Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:
Beautiful. Unfortunately, though, Dimond's days seem to be numbered, given that they have no plans to develop a disc brake product. If they haven't even started that process yet, by the time they do, well...I suspect the free market will be cruel.

I have a road bike with disc brakes and I can't wait to go back to rim brakes. Especially for my tri bike, the only time I use the brakes in a race is at the T2 dismount. I won't be buying a tri bike with discs anytime soon

But Rob, what he's saying is you won't have a choice. The world will be a barren landscape, like the setting of Mad Max. To escape the marauding horde of mutants trying to kill you, you'll be going through piles of garbage to find a wheel for your bike to ride away on. But every wheel you scrape out from under the pile of radioactive metal will be disc, disc, disc. You'll eventually be forced to ride off into the desert backwards on a horse with a bucket on your head because you ride rim brakes. This is your future if you don't sell everything now in a panic.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [A.Hart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somewhere on this thread there was pressure on my to get a rim brake equipped Dimond and elsewhere on this thread I believe you were talking about needing to unload a size S Dimond. Since my birthday is in a month and I have spent exactly zero dollars on triathlon this year (vs the usual yearly quota of a young person's college expenses), maybe it's time!!!

But Pubes is saying I need to wait a few more quarters until the floor falls on the pricing of rim brake bikes and wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait a few more quarters and we'll all be racing Xterra on E-MTBs with nitrogen filed tubless tires mounted to disc brake disc wheels and the magnetic suspension that GM developed and licensed to Ferrari.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
writhe wrote:
Maybe we'll get to see more at Kona?

I would be on the look out for Jesse Thomas's bike in kona.....

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
But Rob, what he's saying is you won't have a choice. The world will be a barren landscape, like the setting of Mad Max. To escape the marauding horde of mutants trying to kill you, you'll be going through piles of garbage to find a wheel for your bike to ride away on. But every wheel you scrape out from under the pile of radioactive metal will be disc, disc, disc. You'll eventually be forced to ride off into the desert backwards on a horse with a bucket on your head because you ride rim brakes. This is your future if you don't sell everything now in a panic.

I normally don't find you funny in the slightest -- but this is fine work and by far my favorite comment on the thread.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Whether you use them is not the point. Whether you need them is not the point. The fact is they are coming. And soon -- like in two weeks, soon -- the best equipment will have disc brakes. Wait a bit longer and all the decent equipment will..... enjoy your tubulars and your shitty old slow equipment. When you finally do decide to join the big leagues, you'll need well over $5k to do so.

Oh come on. The same number of guys were riding sub-4:30 in Kona 20 years ago on "ancient tech", as do now.

My race bike is a 1st Gen SC with 10 Speed Red on Zipp tubulars; I'll be sticking with that for a few more seasons, until I go 'all in' on the latest kit. This is all ultimately about the business of selling bikes year-on-year.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question remains what the marauding horde of mutants will be riding. Must be disc brake equiped beam bikes. Should the rules be enforced however, you will be safe till T2 as they must keep legal distance.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [Kreiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kreiger wrote:
Question remains what the marauding horde of draft packs will be riding. Must be disc brake equiped beam bikes. Should the rules be enforced however, you will be safe till T2 as they must keep legal distance.

Fixed it for you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a gorgeous bike. If I didn't use my tri bike for TTs I would be on a Dimond in a heartbeat.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do your TTs follow USAC? Are you racing at nationals?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:
That is a gorgeous bike. If I didn't use my tri bike for TTs I would be on a Dimond in a heartbeat.

That would make you the first one to own Dimond in southwestern Pa. Hurry up or someone else will beat you to it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [jet black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Luckily no, because my current bike isn't UCI legal either. The real reason I don't have one is this past year is the last year I'll do tri for a while. I've already got a fast TT bike and the Dimond offers me no real benefit over the SC. It is vastly more comfortable but my races will top out at 40k and even those are few and far between so comfort is less of a motivator to upgrade. I test rode a Dimond at AGNC and loved that bike but just really no logical reason to upgrade right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha. As a new Dimond owner I was concerned about not being able to do TTs as well. But after reviewing the USAC rules, I don't think it's going to be an issue for my local TTs. Now I haven't tested this at a local TT yet, but I'll have the rules handy when I do.

Quote:
1I. Bicycles 1I1. Bicycles used in competition must be propelled solely by the rider's legs and shall have the following characteristics:
(a) Dimensions. Bicycles may be no more than 2 meters long and 75 cm wide, except that tandems may be up to 3 meters long
(b) There may be no protective shield, fairing, or other device on any part of the bicycle, which has the effect of reducing air resistance except that spoke covers may be used.
(c) Wheels may be made with spokes or solid construction. No wheel may contain special mechanisms to store and release energy
(d) The handlebar ends shall be solidly plugged and attachments thereto shall be fashioned in such a way as to minimize danger without impairing steering. In road, track, or cyclo-cross races, handlebars with ends, features, or attachments that extend forward or upward or that provide support for other than the rider's hands are permitted only in 31 time trial and pursuit events (not in Team Sprint); however, attachments that point upward on the brakehoods of road bicycles are allowed if the distance between them is greater than 25 cm (9.8 inches).
(e) Bicycles must meet current UCI technical regulations at events that select 17-18, U23 and Elite riders for international competition or national teams. All bicycles used in National Championships (for UCI recognized classes listed above) and NRC races must comply with the current UCI regulations. At the discretion of USA Cycling, UCI rules may be adopted or modified for other National Championships.
(f) Bicycles commonly known as recumbent may not be raced in USA Cycling races unless there is a separate race for this category of bicycle, and then may be used only in that category.
(g) A massed-start bicycle is a road or track bicycle that is legal in all events within the road or track discipline, rather than a bicycle that is restricted to particular events. Handlebars for massed-start bicycles may not have forearm supports nor handlebar extensions or attachments that point forward.
(h) Time trial events may restrict the competitors to massstart bicycles in one or more classes, provided that the restriction is stated in the race announcement and technical guide. This includes time trials in stage races.
(i) A Single Speed is any type of bicycle possessing only one rear cog and only one front chainring and with no means of altering the gear ratio in any way during the race.
1I2. Riders are responsible for their selection of competition equipment and for taking reasonable precautions to ensure that its condition is adequate and safe for use in competition.
(a) To maintain compliance with these regulations, the equipment and uniform of one or more riders may be examined at any time to discover the use of items which are not allowed or which are obviously improperly adjusted, insecurely fastened, or which may present a danger to the 32 rider(s). The Chief Referee shall prohibit the use of any such items discovered during the examination. Such examinations are conducted at the discretion of the Chief Referee. An examination of every rider's equipment is not required.
(b) USA Cycling and any Race Director or sponsor, and their respective agents, officials, employees and volunteers, shall not be liable for any damages or injuries arising from or connected in any way with the condition or adequacy of any rider's competition equipment or uniform, regardless of whether or not such competition equipment or uniform was examined or was not determined to be in violation of the rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used mine at local TT and no one cared. I think the race director was just glad that more people showed up to race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A.Hart wrote:
I've used mine at local TT and no one cared. I think the race director was just glad that more people showed up to race.

Are you planning to post pictures of that phanton Dimond to try to sell it to me before the floor falls on rim brake beam bike pricing?
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can post some pics but its already sold. I said it would be a killer deal and it was. Had someone claim it yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Posted on Instagram last night

https://www.instagram.com/...aken-by=reed_strauss

Had to post the URL as posting the pic isn't working for me this morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably someone's name on the top tube.... Who's name is 7 or 8 letters long and ends in "SE"

Fork is also blurred out....

New pro or new bike? Both?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jet black wrote:
Gotcha. As a new Dimond owner I was concerned about not being able to do TTs as well. But after reviewing the USAC rules, I don't think it's going to be an issue for my local TTs. Now I haven't tested this at a local TT yet, but I'll have the rules handy when I do.

Quote:
1I. Bicycles 1I1. Bicycles used in competition must be propelled solely by the rider's legs and shall have the following characteristics:
(a) Dimensions. Bicycles may be no more than 2 meters long and 75 cm wide, except that tandems may be up to 3 meters long
(b) There may be no protective shield, fairing, or other device on any part of the bicycle, which has the effect of reducing air resistance except that spoke covers may be used.
(c) Wheels may be made with spokes or solid construction. No wheel may contain special mechanisms to store and release energy
(d) The handlebar ends shall be solidly plugged and attachments thereto shall be fashioned in such a way as to minimize danger without impairing steering. In road, track, or cyclo-cross races, handlebars with ends, features, or attachments that extend forward or upward or that provide support for other than the rider's hands are permitted only in 31 time trial and pursuit events (not in Team Sprint); however, attachments that point upward on the brakehoods of road bicycles are allowed if the distance between them is greater than 25 cm (9.8 inches).
(e) Bicycles must meet current UCI technical regulations at events that select 17-18, U23 and Elite riders for international competition or national teams. All bicycles used in National Championships (for UCI recognized classes listed above) and NRC races must comply with the current UCI regulations. At the discretion of USA Cycling, UCI rules may be adopted or modified for other National Championships.
(f) Bicycles commonly known as recumbent may not be raced in USA Cycling races unless there is a separate race for this category of bicycle, and then may be used only in that category.
(g) A massed-start bicycle is a road or track bicycle that is legal in all events within the road or track discipline, rather than a bicycle that is restricted to particular events. Handlebars for massed-start bicycles may not have forearm supports nor handlebar extensions or attachments that point forward.
(h) Time trial events may restrict the competitors to massstart bicycles in one or more classes, provided that the restriction is stated in the race announcement and technical guide. This includes time trials in stage races.
(i) A Single Speed is any type of bicycle possessing only one rear cog and only one front chainring and with no means of altering the gear ratio in any way during the race.
1I2. Riders are responsible for their selection of competition equipment and for taking reasonable precautions to ensure that its condition is adequate and safe for use in competition.
(a) To maintain compliance with these regulations, the equipment and uniform of one or more riders may be examined at any time to discover the use of items which are not allowed or which are obviously improperly adjusted, insecurely fastened, or which may present a danger to the 32 rider(s). The Chief Referee shall prohibit the use of any such items discovered during the examination. Such examinations are conducted at the discretion of the Chief Referee. An examination of every rider's equipment is not required.
(b) USA Cycling and any Race Director or sponsor, and their respective agents, officials, employees and volunteers, shall not be liable for any damages or injuries arising from or connected in any way with the condition or adequacy of any rider's competition equipment or uniform, regardless of whether or not such competition equipment or uniform was examined or was not determined to be in violation of the rules.

they may still require a double diamond frame but no beams. this may change and i'm not sure on that.
only U23 at nats were required to follow all UCI rules including 3:1 ratio. the others didn't and masters nationals weren't required to follow 3:1.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bujayman wrote:
Probably someone's name on the top tube.... Who's name is 7 or 8 letters long and ends in "SE"

I bet it's Jesse Thomas's bike in Kona. And the blurred out part is top tube storage.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jesse uses TriRig bars and a lot more stack than the bike pictured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He does ride PD bars, and would be one of the first on the new frame....
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to add that the Dimond comes with Magura brakes which work quite well in my experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
bujayman wrote:

I bet it's Jesse Thomas's bike in Kona. And the blurred out part is top tube storage.

It's hard to tell for sure, but doesn't look like the same color scheme as his new bike. This is the only photo I've seen of it so far.

(from Patrick Lange's Instagram)

Last edited by: jet black: Sep 30, 16 9:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I saw that earlier. Slipped my mind. Ok so it's not his specific bike. But I stand by my top tube storage comment. Lets just wait until we see pictures of Jesse's kona bike.

blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next