Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When faced with a tough decision like this, I find it helpful to weigh pros and cons:

Pros
  1. You get to race
  2. You won't lose any registration money
  3. Your season won't be a complete bust
  4. You get to do IMMT which you have been itching to do

Cons
  1. You die

Tough choice there. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't race. Whether or not your heart would be fine, your mind is already in the wrong spot. I race IMMT a month after a bad bike crash and had a crappy race-had to walk on the run (with my head down, in the rain)...The next year all was good and had the race I had hoped. I know it sucks to miss out on something like this-but don't let it be your LAST race if you know what I mean....

And more importantly, you wife and family will think you are a selfish asshole-which I know will not go over well. Mont Tremblant is beautiful, go to the Scandinavian Spa instead.

"If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health"
- Hippocrates, 460-370 BC
Quote Reply
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
When faced with a tough decision like this, I find it helpful to weigh pros and cons:

Pros
  1. You get to race
  2. You won't lose any registration money
  3. Your season won't be a complete bust
  4. You get to do IMMT which you have been itching to do

Cons
  1. You die

Tough choice there. Good luck.

So you're saying there are more pros than cons???

;-)

The decision has been made to not race. The one con mentioned above is really the only piece of criteria on which to base a decision. Is doing a stupid triathlon worth the chance (no matter how small of a chance) of possibly dropping dead. The answer is a resounding "Hell No!"

I have a cardiologist appointment on Thursday so we can start the testing and see what we can find out.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely get checked out by a cardiologist before ANY more races or training for that matter. Do you want to be that guy that drops dead during the latest IM race? I didn't think so. You have to be responsible given the situation. As another poster said, you have to think of your family. Triathlon is a lifestyle, but at the end of the day it is for health and enjoyment. Doing something counterproductive to your overall goals isn't sensible.

Transfer the registration to another race. Support your family at the race and perhaps volunteer as well. I had to get checked out once too. EKG, blood work, halter monitor, echocardiogram, stress test and tilt table test. It turned out everything was fine, but I am really glad moving forward that I was checked out. The peace of mind you will enjoy moving forward is invaluable.

UPDATE-I just read your last post. I'm really glad to see that you decided to pull the plug (no pun intended) on IMMT and get checked out. No matter the result, you won't regret it. If something is found then it's the best decision you ever made. If they don't find anything then you were being responsible to yourself and family. I'm glad you made the right decision. Good luck and I'm sure everything will work out fine!
Last edited by: mwanner1: Aug 4, 14 8:48
Quote Reply
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:

• Don't do the race and not risk something going wrong with my ticker

This. And volunteer if you will be there anyway.

Quote:
And more importantly, you wife and family will think you are a selfish asshole-which I know will not go over well. Mont Tremblant is beautiful, go to the Scandinavian Spa instead.

This. End of story. Frankly, doing this race shouldn't even be a consideration at this point. It's just not worth the risk. Best of luck to you!
Last edited by: devrock: Aug 4, 14 9:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, more pros than cons!

Good luck and let's hope this is a minor bump in the road.

I went through something similar this spring. Went through a battery of tests and was given the full steam ahead. Forget about your body, having the tests done set the mind right, too.

Best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blood work, stress test, echocardiogram came back perfect. It appears I don't have any heart issues. I have a follow up with the cardiologist when I get back from our Mont-Tremblant/Montreal vacation.

All that stated, I passed out in the elevator at the Marriott Residence Inn Mont-Tremblant on Friday night about 10 minutes after getting out of the hotel hot tub. Blood pressure dropped and out I went. Woke up in a pool of my own blood. The elevator floor looked like a crime scene. Head wounds bleed a lot. There's no evening/night urgent care in Mont-Tremblant so my wife had to drive me to the hospital in St. Agathe-Des-Monts about 30 miles away. Spent 5 hours there.

The hot tub clearly contributed to the low blood pressure drop but I should have been smart enough to know not to go in there with the blood pressure issues I have been having.

No post-massacre elevator pics. My wife almost threw up when she saw the elevator floor.

Pics:

Last edited by: GMAN19030: Aug 17, 14 8:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It appears I don't have any heart issues.

This line appears to be at odds with the rest of your post.

FWIW- even with the gash/ stitches, you're a handsome, handsome man.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
It appears I don't have any heart issues.

This line appears to be at odds with the rest of your post.

Right.

Medical science seems to think otherwise for now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might want to get checked out for orthostatic (postural) hypotension. I was sitting in a hot shower once, stood up and passed out cold. Something as simple as a B-12 deficiency can cause it. Combined with low BP and heart rate in endurance athletes it can be more pronounced. In my case it just runs in the family. But it's manageable if I watch what I'm doing.. like not standing up too quickly after sitting for a bit, avoiding the hot tub/sauna, etc.
Last edited by: RZ: Aug 17, 14 15:23
Quote Reply
Post deleted by shady [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All tests have been examined and everything shows a perfectly healthy and functional heart. I hadn't seen the doc since the Mont-Tremblant elevator episode so I had that story to tell when he asked how I had been feeling. He was confident that was just a coincidental vasovagal response to the hot tub but he wants me to go so an electrophysiologist and have some more testing just to rule abnormal heart rhythms that have not been apparent in any testing done so far. He thinks everything will be perfectly fine with that as well. That's an over abundance of caution kind of thing. So my ticker seems to be fine. I was given a greenlight to resume exercise but nothing extreme. His words were "No Ironman races or marathons in the next month or so until we can completely rule out any heart issues." So I'm going to start running some. I'm signed up for the Philly Marathon in November so I'm going to do some shorter distance running to stay active in hopes I can carry on with that and ramp it up soon.

Something is still off so I guess I need to go back to my doc and see what else. Maybe some more advanced blood screening to see if something else is causing issues. Or perhaps there is something I need to tweak when it comes to my diet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was sent to an electrophysiologist - probably 12 years ago now

I'd just finished a run on LSD in Chicago, got in to the apartment, sat down, was watching some golf, still had HRM on, HR spiked. Had not even got changed so, went out, crossed the road, walked in to the ED at the hospital which was literally at the end of the street - walk to desk, totally disinterested, just asked name, insurance, whats the problem - I said I think my HR's a little high, how high, 250-300 bpm - look at me like I'm an idiot, ask for my wrist to take my pulse - well that straightened them out, dont pass go, dont collect 200, straight to the front of the queue, in on a trolley, cardiologist on call, drips.

24 hours later pick up holter monitor from PCP, results wednesday night, referral in to electrophysiologist thursday / friday at northwestern - says have an ablation, i say what if I dont, he say's not a good idea, I said when can you do it, he said when do you want it, I said tomorrow - I think it was done within about 10 days, no exercise for a week, one week back then mrs t's

no problems since related to that - it was quite the experience
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update: Spent the last month wearing an eCardio monitoring device. Also did the Tilt Table test (I eventually passed out on it with the help of a nitro glycerine tablet).

I'm sure I'm gonna butcher some of the medical mumbo jumbo but after nearly two months of a bunch of tests I have been given an all clear. My heart is in perfect condition and functioning normally. So the good news is there's nothing wrong with my ticker.

The issues I have are:

1. Vasovagal Syncope
2. Bradycardia

Neither of these things presents a serious problem unless one has an underlying cardiac issue... which I thankfully do not. So I won't be dropping dead from a heart attack any time soon.

All humans have some level of vasovagal syncope as it's our body's natural response to certain things (like standing up really quickly after lying down or sitting for a period of time). It's that lightheadedness or dizziness felt due to a quick drop in blood pressure and heart rate. I have somehow developed a hypersensitivity to that response. My response is more severe than most people's response. I get dizzy and lightheaded more easily than most or pass out in a hotel elevator after being in the hot tub easier than most. :-)

Bradycardia is basically a slower than normal heart rate which often brings with it lower than normal blood pressure. Just about all endurance athletes have some level of bradycardia (and an associated largening of the heart) because the heart is a muscle and all that cardio works out that muscle.

So you can see why I'm having some issues because my heart rate and blood pressure are low to begin with so it doesn't take much to trigger my already sensitive vasovagal response.

So the docs suggested I just be mindful of my issues and be careful of the triggers that may cause me problems. Stay well hydrated and know the signs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem. I'm so glad that you posted this as it made me rethink things. When I have the pressure drop my heart goes into a vascular tachycardia-very high and very frightening. You're right about the rehydration but I think we should rehydrate with a sports drink containing electrolytes.
Quote Reply
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gman,

vasovagal sucks! but it's generally a term giving when md's have no idea why someone is fainting.

make sure you have someone check for WPW. it can come up a bit weird on ECG/EKG's.

good luck.

john
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jumped in late on this thread but 2 main things:

1) thanks for keeping us updated
2) glad its all working out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having been dealing with very similar problems from 2011-2013 and finally having had a full year of health back this year I know where you are coming from. Good to see you are doing well. It's good to be given a green light on activity and health but I am still precautions in many ways. Keep in tune with your body and your heart.
Quote Reply
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I'd just finished a run on LSD in Chicago, got in to the apartment, sat down, was watching some golf, still had HRM on, HR spiked.

LSD, the drug?
Quote Reply
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [eatmydirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eatmydirt wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
I'd just finished a run on LSD in Chicago, got in to the apartment, sat down, was watching some golf, still had HRM on, HR spiked.

LSD, the drug?

Yes. The sweet old Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds sports enhancer. Chicago has a problem with it, especially with people who do their Long Slow Distance runs. Even worse on Lake Shore Drive.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
gman,

vasovagal sucks! but it's generally a term giving when md's have no idea why someone is fainting.

make sure you have someone check for WPW. it can come up a bit weird on ECG/EKG's.

good luck.

john

My heart is spot on from an electrical standpoint. I don't have tachycardia symptoms at all... I actually have the opposite.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad to hear good news on your health. Thanks for the update!
Quote Reply

Prev Next