Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [Big-Pete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
price is 1699$. That is official price for the vector set. not someone trying to up the stack.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and now this makes that pricing seem a little extreme...
http://velonews.competitor.com/...-price-by-510_297666

- Pete

Luckily my over eating disorder is offset by my over exercising disorder
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big-Pete wrote:

$789 for a G3 hub is a pretty compelling deal. The whole training versus racing wheel debate gets a little trickier when you consider that you can get 2 G3 hubs for less than one Vector or Quarq. However, you still have to build them into wheels, and you of course don't have the portability.

Assuming there aren't any major issues with durability or wear with these pedal based systems, then I think they're definitely the way of the future. Part of me still thinks that I'd still rather have the versatility and portability of 1 system like the Vector versus having 2 hubs laced into wheels.

However, that would all change real quick if I could get the hub into the right wheel. Lace a G3 into a FLO30 for example. There you've got a killer all around wheel, then put a disc cover on it for racing and a deeper carbon wheel up front-- forget about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supposedly my shop will have them on Aug. 8th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heard the Polar Pedals will be Bluetooth compatible and have a new completely new head unit to pair with in the very near future. That plus the known quality of Look would possible make that a better value than the Vector.

Will echo and I am not necessarily a Polar fan but there stuff works forever my Garmin's all bit the big one and had to be warrantied.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big-Pete wrote:

i've been holding off buying a power meter because i train + race on 3 different bikes (that's a lot of wheelsets), but saw that and thought "now i would buy powertap."

too late, though, as it would cost a mint to rebuild 4 sets of wheels (3 training, 1 racing - and i don't even think you can rebuild a stinger disc).
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [tegra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if the $1699 will hold that long. Garmin products are rarely discounted in Australia - and there are websites that are selling for $1499 plus a $150 voucher. Typically we pay more than anyone for cycling gear down here too...

http://99bikes.com.au/...eV3rgCFSEl4godIFEARw
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [lmbasell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lmbasell wrote:
Not sure if the $1699 will hold that long. Garmin products are rarely discounted in Australia - and there are websites that are selling for $1499 plus a $150 voucher. Typically we pay more than anyone for cycling gear down here too...

Not just cycling gear - pretty much everything judging by our last visit. It's one of the two worst things about Australia...that, and the flies :-)
Last edited by: zamm0: Aug 2, 13 2:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lmbasell wrote:

With an MSRP of $1699, I think tht we'll see many of the discounters all over the world pricing these at $1500 out the door. Perhaps Garmin is counting on this. Whatever the case, it's nice to see the competition heating up in the industry. It would appear that this has finally started to drive prices in a more favorable direction..........think yesterday's PowerTap announcment and recent Quarq upgrades while holding their price point. All good news for power meter users.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm guessing that the powertap price reduction caught garmin off guard and now second guessing their MSRP
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [samoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it's interesting, we've arguably hit the point where there enough competitors in the market where price discipline starts to break down. IIRC, the tipping point is generally around five. So for power meters, we've got SRM, Quarq, Powertap, Stages, P2Max, Look and now Garmin. Presumably, many of those are more than breakeven on their initial investments and have gotten much greater manufacturing efficiency/lower COGs. Certainly seems to be the case for Power tap.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [samoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
samoots wrote:
i'm guessing that the powertap price reduction caught garmin off guard and now second guessing their MSRP

I was thinking the same thing...I posted in another thread, wondering if it would cause them to re-think their MSRP...

With the cost of PT that low, you could almost buy two PT for the price of the Vector and not have to worry about changing the pedals...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin as taken a huge hit on the discounter market. There is now at least in north america a inforced MSRP. Within the past 3 months, they have closed most of the discounter and any shop that dosnt respect pricing lose there garmin rights.

no way we will see discount on the pedals. We have a sold out status on those for the next few months. The reality is, people see those as very easy to swap, easier and less intimidating than any other powermeter on the market and it s also the easiest powermeter to travel with. Can be use on compact crank and normal crank. mtb crank etc.

in term of simplicity, it is on it s own. Now the big question is, how much testing as been done on it and how smooth will it be at the start.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a complete supporter of the Metrigear Vector a couple of years ago. I liked the price point, the technology seemed like the best option and in the end, it was more for less.

Since then, Garmin stepped it, the product has been delayed, and the price almost doubled. Not sure exact, but Metrigear had targeted around $800 initially, might have been closer to $1000, but was in that range.

Since then, I went PowerTap, got a sweet deal where was like 40% off, and basically only have power on my training wheelset, but still was a cheap option and while the Mavic OpenPro may not be the best wheelset, it is close to bullet proof.

Since then, the Vector Price has come close to double, I have been through 4, yes 4 Garmin 910XTs (waiting on 5th) so not only is the proposition now either even money, or Vector being more expensive, I have doubts about the durability of the Vector, not to mention the larger potential for crash damage. With the PowerTaps, especially when one can have multiple wheelsets for the same price, it greatly minimizes not only downtime, but is a cheaper option.

Maybe the Vector and Quarq / SRM provide a little more data like L/R, but cost wise the Power Tap seems like a no brainer.. Something tells me there will be seasonal sales as well, and I will be looking to have my 808 relaced and replace the hub and still be cheaper than the vector and have power on both training and race rides (with the exception of my disc)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonnyo,

Thanks for the information on Garmin's stance on discounters. Do you know if the Vector will work with very short cranks like 155mm? That certainly would make them interesting to an even broader group of enthusiasts.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It might be the stiffest crank ever made but I'd be willing to bet that for 99.999% of people here...crank stiffness is irrelevant. If it isn't made out of rubber then it's stiff enough for what we do.

Big-Pete wrote:
...and it is the stiffest crank ever made, so I am not planning on giving that up)
quote]
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
It seems odd that they're entering mass production, yet the Garmin team doesn't appear to be using them. Perhaps the execs on the call have a more liberal definition of 'entering mass production' than I'm used to.

I agree, if they are so close, why wasn't a big showing/debut made at Le Tour?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [tgrunnin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is no point in doing a ''big show'' intreoduction for those pedals. People know about them. for once, garmin was aware that we needed to be cautious about making sure we have stock before releasing them. Making sure all glitch/production issue, stock issue would be taken care so we can support the product as it comes out next week.

So, team garmin wasn't a high priority in this case, make sure the product work and produce as intended for the mass market was the key point.

For those coming to challenge penticton, come over to the Bike Barn and we will be happy to have you try on a pair and see for yourself.

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [tgrunnin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgrunnin wrote:
gregf83 wrote:
It seems odd that they're entering mass production, yet the Garmin team doesn't appear to be using them. Perhaps the execs on the call have a more liberal definition of 'entering mass production' than I'm used to.

I agree, if they are so close, why wasn't a big showing/debut made at Le Tour?

Think this is sort of like the 910XT which seemed a bit rushed out the door. I think there are still issues with the Vector and it is at the cusp of being one of those products that never makes it to market and Garmin is finally at the "well we have sunk all this money" "lets get it out the door"

I think some will be pleased with it, but expecting a lot of people to have issues and it to the stability of the 910XT (i.e. lot of failures) compared to the 305.

The 310xt I think was a solid middle of the road device with one major design flaw being the screen not being recessed enough and not having enough protection.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:
I was a complete supporter of the Metrigear Vector a couple of years ago. I liked the price point, the technology seemed like the best option and in the end, it was more for less.

Since then, Garmin stepped it, the product has been delayed, and the price almost doubled. Not sure exact, but Metrigear had targeted around $800 initially, might have been closer to $1000, but was in that range.

Since then, I went PowerTap, got a sweet deal where was like 40% off, and basically only have power on my training wheelset, but still was a cheap option and while the Mavic OpenPro may not be the best wheelset, it is close to bullet proof.

Since then, the Vector Price has come close to double, I have been through 4, yes 4 Garmin 910XTs (waiting on 5th) so not only is the proposition now either even money, or Vector being more expensive, I have doubts about the durability of the Vector, not to mention the larger potential for crash damage. With the PowerTaps, especially when one can have multiple wheelsets for the same price, it greatly minimizes not only downtime, but is a cheaper option.

Maybe the Vector and Quarq / SRM provide a little more data like L/R, but cost wise the Power Tap seems like a no brainer.. Something tells me there will be seasonal sales as well, and I will be looking to have my 808 relaced and replace the hub and still be cheaper than the vector and have power on both training and race rides (with the exception of my disc)

I've gone through NINE Garmin 910xts and one Garmin swim. Would I drop 1600 on something from Garmin? No, not a chance.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has been frustrating to say the least. My last 910xt lasted 10 days, if that. Since it was a replacement, decided to do the firmware upgrade sooner than later to see if I ran into barometer/altimeter issues sooner rather than later since they started swapping with refurbs instead of new units with shorter warranties... Update failed and then got the "software missing" message.

At least with the 500, I could plug in a USB and force a load of the firmware. Would have been nice if the Garmin allowed this to happen with the recharging clip the same way, but sadly it doesn't.

But yeah. Given my last year with Garmin, I am leaning to waiting a year or more to see how a product hashes out.

That is not to say they are all bad. I am sure there are a LARGE number of people who have had solid luck and no issues from day one, but I think the rate of failure is a lot higher than compared to models from earlier years.

My mileage may be different, but zero issues with my 305, and the person I sold mine too has had no issues and still going strong.
My 310xt was solid. Not sure who has it now, but never skipped a beat
910xt.... My thinking is they should sell them in pairs, provide the back-up to begin with and then that way you are not SOL and waiting for the unit to be repaired or swapped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean by 'huge hit'? Even the discounters would have paid Garmin the same price as anyone else. Maybe you meant to say other retailers of Garmin products that are not 'discounters' took a huge hit. Regardless, Garmin has a right to protect the perception of their brand by selecting retail outlets carefully. In the courts, price discounting has been proven to affect brand perception. Garmin can't dictate minimum selling prices, but they CAN dictate minimum advertised prices. I suppose they have cut off some of the internet based discounters to protect their brand. OK, their choice. But at $1,699, they are going to have a problem with alternative power options. This is coming from a guy that wanted to switch to the Vector pedals, but for that much I'll just stick with the PT, thank-you. The earlier comment noting that you could buy two PT hubs for the cost of one set of Vector pedals rings true for me. However, I don't ride my tri-bike too much anymore since I just cycle now.

Regarding your comments about the pedals being easier to swap, keep in mind a lot of people don't need to swap. Besides, I can swap my rear wheel off of one bike onto another faster than I can swap pedals. And, I don't understand what you mean about Vector being less intimidating. For the record, my PT has never scared me...not even once. A lot of times, I have looked back there at it and it has never made a mean face at me or anything. ;-) I can also use the PT with any crank, just like the Vector pedals. I'll agree that they are easy to travel with if you are going somewhere to ride another bike. If you are packing your own bike, well, what's the difference between packing your rear wheel with a PT hub and packing your Vector pedals?

I know you are looking forward to offering this great new product to your customers, but I just wanted you to see the proposition from a customer's perspective. At that price point, I don't see Garmin selling too many after the initial early adopters. Personally, I'd be a buyer at around $1,000 or $1,200 or so provided they didn't have a bunch of new product glitches.

JMHO,
Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to see some way to "lock" these pedals into the crank arms. I'm guessing any pedal with the "Garmin" label on them will become a popular item to steal once people realize what they are.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [jnnak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cable lock through the toe loops... unless the thief has a set of bolt cutters or an appropriate set of cartridge spanners. The thing is, if you had a bike with ANY power meter then would you leave it in a place where theft was a likely problem? As is being discussed here ad infinitum, cranks and rear wheels can be removed nearly as quickly (or more quickly) as a set of pedals.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>Garmin as taken a huge hit on the discounter market. There is now at least in north america a inforced MSRP. Within the past 3 months, they have closed most of the discounter and any shop that >dosnt respect pricing lose there garmin rights.

I'm usually not petty enough to point out grammar errors, but *damn*!
Quote Reply

Prev Next