Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A buyers market for those okay with old, slower tech. Sure.

That's not most of us.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
A buyers market for those okay with old, slower tech. Sure.

That's not most of us.

I thought we were talking about tubular users <running, ducking>.

More seriously, in the classifieds it just seems that even top-of-the-line, late-model tubbies have to be pretty severely discounted before they go. The market for them is shrinking to roadies who get support vehicles and fuddy-duddy triathletes with Colnagos.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [A.Hart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are definitely some watts there.

Unfortunately they are not going to be able to deal with zero yaw performance without a major mold update, while they may have been able to do these changes with their current molds (though not sure they have, I just know it's possible sometimes).

The FD change is the big one I have advocated for. It's just dumb not to fill that in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A.Hart wrote:
I know where you can get a killer deal on a used one if you can fit on a small. I'm ready to place an order for the new one once it's ready. ;-)

Perfect example of tubies being offered at a killer deal - A.Hart's C75's! Very tempting!
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Beautiful. Unfortunately, though, Dimond's days seem to be numbered, given that they have no plans to develop a disc brake product. If they haven't even started that process yet, by the time they do, well...I suspect the free market will be cruel.

I have a road bike with disc brakes and I can't wait to go back to rim brakes. Especially for my tri bike, the only time I use the brakes in a race is at the T2 dismount. I won't be buying a tri bike with discs anytime soon

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, that's why I still race on them, that and I don't have to worry about pinch flats. I just picked up a Pro Textreme disc and Textreme 3 spoke for just a few pennies more than what I'm selling my C75s for. I'd rather glue up 10 tubulars than change one tube.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No Rob. You need disc brakes to slow you down. It's the only way I'll catch you on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A.Hart wrote:
Yep, that's why I still race on them, that and I don't have to worry about pinch flats. I just picked up a Pro Textreme disc and Textreme 3 spoke for just a few pennies more than what I'm selling my C75s for. I'd rather glue up 10 tubulars than change one tube.

Ummm...where did you get the deal on the Textreme's?!?
I've been using Super9 and 808 clinchers the past year, but miss the tubies that I used for the previous 20+ years. Thinking of going back, rolling resistance be damned. Love me some Veloflex Carbons... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:
Beautiful. Unfortunately, though, Dimond's days seem to be numbered, given that they have no plans to develop a disc brake product. If they haven't even started that process yet, by the time they do, well...I suspect the free market will be cruel.

I have a road bike with disc brakes and I can't wait to go back to rim brakes. Especially for my tri bike, the only time I use the brakes in a race is at the T2 dismount. I won't be buying a tri bike with discs anytime soon

This. In triathlon, if you're using brakes, you're doing it wrong!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outside of these jokers who seem to brake during a race....

Outside of people freaking out about aesthetics or whatever individual issue one may have with this scenario. Is it possible to run two different styles of brakes? IE..... Should the guys a Dimond (or really anyone) choose to develop an alternate fork with a disc brake could it be run with a standard pull brake in the rear? Is anything technically stopping one from doing that?

I own a Dimond and I too never brake.. hell... don't even brake at T2.. just jump off and start running!!!!

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
Especially for my tri bike, the only time I use the brakes in a race is at the T2 dismount.

Whether you use them is not the point. Whether you need them is not the point. The fact is they are coming. And soon -- like in two weeks, soon -- the best equipment will have disc brakes. Wait a bit longer and all the decent equipment will.

I don't want them to come either for a number of reasons. But I am rational enough to know that they are and intelligent enough to make moves to limit my financial exposure as they do. Enjoy your tubulars and your shitty old slow equipment. I'll be rolling around on my Px with HEDs for the minor upgrade consideration you were too foolish to consider when you had the chance. When you finally do decide to join the big leagues, you'll need well over $5k to do so.
Last edited by: PubliusValerius: Sep 27, 16 11:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:

Especially for my tri bike, the only time I use the brakes in a race is at the T2 dismount

Mmm, love all the hyperbole.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
robgray wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:

Especially for my tri bike, the only time I use the brakes in a race is at the T2 dismount

Mmm, love all the hyperbole.

Rob is lying. I have seen him riding his brakes all the way down Beech Hill at Wildflower before being the last person to check into transition. I've also seen him riding the brakes in a big way down Mount Hamilton, and Sierra Road and even on Silvercreek when he got hit by a side wind gust. Now to make up for that, he's gonna have to ride the brake-less Dimond (we all know that was originally patented as a Cervelo P4 "acceleration feature") for Ultraman Hawaii
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seen the new Dimond.
It was alright. Ask me anything you want about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well let's hope that all the rich triathletes who buy new bikes every year do not outweigh ones like me who like the bikes but cannot afford them. I have a feeling I will be trying to find rim brake wheels/frames for a long time before I switch over. Not that I have any experience with disc breaks but because I don't want, ok need, to buy all new crap with every new fad that comes out.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [TomTriesTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomTriesTri wrote:
I have seen the new Dimond.
It was alright. Ask me anything you want about it.

Why doesn't it have disc brakes? Come on bro, without disc brakes there is no way your bike will be faster than the new hotness that I'll be rollin'
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:
You might buy one in a heartbeat, and in three years you will be stuck with a heap of carbon (and wheels) that nobody wants to buy. Perhaps you also would buy a bike with downtube shifters?

I sure hope we aren't all making our buying decision based on "what people might want to buy used in 3 years."

WTF? People sell their bikes? Say it ain't so!

I just keep my bikes. From time to time I will go out to my bike shed with a couple of beers and just stare at my bikes. I remember all the good times on them, examine various details, fantasize about developing my dream bike of various types, imagining how I'd build my own steel, ali or carbon bikes, where I could expand my bike shed to make a bike manufacturing facility to make one off bikes for myself. Or I'll make up some bits for one of them, knowing I won't actually ever ride that bike again but it will look nicer with the new part.

At my place, I'm am the last person to buy the bikes in my shed. I can't imagine why anyone would want to sell a bike, other than the guy at the bike store that sells them for a living.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Well let's hope that all the rich triathletes who buy new bikes every year do not outweigh ones like me who like the bikes but cannot afford them. I have a feeling I will be trying to find rim brake wheels/frames for a long time before I switch over. Not that I have any experience with disc breaks but because I don't want, ok need, to buy all new crap with every new fad that comes out.

Aren't you the guy who is already butt hurt that his bike isn't worth anything?

The irony.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha butt hurt is a harsh word but I know you love to get everyone nice and worked up! I was excited to check out the possibilities of getting a new bike. Then realized my bike wasn't worth shit to anyone which means I couldn't afford a new bike. So I am still riding my trusty DA! It works and I will be tweaking position this winter to get the most out of it.

But if I had to buy a new bike AND wheels AND powermeter that would just get way out of hand really fast.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
jrielley wrote:

Aren't you the guy who is already butt hurt that his bike isn't worth anything?

Nah dude, that's the guy selling his PR6 that bumps his thread every day and talks about what a sweet deal it is.

tweets.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Then realized my bike wasn't worth shit to anyone which means I couldn't afford a new bike.

But this is kind of what I'm saying! I'm not legitimately suggesting on a teacher's budget it makes sense to go pick up the new Cervelo, or even that it's possible. But my guess is you'll be able to get a nice Andean used in 18 months, with HED wheels on it and a good group, for $3500 or so. Flip it 18 months after that for, call it, $1200 less than you paid for it. What you've done is spent $75 per month on a bike lease, essentially, and you have great shit. Rinse and repeat.

If you think through the depreciation chart for a bicycle, there's a way to optimize your consumption of same, even for a teacher's budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh ok I see what you're saying. I thought you were basically saying "buy new now and sell your current bike because it won't be worth anything when disc comes out". So part of that is true but this would be ideal for me. I bought my first bike used, got a crash replacement from Felt and on my DA currently. Heck, maybe something will go wrong and I will get a new crash replacement IA for it! But if not I will wait for the first gen of the new bikes to make their way through the market then jump on a deal then.

I totally love the used bike market for parts and all that. Bought a basically brand new SRAM road set for like $300 last year because I waited for a good deal. But one also has to make sure you didn't keep things too long, like my DA. Before the IA10 it would be worth a bit more but now that you can get one of those at a good price no one wants the DA. I think we are saying the same thing I just am complaining more because I want what I can't have!

PubliusValerius wrote:
jrielley wrote:
Then realized my bike wasn't worth shit to anyone which means I couldn't afford a new bike.

But this is kind of what I'm saying! I'm not legitimately suggesting on a teacher's budget it makes sense to go pick up the new Cervelo, or even that it's possible. But my guess is you'll be able to get a nice Andean used in 18 months, with HED wheels on it and a good group, for $3500 or so. Flip it 18 months after that for, call it, $1200 less than you paid for it. What you've done is spent $75 per month on a bike lease, essentially, and you have great shit. Rinse and repeat.

If you think through the depreciation chart for a bicycle, there's a way to optimize your consumption of same, even for a teacher's budget.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally agree with this sentiment BUT buying this early will likely mean investing in the highest end bike in each manufacturers line. Waiting till this trend trickles down to the midnor low level bikes like a P2 is where the stronger value will come in my opinion just like I have MUCH better value in my currently set up P2 than I did in my P5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A.Hart wrote:
The top of the beam appears to be higher so that it now sits in-line with the top of the Aduro. On the current frame the Aduro or almost any aerobar sits higher than the top of the beam.

Also, if you look behind the crank arm, the FD mount arm is no longer there and in it's place is more frame material to fair the rear wheel. My guess is the FD mount is bolted to the other side like a more traditional braze-on mount would be.

For reference, I took some photos of my bike. A.Hart is spot on with his description of the differences between the current frame and the one in the photo. He has an eagle eye!

Maybe we'll get to see more at Kona?

Last edited by: writhe: Sep 27, 16 20:25
Quote Reply
Re: New Dimond Spotted at IMCHOO [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is definitely possible to design a bike to run two different brake styles. Any number of CX bikes have been built over the years with mounts for both discs and canti's so the frame can be built either way. For example: http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/...ls/Crosslight/CXRACE
Quote Reply

Prev Next