Prev Next
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got 90/90. it seemed as if 90s were sold out within 2 minutes
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I dont understand their model at all. I don't understand why they don't take 100% cash up front for shipments and everything is shipped in the order in which it is ordered. That gives them operating cash-flow and means you don't have to deal with the lottery type ordering situation that we have now.

They addressed this in their blog some time ago. I don't recall the specifics, and am too lazy to look it up, but recall something about the credit card processor refusing to deliver the cash until they shipped the goods.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking for something like a Flo 30 check out the Boyd Altamont. They actually hold inventory...what a concept.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
copperman wrote:
jackmott wrote:
I want to sell my services to them as a consultant.
"Guys we are going to raise prices until we sell stuff at the same rate that we make stuff"

You are right in econs 101 sense.

The thing is.. they would lose the hype that they have now "MUST BUY FAST OR IT SELL OUT"

If they were always available.. but a flo disc was $899 or $999... how many would sell?

The question is not "how many would sell?" (The answer, BTW, is "exactly what the demand is' Wink). The question is "how much more profit could they generate?"

One could make a case that they would still sell the same amount as they sell now (demand greatly out strips supply)....so for argument's sake, let's go with that assumption (since this is Econ 101, you always make assumptions!!)

For easy, round numbers, let's say they sell 1,000 wheelsets in each sale. Further, let's assume that they make $100 in profit for each wheelset. (totally making that up....have zero idea what their profitability is). So for each sale, they are making $100,000 in profit.

Now, for grins & giggles, let's assume they raise the price to $1500 and demand stays the same, but their sell-through rate slows slightly (sell out in a few days vs. minutes). Their overhead remains largely the same, so their profitability just went up by 50%, or $50,000. No extra work, no additional promotional cost, nothing....just adjusting the pricing to correctly reflect market demand.

The guys at FLO have been pretty open about not taking in outside investments, but also being somewhat cash-strapped. I respect trying to hold to their ideals, but access to cash to invest in their company is sitting right in front of them.

Not that it matters, because it's all hypothetical, but in your above example, what was the starting price you assumed? $1000? Because if they made $100 profit at $1000 sale price, and then raised the price to $1500, wouldn't they then be making $600 profit per sale? That's a lot more dineros in the bank.

Maybe also they recognize that part of their success is being affordable, and they want to stay true to that successful tactic in what is a competitive market. If they priced themselves closer to the higher priced competition, it is almost guaranteed their sales would drop.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriMike wrote:
If you are looking for something like a Flo 30 check out the Boyd Altamont. They actually hold inventory...what a concept.

I can vouch for the Boyd's, they are nice wheels, the altamont is very well made. Great training wheel or crit racing wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Power13 wrote:
copperman wrote:
jackmott wrote:
"Guys we are going to raise prices until we sell stuff at the same rate that we make stuff"

You are right in econs 101 sense.

The thing is.. they would lose the hype that they have now "MUST BUY FAST OR IT SELL OUT"

If they were always available.. but a flo disc was $899 or $999... how many would sell?

The question is not "how many would sell?" (The answer, BTW, is "exactly what the demand is' Wink). The question is "how much more profit could they generate?"

One could make a case that they would still sell the same amount as they sell now (demand greatly out strips supply)....so for argument's sake, let's go with that assumption (since this is Econ 101, you always make assumptions!!)

For easy, round numbers, let's say they sell 1,000 wheelsets in each sale. Further, let's assume that they make $100 in profit for each wheelset. (totally making that up....have zero idea what their profitability is). So for each sale, they are making $100,000 in profit.

Now, for grins & giggles, let's assume they raise the price to $1500 and demand stays the same, but their sell-through rate slows slightly (sell out in a few days vs. minutes). Their overhead remains largely the same, so their profitability just went up by 50%, or $50,000. No extra work, no additional promotional cost, nothing....just adjusting the pricing to correctly reflect market demand.

The guys at FLO have been pretty open about not taking in outside investments, but also being somewhat cash-strapped. I respect trying to hold to their ideals, but access to cash to invest in their company is sitting right in front of them.

Not that it matters, because it's all hypothetical, but in your above example, what was the starting price you assumed? $1000? Because if they made $100 profit at $1000 sale price, and then raised the price to $1500, wouldn't they then be making $600 profit per sale? That's a lot more dineros in the bank.

yeah, but their profitability still goes up by $50,000K. You are correct that their total profitability would be $600 / wheelset, but the incremental profit would be $500 / wheelset.

Quote:
Maybe also they recognize that part of their success is being affordable, and they want to stay true to that successful tactic in what is a competitive market. If they priced themselves closer to the higher priced competition, it is almost guaranteed their sales would drop.

There is a lot of area between those two extremes.....they can raise their prices to better increase profitability and still be extremely affordable vs. the competition. And again, based on demand and the number of people getting shut out, I don't think their actual sales woudl drop....IOW, they would still sell out.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still think you mean $500,000 not $50,000 (1000 units x $500 extra profit)
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
The only thing consumers hate worse than waiting in line or products being unavailable is variable pricing. All sorts of products are difficult to purchase at first until supply catches up with demand. Apple could easily charge a premium for a new iPhone the first month after it is released but they know that would alienate consumers. Flo wheels are just taking a little longer than most products to catch up up to demand.

The good news is the Flo 60 wheelset I am selling is probably holding its value a little better :)
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I dont understand their model at all. I don't understand why they don't take 100% cash up front for shipments and everything is shipped in the order in which it is ordered.

That is what they did in their very first order back in 2012. I waited 4-1/2 Months to get my wheels. They said they don't want to do it that way because people end up cancelling their orders, and they are afraid (right or not) that they would get stuck with wheels.

Not so much free hype when you just order a wheel and wait 18-20 weeks to get them.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Still think you mean $500,000 not $50,000 (1000 units x $500 extra profit)

Meh....only an extra zero. Wink

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Well then you also have to question their reading comprehension when you clearly point out that the numbers are "big, easy" numbers and based on assumptions to illustrate a point.

My point was that 50% was not a realistic number because of competition. You should have used 10-20% if you want to WAG some numbers. It's not just the limited supply that's at issue. It's the gamble you take to even successfully order FLO Wheels. Look at Williams wheels as a comparison. They are sold out of their carbon clinchers @$1200/set (basically on par with Zipp 404's in the wind tunnel) but you can order them right now on the website and they give you an estimated ship date.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [Dunbar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dunbar wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Well then you also have to question their reading comprehension when you clearly point out that the numbers are "big, easy" numbers and based on assumptions to illustrate a point.

My point was that 50% was not a realistic number because of competition. You should have used 10-20% if you want to WAG some numbers. It's not just the limited supply that's at issue. It's the gamble you take to even successfully order FLO Wheels. Look at Williams wheels as a comparison. They are sold out of their carbon clinchers @$1200/set (basically on par with Zipp 404's in the wind tunnel) but you can order them right now on the website and they give you an estimated ship date.

Did you hear a loud "whoosh" over your head recently?

Pick any damn number you want....I clearly stated what I was doing and why. It wasn't meant to be a study in price elasticity.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're still missing the point. They probably can't raise prices as much as people here seem to think. And this same FLO pre-order hoopla has been going on for what 3-4 years now? I'm sure it's great for the owners of FLO because they don't need to give away a portion of their company to build up inventory. But their customers/potential customers have been suffering for quite some time now. I'm not aware of any other cycling company that handles orders the way FLO does. Even just the ones who sell direct to customer.
Last edited by: Dunbar: Apr 16, 15 16:08
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM me about those 60s you have for sale if you're being serious. I happen to be in the market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dunbar wrote:
You're still missing the point. They probably can't raise prices as much as people here seem to think. And this same FLO pre-order hoopla has been going on for what 3-4 years now? I'm sure it's great for the owners of FLO because they don't need to give away a portion of their company to build up inventory. But their customers/potential customers have been suffering for quite some time now. I'm not aware of any other cycling company that handles orders the way FLO does. Even just the ones who sell direct to customer.

Yup, totally looks like their customers and potential customers have been suffering for quite some time now. Have they lost some sales? Sure. However, your statement is absurd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Joe Public wrote:
I think Jack's point was well made. When using hard numbers in a hypothetical, though, you shouldn't be surprised when people bring up points that touch on elasticity of demand and whether those numbers seem reasonable to them.

Optimizing revenue is kinda predicated on the elasticity demand; you can't just caveat out a central assumption.

TriMike wrote:

Yes, let's increase our working capital needs and storage costs.

jackmott wrote:
They may have some sort of stochastic and unpredictable arrangement with the manufacturer in order to keep costs lower.

Like the factory makes their wheels when they have spare capacity.

I dunno

Andrewmc wrote:
I dont understand their model at all. I don't understand why they don't take 100% cash up front for shipments and everything is shipped in the order in which it is ordered. That gives them operating cash-flow and means you don't have to deal with the lottery type ordering situation that we have now.

It also seems that they could adjust their prices to manage demand appropriately, or do some combination of both - have greater operating cash flow from running a waiting list whilst also increasing prices for margin.

I'd have ordered some, but could not be dealing with ordering wheels like I'm on ticket master, so I went with an alternative and paid more, but it was more straightforward and that was worth the difference in cost.

Probably a combination of:
- They're probably not big enough to sustain continuous production and buy time as it comes available (probably cheaper)
- Volume discounts / logistical simplicity for ocean-based shipping
- Same, except for customs declarations, etc.
- It's easier (both for them and for process) to spend a week shipping wheels than intermittently doing it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn those bastards. Running their own business the way they see fit. The audacity! We need laws in the this country to stop this kind of behavior!

Just busting your balls a little I feel for ya that stinks.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Apr 16, 15 16:27
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spread the wealth!!!
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
- They're probably not big enough to sustain continuous production and buy time as it comes available (probably cheaper)
- It's easier (both for them and for process) to spend a week shipping wheels than intermittently doing it

They wrote a blog post about it a couple years ago. In the bike industry you basically have to predict your entire sales for the year and pay for them ahead of time. You get essentially one shot to order wheels for the next 12 months. If you overestimate sales you get stuck with unsold inventory. They could order more wheels and stock inventory but they basically admitted that they were unwilling to do that. Their sales model is specifically designed to minimize the financial risk to FLO. They defend this by saying that they would have to raise prices to stock inventory. We've already established other brands are managing to better meet customer demand while charging competitive prices. And yes, the blog post basically came off as them complaining about how hard it is to start a business.
Last edited by: Dunbar: Apr 16, 15 16:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dunbar wrote:
aravilare wrote:

They wrote a blog post about it a couple years ago. In the bike industry you basically have to predict your entire sales for the year and pay for them ahead of time. You get essentially one shot to order wheels for the next 12 months. If you overestimate sales you get stuck with unsold inventory. They could order more wheels and stock inventory but they basically admitted that they were unwilling to do that. Their sales model is specifically designed to minimize the financial risk to FLO. They defend this by saying that they would have to raise prices to stock inventory. We've already established other brands are managing to better meet customer demand while charging competitive prices. And yes, the blog post basically came off as them complaining about how hard it is to start a business.

Shocking, a business seeking to maximize its own financial interests. I bought a pair of 60/90s and their support is good. If they don't want to increase their operating leverage, that's their prerogative.
Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzz wrote:
but that's ridiculous.

Do you want the wheels or not?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dunbar wrote:

Well, since you are hellbent on nitpicking and missing the point.....t hasn't been three or four years since they started shipping wheels.

Back on point, I am not suggesting they order enough product to start holding inventory. What I am suggesting (and have stated very clearly) is that there is a point to which they could raise prices, ease the rampant demand (and customer frustration) and still sell the wheels before they arrive. Is it $50 / wheel or $500 / wheel? Obviously it is somewhere in between those two extremes, but the point is it would increase revenue, profit and provide them with additional funds to invest in the company for product development, pay down debt or order more product or hire people or....or...or.

Quote Reply
Re: FLO Sells Out Again [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
Shocking, a business seeking to maximize its own financial interests. I bought a pair of 60/90s and their support is good. If they don't want to increase their operating leverage, that's their prerogative.

As I said, I get what's in it for Flo. Not so much for their customers...3 years down the line when their pre-orders still sell out in minutes. And yet their competitors somehow manage to offer wheels at competitive prices without making their customers wait for months for the potential opportunity to pre-order them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It does seem so simple: Increase prices or increase supply. Unfortunately it's not that simple. An increase in price could be tripped up by both cross and demand elasticity. It could also lower the value to the consumer. Increase in supply brings about an increase in average total costs. I know it's easy to think that if you sell more you make more, but it just isn't that simple.

Quote | Reply
Dunbar wrote:
aravilare wrote:

As I said, I get what's in it for Flo. Not so much for their customers...3 years down the line when their pre-orders still sell out in minutes. And yet their competitors somehow manage to offer wheels at competitive prices without making their customers wait for months for the potential opportunity to pre-order them.

Operating and financial leverage require capital and risk, and capital and risk cost money. Competitive is a weasel word; their competitors' prices are competitively higher. Race wheels are a non-essential good; I don't understand how you ascribe so much value to being able to instantly order some wheels.
Quote Reply

Prev Next