd monitor, I love this sport, tired of seeing the same thing each year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a sentimental sort who is wondering if Michele Scarponi is looking down and smiling today.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....Froome vs Wounded Warrior Group [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a great finish, and I'm pretty sure the Sky plan did not include being dropped by Aru, Bardet, Uran, Landa Meintjes, and Martin on the final climb, this not the Froome we've seen in years gone by.
Is it the beginning of the decline of the skytrain?
Quintana and El Pis are toast
I'm anticipating even more drama to morrow, one of the shortest stage this year 101km, but 3 cat 1 climbs and a long descent towards the finish.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisC42780 wrote:
ChrisC42780 wrote:

Just saw on Eurosport, Landa was told to try and get ahead of Aru to stop him from getting the bonus seconds

Cyclingnews live feed report

18:28:34 CEST
Video footage from the finish shows that Landa and DS Portal had a bit of a disagreement outside the bus. Portal said afterwards that he wasn't angry with Landa.

18:18:14 CEST
There seems to be some disagreement in the Sky camp after that stage. Mikel Landa tells the Spanish press that he could have been a contender for the victory today if he'd been allowed to go for it.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....Froome vs Wounded Warrior Group [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they drop froome again.. froome will be able to catch back up on the descent.. Stage 18 will be the one.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....Froome vs Wounded Warrior Group [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is it the beginning of the decline of the skytrain?

Seemed like it was more Froome and not the train. Landa finished pretty well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisC42780 wrote:
trail wrote:
ChrisC42780 wrote:

I agree with you & I hope your right.

sucks that Uran & Bennett were docked bonus seconds for taking a bottle today, another reason I hate this race. Bardet may be deducted time as well for taking a bottle. Plus I am still pissed about Dan Martin crashing Sunday, he would be up there also.

I said I am super excited Uran is having a good race, he was always great to watch in the Giro, and I really like Bardet, finally a serious French contender. In the end they are all fighting for 2nd & 3rd, Froome is in a league of his own. I hope this is the year I am wrong and will will see over the next 9 stages. Even though I am a hater I still have on my illegal feed at work on my 2nd monitor, I love this sport, tired of seeing the same thing each year.

Too bad Uran has kinda let his TT skills go. He was really competent when he was at Sky, but he really seems to have struggled since he went to Cannondale. Bardet still sucks on a TT bike and Aru would be only so so.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....Froome vs Wounded Warrior Group [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FLA Jill wrote:
I'm a sentimental sort who is wondering if Michele Scarponi is looking down and smiling today.

x2

Thanks for the reminder on that. No matter how you cut it and you can not love Astana, for his teammates to succeed and have a great Dauphine and now a solid tour is excellent for the team. Bummer about Fuglsang's crash yesterday though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisC42780 wrote:
sucks that Uran & Bennett were docked bonus seconds for taking a bottle today, another reason I hate this race. Bardet may be deducted time as well for taking a bottle.
CN reported that Vaughters complained that Bardet also took a bottle. I haven't seen where Bardet was also penalized though. More fuel for the Francophobes.

Froome won't be happy about today's result, but that final 20 degree climb didn't really suit him. He'll be concerned, but the final ITT leaves him as the favorite. I don't see where Aru can put enough time into Froome between now and the ITT, but today's result makes things a lot more interesting.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF 12: Into the Pyranees....Froome vs Wounded Warrior Group [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
ChrisC42780 wrote:
sucks that Uran & Bennett were docked bonus seconds for taking a bottle today, another reason I hate this race. Bardet may be deducted time as well for taking a bottle.

CN reported that Vaughters complained that Bardet also took a bottle. I haven't seen where Bardet was also penalized though. More fuel for the Francophobes.

Froome won't be happy about today's result, but that final 20 degree climb didn't really suit him. He'll be concerned, but the final ITT leaves him as the favorite. I don't see where Aru can put enough time into Froome between now and the ITT, but today's result makes things a lot more interesting.

Appears Lotto have video of Bardet taking a bottle as well. Overall i am not sure what today really demonstrates. Froome has always struggled on very steep finishes like today so i am not sure this is really a sign of collapse. SKY was clearly frustrated at the end, but there was nothing they could have done differently. AC and Quintana are done. Tomorrow will give us a much better indication if Froome is actually on the decline.
Quote Reply

Prev Next