Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Potential heart issues with IMMT looming
Quote | Reply
44 year old male. Let's call me a FOMOP triathlete (sub-11 IM, sub-5 HIM, 2:20-ish Oly). Top 10-20% depending on the race.

Done 5 IMs, 10 HIMs, several Oly and sprint races.

6'0" tall and in excellent shape. Only medical issues are seasonal allergies and exercise induced asthma. My typical walk around weight is 170-ish. Typical race weight is 160-ish.

This year has been tough. I had a bout with epididymitis earlier this year that took about 2.5 months to clear up. It ruined my early season as I had to DNS the Texas 70.3, and an Oly race that were both in April. I was also registered for IMCdA but transferred out of that race and into IMC because I couldn't start training until late-April.

I had my FTP as high as 303 in either 2011 or 2012 but have basically just done IM training ever since so my FTP normally hovers around 270 when in peak IM shape. I rode both IMC and IMFL at 200 watts last year and had my best IM runs in each race. I normally train from Jan-Nov each year.

I just felt off as soon as I started training this year. Power, speed, etc. just weren't where they were the past couple of years, especially on the bike which is normally my strongest discipline. I initially chalked it up to starting 3.5 months late in my training. The power still wasn't coming around so I then chalked it up to it being 100 degrees out (I live in the Houston area). The power just never came around even when I hit peak (or near peak) shape a few weeks back. Last year I was busting out 4.5 hour rides during the summer at 210 watts and this year I was struggling to hit 175 watts. My training was otherwise excellent despite not being as "powerful" as seasons past. Very consistent and put in the time.

The one thing I noticed was that my blood pressure had become low. Not super low but around 100/65... which is about 10 units lower for each number than usual. I was also having a lot of issues with lightheadedness and dizziness, which I assumed was due to the low blood pressure. I never fainted or blacked out but came close a couple of times both right after a long training day and at random times.

I don't think I experienced any chest tightness or other perceived heart issues but I guess it's hard to tell that from asthma.

Fast forward to IMC this past weekend. I DNF'd about 6 miles into the run after my leg cramped up around mile 80 of the bike and kept seizing up on the run. I felt "off" on the bike even before the cramping issues. They check your vitals in the med tent and the doc was somewhat concerned about my blood pressure, heart rate and heartbeat. My blood pressure was like 92/56, my pulse was 38 (resting is normally 48-55 when I'm in peak shape) and so faint he had to use a machine to measure it, and my heartbeat was somewhat irregular. He explained that isn't entirely uncommon after several hours of exertion but this was also about 90 minutes after I stopped "running." He asked me a series of questions... Do I get lightheaded, have I ever been diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat, etc. I have a full physical done every two years for my job (EKG, blood work, hearing, vision, etc. with the treadmill stress test every four years). My last treadmill stress test showed a minor irregularity in my heartbeat but the doc wasn't super concerned but told me to just pay attention to it. The IMC med tent doc advised me to go see my doc when I got home.

Today I went and saw my doc. Exam, EKG and blood work. Blood work obviously not back yet but the EKG revealed some issues that the doc would consider minor if I were your average lazy, American fatass but I'm not. He wants me to see a cardiologist so I can get more advanced testing (echocardiogram, stress test, etc.). Makes sense.

My issue is I'm registered for Ironman Mont-Tremblant on August 17th. Brother and sister doing this as their first IM race. I can't get a cardiologist appointment in time before the race (I'm going to work some connections to see if I can get a an earlier appointment somehow). I most certainly want to make the most educated decision I can. Odds are the testing will comeback as nothing major but it also might not.

So my thought process is something like this:
  • Don't do the race and not risk something going wrong with my ticker.
  • Do the race because odds are nothing is really wrong and I'd feel like an asshole bailing on the race and finding out after that my ticker is perfectly fine.
  • People will say you can always do another IM race so why risk it (agreed) but I'm pretty much done with full IM racing so there's not another race. Been itching to do IMMT since it was announced.
  • I'm pissed my season has been a complete bust. Bailing on IMMT would make me 0-5 for this year.
  • Going to Mont-Tremblant regardless of whether I race or not. We have a 10-day vacation planned around it.

Mostly thinking outloud here more than seeking advice but whatever words are welcome. Obviously doing a race isn't worth potentially risking my health/life and I really want to have the testing done before carrying on. It's the only smart thing to do. Just wish I had more time.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: GMAN19030: Jul 31, 14 21:55
Quote Reply
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  • Don't do the race and not risk something going wrong with my ticker

This. And volunteer if you will be there anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear bro. Hope everything turns out ok for you.
In meantime head up to Tremblant for the vacation and to support. No race BUT enjoy some unstructured training while there. You will love the place - if not already visited.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't your primary care doc pull some strings to get you in sooner?

Sure seems clear something has been going on for months so it isn't a one time occurrence.

If you have kids and a wife, I'd say don't race until you know what is going on as number 1 or 3 choices are not ones anyone wants. As a family volunteer at IMMT. My kids love volunteering at IMs especially on the run when they can cheer for each athlete by name.

I hope you get answers soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, have a wife and 9 year old son. My wife doesn't want me racing until I get a clean bill of health.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Yes, have a wife and 9 year old son. My wife doesn't want me racing until I get a clean bill of health.

And I wouldn't if I was you. . . .Why risk it, you know?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although not a cardiologist, what does your doc suggest ?
I would go by his recommendation, not ST.
Really sorry to hear about all this.
Last edited by: marcag: Aug 1, 14 2:28
Quote Reply
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't race. Not worth it. I dropped my '10 IMLP registration as soon as I realized I couldn't train properly and almost passed out on an easy run from my a-fib issues. Endurance racing/training is not worth dying for. Especially with a family.

Last edited by: Daremo: Aug 1, 14 4:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:

In my world, this would have a lot stronger vote than anything ST could tell me. You seem to have people much closer to you than us (Wife, doctor) telling you not to race at this time. Emotionally, I understand your conflict. Intellectually, this shouldn't even be a discussion. Don't race, at least until you know more about your overall health.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Although not a cardiologist, what does your doc suggest ?
I would go by his recommendation, not ST.
Really sorry to hear about all this.

He suggests seeing the cardiologist before soldiering on.

Quote Reply
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

In my world, this would have a lot stronger vote than anything ST could tell me. You seem to have people much closer to you than us (Wife, doctor) telling you not to race at this time. Emotionally, I understand your conflict. Intellectually, this shouldn't even be a discussion. Don't race, at least until you know more about your overall health.

I know there's no other intelligent option here and I said as much probably 3-4 times in my initial post. I know what I have to do. I just don't like it and I'm pissed off this is happening. I was one of Chris G's teammates so I know what the worst case scenario is to me and my family and I don't want that. I'm a big fan of being alive.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You said it's your brother and sister's first full IM. Based on your experience, if you were racing I'm assuming you would only see them on the start line. One of the positives of not racing is that you should be able to see them and cheer them on several times during the day.

Tremblant is an awesome vacation spot. I did the 70.3 in June, and my family loved it there so much that we decided to book a ski holiday there this winter.

Go there and enjoy it!
Quote Reply
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [expat_dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
expat_dan wrote:
You said it's your brother and sister's first full IM. Based on your experience, if you were racing I'm assuming you would only see them on the start line. One of the positives of not racing is that you should be able to see them and cheer them on several times during the day.

Tremblant is an awesome vacation spot. I did the 70.3 in June, and my family loved it there so much that we decided to book a ski holiday there this winter.

Go there and enjoy it!

There's good odds I'd lap my sister on lap #2 of the bike and lap my brother on the run. :-)

Otherwise agreed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you become a cheerleader. When you're not rooting for the family, root for me. I'll be doing IMMT. That will a least give you more to focus on. Plus, you get bonus points if you actually wear a cheerleader outfit.

I'd like for you to stay alive too, my ST friend.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm dealing with the same thing. Got a follow up cardio appt coming up on Monday. I'll wear their heart monitor for 48 hours and see what comes of it. Thankfully I've got a bit more time than you (IMFL).

I'd skip it. Hopefully get a clean bill of health. And then sign up for Cozumel. Why not a tropical vacation for the family after Thanksgiving?

USAT Level 1 Coach
redrockmultisport@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [Mtneer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a wearable event monitor such as "King of Hearts" your cardiologist will know what this is.

I have PVC's a non life threatening irregularity, my earliest recolection of it was at 15yrs old. It got much more noticable after a few years of IM training, I think do to the increase in stroke volume made it easier to feel. I had it diagnosed by wearing an event monitor 24 hrs a day for 1 week during work outs etc. In my case Doc said don't worry have at. My biggest issue has been Identifying the triggers. For me dehydration (Electrolytes) is the big one the others are fatigue and alcohol.

My back grond 47 yrs old 5'8" when training hard 20-30 hrs a week, 160lbs. resting hr of 38bpm. As an aside After 10yrs of IM training multiples per year 2 Kona's I took the last 2 years off, my episodes became much more frequent and pronounced. Checked with the Doc nothing had changed, he suggested I train more consistently. As soon as I started training my episodes imediately started to subside.

Long story short, It should not take long to figure out then make your decision.
Quote Reply
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [CustomCoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CustomCoach wrote:
Get a wearable event monitor such as "King of Hearts" your cardiologist will know what this is.

I have PVC's a non life threatening irregularity, my earliest recolection of it was at 15yrs old. It got much more noticable after a few years of IM training, I think do to the increase in stroke volume made it easier to feel. I had it diagnosed by wearing an event monitor 24 hrs a day for 1 week during work outs etc. In my case Doc said don't worry have at. My biggest issue has been Identifying the triggers. For me dehydration (Electrolytes) is the big one the others are fatigue and alcohol.

My back grond 47 yrs old 5'8" when training hard 20-30 hrs a week, 160lbs. resting hr of 38bpm. As an aside After 10yrs of IM training multiples per year 2 Kona's I took the last 2 years off, my episodes became much more frequent and pronounced. Checked with the Doc nothing had changed, he suggested I train more consistently. As soon as I started training my episodes imediately started to subside.

Long story short, It should not take long to figure out then make your decision.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I don't have much time at all to figure things out and make a decision on IMMT. I pretty much have until next Thursday. My bike needs to be dropped off for TBT next Thursday and then we're headed out a few days later. I also need to look at this from a dollar and cents standpoint. No sense in sending my bike off and paying for it when I won't need it. Odds of getting into the cardiologist and having test results back by Wednesday are probably slim to none. Working on that but not likely at all.

Quote Reply
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [Mtneer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mtneer wrote:

I'd skip it. Hopefully get a clean bill of health. And then sign up for Cozumel. Why not a tropical vacation for the family after Thanksgiving?

Thought about that. Problem comes down to time and expense. I just took a week off for IMC and I'm taking 10 days for IMMT (in addition to other days off plus I took 7 weeks off last year). Costs for travel and such to both races will exceed $10,000. I don't want to absorb a third hit. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Descretion is the better part of valor, particularly when dealing with potential cardiac issues.

You have a responsibility to your young family to find out what's going on. There will always be more races.

I'll admit to some conservative bias since I've been through open heart surgery to fix a heart valve. I feel fortunate to be able to do this stuff, but if I couldn't, then I'd have no problem finding other hobbies and interests. Life's not always fair, and all you can do is play the hand you're dealt.

Good luck. Will keep you in our thoughts & prayers.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Mtneer wrote:

Thought about that. Problem comes down to time and expense. I just took a week off for IMC and I'm taking 10 days for IMMT (in addition to other days off plus I took 7 weeks off last year). Costs for travel and such to both races will exceed $10,000. I don't want to absorb a third hit. :-)

GMAN....what about the option of rolling with the trip, cardiac stuff or not. Ship your bike up. If you get into the cardiologist before you fly up and get a clean slate, you are set to race. You just had the perfect long swim-long bike-short run training day at Whistler so you are perfectly set up for Tremblant. If the cardiologist has concerns, then you go to Tremblant, and just do a fun training weekend. The place is amazing for training. While the mountains are less spectacular than Whistler and the resort the smaller, the roads on a day to day basis are much better in terms of less traffic congestion. The Sea to Sky highway in Whistler is awesome on race day, but somewhat busy otherwise. Tremblant is much less busy for riding.

I say you just plan to come up. Clean bill means you race, question mark means you train and support your family members. Win win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't read through all posts, but can you post your EKG on here, and have you had an echocardiogram (ultrasound of your heart) yet? Depends on what your primary doctor is seeing and what an echo shows, in regards to risk. ER doctor here.. just my 2 cents. Your doctor should be able to order that first without the cardiology visit.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a race director, wife, and mom, I respectfully request you not toe the line.
There will be plenty of racing opportunities in your future once you resolve the potential problem.
If the RD of IMMT knew you had a potential problem and are currently under doctor's advisement not to race; the RD would refuse your entry.
Best wishes that all is ok, but really.....sit this one out.

Kat Donatello
2015 Betty Designs Team
RD, The Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival
http://www.pumpkinmantriathlon.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Potential heart issues with IMMT looming [giddy-up-n-go] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kat,
I'm not racing. I fancy myself a relatively intelligent individual and I know that toeing the line without having a clean bill of health is monumentally idiotic. My wife wouldn't allow it anyway (and she has a $1 million dollar payday if I were to drop dead so I guess she must actually love me)... nor would my brother and sister who are racing. My guess is my wife will hide my tri bike so that I can't even take it to the shop for transport by TBT.
:-)

Last edited by: GMAN19030: Aug 2, 14 17:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Kat,
I'm not racing. I fancy myself a relatively intelligent individual and I know that toeing the line without having a clean bill of health is monumentally idiotic. My wife wouldn't allow it anyway (and she has a $1 million dollar payday if I were to drop dead so I guess she must actually love me)... nor would my brother and sister who are racing. My guess is my wife will hide my tri bike so that I can't even take it to the shop for transport by TBT.
:-)

The problem with this plan is that there are probably 100 bikes to pick from at the expo that you could race on in the event you get a clean bill of health which I suspect you will. Hopefully we can catch up at Tremblant! I say ship the bike with the plan of just exploring the Tremblant region on the bike and supporting your family members on race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow man, sorry to hear about this. Things seemed to be going decent early on at Whistler. I know you kept me motivated a number of times through the race. Hopefully it is just a minor scare and you'll be back with a vengeance next year.

Definitely ship your bike off and enjoy some easy ride time around the area before the race.

Hope to see you back at Whistler next year (doh, did I just say that? I haven't told my wife yet).
Quote Reply

Prev Next