Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry my friend but english is my second language. I m not here as a official representative but simply a passionate of our sport. I m sure if i write in french, there wont be a single mistake. but i m pretty sure everyone got the main idea of my message in frenglish...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [HomerJSimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HomerJSimpson wrote:
Heard the Polar Pedals will be Bluetooth compatible and have a new completely new head unit to pair with in the very near future. That plus the known quality of Look would possible make that a better value than the Vector.

Will echo and I am not necessarily a Polar fan but there stuff works forever my Garmin's all bit the big one and had to be warrantied.

I have owned multiple kinds of Timex, Polar, and Garmin devices, and I have had issues with all of them at some point. However, the only issue I ever had with a Garmin was a firmware update that went bad and ended up with a 310XT that was essentially dead. Contacted Garmin and they sent me a new one, even though it was past the warranty, since it was their firmware update that went bad. While I was waiting, I pulled out my FR305 that was 5-6 years old and it worked like a champ.

Spot

Quote | Reply
jnnak wrote:
I would like to see some way to "lock" these pedals into the crank arms. I'm guessing any pedal with the "Garmin" label on them will become a popular item to steal once people realize what they are.
I've never carried a lock for my bike which has an SRM and Garmin 800 mounted on it. If I were a thief I would take the whole bike not mess around trying to remove some fancy pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
It might be the stiffest crank ever made but I'd be willing to bet that for 99.999% of people here...crank stiffness is irrelevant. If it isn't made out of rubber then it's stiff enough for what we do.

Big-Pete wrote:
...and it is the stiffest crank ever made, so I am not planning on giving that up)
quote]

You obviously don't weigh as much as I do!

- Pete

Luckily my over eating disorder is offset by my over exercising disorder
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Lauren Goss [ In reply to ]
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [Big-Pete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The vector is out!

Website/Blog|Lauren Goss Racing |Follow me @lauren_goss
"http://laurengoss.com/newsletter/"] Subscribe to my *NEW* Newsletter [/url]|
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [Lauren Goss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, I really regret not holding out... just didn't have the discipline or will power I guess. What will I do with 7 years of accurate, consistent SRM power data from thousands of hours of training and racing? Oh well.

Lauren Goss wrote:
The vector is out!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know right. All those stage race adventures where I punched above my weight by perfect TT pacing with my powertap the last 3 years I coulda saved my money.

ericM40-44 wrote:
wow, I really regret not holding out... just didn't have the discipline or will power I guess. What will I do with 7 years of accurate, consistent SRM power data from thousands of hours of training and racing? Oh well.

Lauren Goss wrote:
The vector is out!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:

Lauren Goss wrote:
The vector is out!

not to mention that on DC "review" stages at $699 matches pretty evenly with quarq/pt/vector...

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok this is some goofey logic if I ever heard it. It is like saying you don't want a P5 because your P3 has been serving you well for 8 yrs. It is the latest toy. It has some interesting benefits and looks, from 24 hrs worth of data, to be a solid offering. The real question is it worth $900 more than a Stages or $700 more than a powertap with an alloy wheelset?

p.s. I realize that I am stretching it a bit with the P5 vs. P3 comparison because Cervelo provided data from the get go that the P5 was aerodynamically faster, but I don't think it is any more of a stretch than your logic.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
Ok this is some goofey logic if I ever heard it. It is like saying you don't want a P5 because your P3 has been serving you well for 8 yrs. It is the latest toy. It has some interesting benefits and looks, from 24 hrs worth of data, to be a solid offering. The real question is it worth $900 more than a Stages or $700 more than a powertap with an alloy wheelset?

p.s. I realize that I am stretching it a bit with the P5 vs. P3 comparison because Cervelo provided data from the get go that the P5 was aerodynamically faster, but I don't think it is any more of a stretch than your logic.

Yea, I'm not sure "waiting" for it is the right idea. I know I wasn't really at all in the market for a powermeter several years ago, whereas I'm at least considering the possibility of one in the near future. For me, this would actually be my cheapest option because even Stages I would have to buy a whole new crankset for one of my bikes (which do not have the same BB...)
I really do like the simplicity of this, and you can tell me all you want about how easy it is to change wheels and change cranks, and that's true, but I use different cranks/BBs on different bike (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) and use different wheels on different bikes. I don't, however, use different pedals. As it is now, I only have one pair of road pedals that I swap back and forth as needed.
The only thing about this is that Garmin's press release mentioned the Edges and the Forerunner 910, but nothing about the Forerunner 310, even though the 310 is supposed to be PM-compatible. I know it doesn't do left/right balance, but I'd still like to know if this would work with a 310.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It SHOULD display power on any head unit that displays power.... that is the benefit of using an open standard like ANT+. You are correct about the L/R balance not displaying, as far as I know that is not actually in the standard yet, but has been proposed last I heard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quote ericM40-44 "wow, I really regret not holding out... just didn't have the discipline or will power I guess. What will I do with 7 years of accurate, consistent SRM power data from thousands of hours of training and racing? Oh well."

Your logic is ridiculous...

I'm really looking forward to all of you finishing patting yourselves on the back for not waiting so we can start a proper discussion about the vector. What exactly does that add to the conversation? I could tell you that I didn't buy an SRM and went with powertap instead, but that would be equally ridiculous.

I also didn't wait and installed powertaps in my training and racing wheels... but I'm still intrigued by the Vector. If it proves to be reliable, functional, and durable it will be another great product out of many great choices in the power meter market. Personally I'd love to briefly rent a set. I'm having a lot of right leg issues in the last couple years and I'd love to see whats happening on the bike on my bad days with my left/right power. Of course since I already own a power meter I'm not interested in purchasing one. So whose going to buy a set and then rent them to me?
Last edited by: Nickwisdom: Aug 7, 13 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [Nickwisdom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DCRainmaker's First Hands on

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...n-garmin-vector.html
Last edited by: Sword: Aug 7, 13 7:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well another difference in the analogy is that I consider the powertap to be a superior product, rather than inferior =)

pyrahna wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it might be a little early, given that it was released to the public today, to be saying one product is inferior to the other. Time will tell on multiple fronts as to what the superior product is. And this is coming from someone who bought a powertap two months ago, has no plan on upgrading, and has nothing but positive experiences with the hardware of the powertap. (the software is a different case all together, but that is an easily changed thing, I just need to bite the bullet)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
It SHOULD display power on any head unit that displays power.... that is the benefit of using an open standard like ANT+. You are correct about the L/R balance not displaying, as far as I know that is not actually in the standard yet, but has been proposed last I heard.

The ANT+ spec regarding left/right was formalized (finalized) about 18-20 months ago (roughly). The most recent updates (formalized) added in Pedal Smoothness and Torque Efficiency, roughly late last year ahead of the ROTOR release.

It's up to individual ANT+ head unit companies to implement it.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vectors Going Prime-Time [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10-4 I stand corrected, thanks for the update.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suppose there is the advantage of chain friction not being a confounding variable.

that is about the only theoretically possible
substantive advantage I can think of =)

well and you can use any wheel you want, but I don't care about that much.

pyrahna wrote:
I think it might be a little early, given that it was released to the public today, to be saying one product is inferior to the other. Time will tell on multiple fronts as to what the superior product is. And this is coming from someone who bought a powertap two months ago, has no plan on upgrading, and has nothing but positive experiences with the hardware of the powertap. (the software is a different case all together, but that is an easily changed thing, I just need to bite the bullet)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Along a different train of thought....is there an actual definition of what "Pedal Smoothness" and "Torque Efficiency" are? I am asking for units, and calculations if they exist. i.e.is Pedal Smoothness the derivative of cadence?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As alluded to in DCRainmaker's article the left right thing could be interesting after more research. It allows any wheelset, AND any crankset you want. I.e. a zipp disc and a shimano crank. I'm not saying these benefits are worth the price they are asking....but they are differences from other established power meters. It just seems silly to write them off this soon after they have been released.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
Along a different train of thought....is there an actual definition of what "Pedal Smoothness" and "Torque Efficiency" are? I am asking for units, and calculations if they exist. i.e.is Pedal Smoothness the derivative of cadence?

Torque Efficiency speaks to the ratio of positive and negative power – in other words, how much your pulling up versus pushing down. Pedal Smoothness is how even your pedaling is over the course of the stroke. This is similar to Spin Scan as found on a CompuTrainer.

That's a good point, I'll add that into the post there.

Btw, I went back and checked the date for those two metrics - the official date was actually only Feb 2013 for the announcement, so a few months later than I remembered.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand the basic concepts....I am just wondering what the actual calculations are. i.e. if I had data that included the left and right torques, and instantaneous cadences, how would I calculate Pedal Smoothness and Torque Efficiency? This is a personal issue of not talking about 'metrics' that I don't understand at a mathematical level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Torque Efficiency speaks to the ratio of positive and negative power – in other words, how much your pulling up versus pushing down. Pedal Smoothness is how even your pedaling is over the course of the stroke.

The problem being that these terms and metrics give the impression that they are a "universal good" when they aren't by a long shot. I envision lots of salesmen pretending otherwise, and novices wasting time trying to maximize these values.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
The most recent updates (formalized) added in Pedal Smoothness and Torque Efficiency, ...

Do you have a URL for those ANT+ profile updates (I have a hard time navigating the ANT+ site to find the specs...).

In your review you write: Note that at present Vector does not transmit this information (yet).

Is that "just" a matter of a firmware update for the pedals?

That data would be for me the reason to buy the Vector (I already have power meters.)

Will there be a mode comparable to the "Pedal Force Profile" of the "Power Pedals" (http://www.bikepowerpedals.com/)? On one website I found a brochure for the Garmin Vector that states: "See the whole force profile of the pedal stroke". Any information on that?
Quote Reply

Prev Next