Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO
Quote | Reply
Got a pic of Dimond's lead engineer racing with a new frame this past weekend. He did go on to win his AG and KQ in his first Ironman.

Looks like some small changes to the dimensions of the beam near the head tube and some material added near the RD mount to create a fairing for the rear wheel/tire.

Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [A.Hart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering when someone was going to post about this...

Looks like some added storage options.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's to hoping for a price drop on the previous one..... Probably wishful thinking though.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know where you can get a killer deal on a used one if you can fit on a small. I'm ready to place an order for the new one once it's ready. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha....I think the small would probably come to my knees, I'm 6'10".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beautiful. Unfortunately, though, Dimond's days seem to be numbered, given that they have no plans to develop a disc brake product. If they haven't even started that process yet, by the time they do, well...I suspect the free market will be cruel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Help me understand what exactly is different? Because I'm not seeing it.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The top of the beam appears to be higher so that it now sits in-line with the top of the Aduro. On the current frame the Aduro or almost any aerobar sits higher than the top of the beam.

Also, if you look behind the crank arm, the FD mount arm is no longer there and in it's place is more frame material to fair the rear wheel. My guess is the FD mount is bolted to the other side like a more traditional braze-on mount would be.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the small would probably come to my knees

What I'm hearing you say is it would be *really* aero

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume it's custom paint, but I dig the gold leaf look on the logos. I've been pretty meh on the whole beam bike fad but that's a cool looking bike to me and I admire what TJ and crew have been able to accomplish.

Too spendy for me though, at least given my current involvement in the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Beautiful. Unfortunately, though, Dimond's days seem to be numbered, given that they have no plans to develop a disc brake product. If they haven't even started that process yet, by the time they do, well...I suspect the free market will be cruel.

Seriously? I would buy one in a heartbeat (although I can't afford it any time soon) and I would insist on no disc brake.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:

Seriously? I would buy one in a heartbeat (although I can't afford it any time soon) and I would insist on no disc brake.

Seriously. Disc brakes are coming and they are coming fast whether I or you or Tom A likes it or not. You might buy one in a heartbeat, and in three years you will be stuck with a heap of carbon (and wheels) that nobody wants to buy. Perhaps you also would buy a bike with downtube shifters?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. The new Cervelo will be the first beam bike with discs. Dimond will have to respond quickly.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Perhaps you also would buy a bike with downtube shifters?

Not a good analogy. Shifting changes didn't make a frame obsolete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
You might buy one in a heartbeat, and in three years you will be stuck with a heap of carbon (and wheels) that nobody wants to buy. Perhaps you also would buy a bike with downtube shifters?

I sure hope we aren't all making our buying decision based on "what people might want to buy used in 3 years."

Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:
Perhaps you also would buy a bike with downtube shifters?

Not a good analogy. Shifting changes didn't make a frame obsolete.

Maybe a better analogy would be the idiotic 2016 Specialized Crux bicycles with the 135mm spacing in the rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Seriously. Disc brakes are coming and they are coming fast whether I or you or Tom A likes it or not. You might buy one in a heartbeat, and in three years you will be stuck with a heap of carbon (and wheels) that nobody wants to buy. Perhaps you also would buy a bike with downtube shifters?

I just sold my P4 which was the fastest bike I've ever owned by far. Big part of my rationale was that I was already behind the curve with it being 10-speed mech, then with another Cervelo about to drop I'd be 2 generations behind on frames, behind on derailleur tech and now wheel tech to boot. Not that I'm convinced that any of those things would make a huge objective difference in performance, but I wasn't using the bike much and I think those things will make a huge difference in the subjective resale value of the bike in the near future.

That said, the coming discpocalypse might be a good thing for the rim holdovers. Think of all the great deals you'll be able to get on used high end rim race wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
Think of all the great deals you'll be able to get on used high end rim race wheels.

Careful with this logic. Tubular proponents said the same thing a handful of years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:

I just sold my P4 which was the fastest bike I've ever owned by far. Big part of my rationale was that I was already behind the curve with it being 10-speed mech, then with another Cervelo about to drop I'd be 2 generations behind on frames, behind on derailleur tech and now wheel tech to boot. Not that I'm convinced that any of those things would make a huge objective difference in performance, but I wasn't using the bike much and I think those things will make a huge difference in the subjective resale value of the bike in the near future.

That said, the coming discpocalypse might be a good thing for the rim holdovers. Think of all the great deals you'll be able to get on used high end rim race wheels.

For the next 5 years people will over pay for disc brake equipped race wheels while selling their current rim brake wheels at firesale prices. I'm steering clear of disc for a while. There is no functionality enhancement worth that upgrade premium for me "yet".
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

For the next 5 years people will over pay for disc brake equipped race wheels while selling their current rim brake wheels at firesale prices. I'm steering clear of disc for a while. There is no functionality enhancement worth that upgrade premium for me "yet".

Does that mean you're finally pulling the trigger on that non-disc Dimond? ;-)

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, if you're anything like me, you prefer to have the nicest/best shit at the lowest financial burden. That's just simple micro economics. I do that by constantly trading up in equipment and technology and selling off what is outdated or what is about to be. I just cleared three Quarqs -- with a very modest upgrade fee I can have the latest and greatest, which retains significantly more value in the short to medium term.

What we're about to see here is the value of rim brake bikes and related wheels fall off a CLIFF. Maybe that's fine with you and you'll ride those bikes into the ground. Just know that when you're ready for a new bike, you'll have nothing to offset the cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't wait for disc brakes! they will make 0% of people faster yet Ill be able to get a bike and wheels just as fast because its "OLD" tech.

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When someone produces aero data comparing the same frame in a disc and non-disc version in where the disc version is faster, and someone produces a full hydraulic TT brake lever (not cable actuated disc brakes), then I'll consider it.

As for down tube shifters and tubulars, I still own a frame that has both and it gets ridden quite a bit. Still race on tubulars too.

You are right in that disc brakes are being forced upon us by the component suppliers, but that doesn't mean that everyone needs to use them. Disc brakes are great on a MTB or for CX, but unless you truly know how to use your brakes when entering a turn, discs will not make you faster. Plenty of boys and girls in Belgium still winning CX races on canti brakes.
Last edited by: A.Hart: Sep 27, 16 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
tgarson wrote:
Think of all the great deals you'll be able to get on used high end rim race wheels.

Careful with this logic. Tubular proponents said the same thing a handful of years ago.

And some of those rim-brake wheels will come with a free PowerTap. You might also be finding great deals on tubes if tubeless takes off. Pre-NSW Zipps will be worth nothing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
tgarson wrote:

Isn't that valid? Certainly seems to be a buyer's market for used tubular wheels.
Quote Reply

Prev Next