Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To add............The tactics of that race started different due to his Giro performance........If he would dope for that win, it would be consistant that he would dope in the 90's......Unlike Lance in his comeback, he was a proven dominate stage racer.
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At firsrt I laughed.......I know he is not but, Lemond bikes were pretty innovative. The "spine" design. His first carbon was on of the first assymetrical carbon frames.......great bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [bigskinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your welcome.......Just stated the hipocrasiy of your comments, so I have a right to post too....but if you know what to take your ball and go home.OK. Do not know how to post anymore eloquently than Gerard....Owner of a pro team, top level of cycling for awhile, in contact with team leader and winners of that era. So regardless ofmy own opinions, his stands out a lot greater than mine. But discount his with out presenting any correct facts....OK........Lemond has used his postion to break the silence and speek about doping.......He cost him a lot $'s including his bike line, which although Lance went after him, it did not work, why, because Lemond told the truth. ..........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not think Lemond is a tarnished brand.....................again, where to come off with that idea.........................TO:hero (right or wrong) to many cancer survivors and a great fund rasier for the cause was called out as a doper
So he should get a pass because he has used an organization as a cover and to fund his lawyers......Wow. If he did not, then its a tragedy, think people now know better nad the Novitsky case is not over yet. If proven by Novitsky, publicly he should be punished even more for the reasons you cited
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dennis wrote:
How do we know he was drug free?

If LeMond did dope, it would be pretty easy for someone to call him out as a hypocrite and discredit Lemond's anti-doping stance. I'm sure that's something that the dopers would love to have happen - another critic discredited.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've missed the point. Shall I make it in larger type?
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was not taking my toys and going home. I'm not a great speaker and are a worse writer so did not get my thoughts put down correctly. It was not worth continuing the discussion and taking more lumps with facts I do not have.

I am not new to cycling and remember LeMond's wins, I however do not know cycling insiders or read into it much so do not have some of the facts some on here have or think they have.

I do know everyone I knew who owned a LeMond bike sold it after he started coming off sounding half cocked, right or wrong, so that is where the "tarnished" brand comment came from.

And I do not have facts but do wonder as many on here do too as to how LeMond could win while competing against dopers. It is one of the many questions I have that I hope I get answers to before I die, like who shot JFK, did OJ do it, what happened in Roswell, what is in the hanger in Ohio, what is the real story of Lance, what is the real story of Contador (sp?), what wheel set is really the best, what bike is the most aero, are shorter cranks really better, is a coach worth the money, should I buy a power meter even though I do not follow my heart rate monitor correctly, should I have turned down my first Kona slot, will my house ever sell, will Iran get a nuke, will Iseral blow Iran off the face of the earth, why did Tiger cheat, will Tiger get his mojo back, will there ever be an undefeated NFL team, why does the NBA exist, will tri ever hit the main stream, will the WTC kill Kona, will a P5 make me faster, etc.... just to name a few.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. You want to debate with Gerard, yet he is in the top of the industry......Doping of others that he beat, are you comparing what Delgado was caught with equal to EPO?.........but to this
I do know everyone I knew who owned a LeMond bike sold it after he started coming off sounding half cocked, right or wrong,
Wow, everyone you know who owned a Lemond sold thier bikes, I respected your posts till that point, How many? I knwo many people that owned Lemond's over the years and never heard that. Never. Known many people get pissed at bike companies, don't know any that went out and sold their bikes..None, ever. I must be living in some strange bubble.
If you have been following cycling for over 20yrs, Know multiple people that have owned Lemond bikes...............................but you did not know how to spell his name
Edit......let me guess. they all bought Trek's
Last edited by: Kenney: Dec 31, 11 14:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude you're an internet bully, you win I said that a few posts ago, congratulations. I was just explaining my thoughts that you asked about, not to say I was correct.
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [avagoyamug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avagoyamug wrote:
You Americans really don't have a clue what you've had in LeMond. He is probably the greatest cyclist of the last 25 years and maybe even all time. To come from where he did into Europe's doping culture, stay clean and still win the tour three times was just amazing. If the blood boosters had not come into the sport he probably would have continued to beat guys on the older drugs for several more years while remaining clean. Hail Lance all you want but he's built his success on a house of paper cards which is probably going to come crashing down. Only a few who really know the ins and outs of cycling know the real US legend in cycling is LeMond. More kudos to him for not remaining quiet and trying to do his bit to fix the culture of his sport.

not to mention the two rainbow jerseys he won and the fact that he raced and did well in the Monuments that were not particularly suited to him (4th in Paris Roubaix and 2nd in MSR).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You talked shit about someone. Made untrue statements and were called out on it.......................So I am a bully, YEAH!!! Least I am not anonymous
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you have a Fred friend who bought into the smear campaign and that proves what? You are welcome to pretend that the "Story of Lance" has not been told but you would have to have been living in a cave to not know the answer already.

It is funny to see people start with the "LeMond doped" stuff, even though, unlike Armstrong, there is zero evidence. Always the same, LeMond doped because well, he just had to have doped, no evidence but yeah he definitely doped.

People seem to ignore the people in the know like Laurent Fignon who said it was possible to win clean in the 80s even though he doped himself.

Like Willy Voet who said there were clean top riders like Charly Mottet despite naming countless people who did dope.

Like Paul Koechli, who ran a clean team in Helvetia/La Suiise without any needles and said LeMond won the Tour clean. Before people say that was because he was his manager, Koechli never said Hinault won the tour clean and he was his manager too. Bernard Tapie, owner of the team said the only guys he knew that definitely didnt dope were LeMond and Bauer, not Hinault, not Bernard.

Like Peter Winnen who says it was possible to win clean in the 80s but everything changed with EPO.

Or Alexi Grewal, who often said Lance was a doper but said one guy he knew was clean was LeMond--he said the guy could stay out till 3am and "be out the door at 30mph," that his recovery was spectacular. That he was a once-in-a-lifetime talent.

These posters are not just refuting other posters, they are refuting guys from that period who were involved in cycling, people who have said they doped themselves or that doping was present.

Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [surftel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speakning of Grewal......what happened to his comeback?.......Now you made me want to find my Red Zinger series tapes!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Speakning of Grewal......what happened to his comeback?.......Now you made me want to find my Red Zinger series tapes!!

he gave it up....could not find any sponsorship.

Velonews had an article on it a few weeks ago.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last 20 years? How about cheating since the beginning of time. I guess all we can do is keep trying. About Lemond all you guys have convinced me. Most/many of the champions before and after him used what they could to win, but Lemond was clean and that almost impossible TT was a.........miracle. I hope Greg and Lance raced clean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why a miracle....He had gear and wonderful performance,...Fignon wrong gear and hurt...Saddle sores so bad that he said he could not sit.........And as for speed, tailwind with downhill......................So why the "I HOPE Lemond was clean".......Lots of evidence surounding Lance......show me about Lemond......Still got to put a dig on the guy don't you
.......Why put that hope statement like Lemond and Lance are in the same as being clean................You need a lot of hope for that statement about Lance,,,,,,but not much for Lemond
Last edited by: Kenney: Jan 1, 12 11:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dennis wrote:
but Lemond was clean and that almost impossible TT was a.........miracle. .

It (the TT) was slightly downhill, not terribly long, and with a tailwind. Additionally none of Lemond's closest competiors used aero bars and Fignon didn't use an aero helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg's TT was hardly a miracle. 410 watts for 21 minutes. Nothing special when you compare to Armstrong or Ullrich 495 watts for close to 40 minutes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still do not know why Lemond got involved at all. By this time he was done with cycling and should have stayed out of it.

Why would you stay out of it if your goal is to clean up cycling? The veil of secrecy from retired cyclists is one of the main problems in trying to stop the abuse.

It seems like sour grapes on Lemonds part wanting to prove Landis was guilty....

Your kidding right?

Doesn't anyone else get tired of the "sour grapes" or "he's just jealous" defense?
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [FJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lemond is a very interesting guy. A few years ago a guy who he originally hired to write a biography wrote about the experience. He said Greg was one of the most direct honest guys he's ever known. Not that he is always right but just that Lemond has no internal censor. If a reporter asks him if LA used drugs, he'll answer. Consequently he is a great interview and his directness has hurt his reputation.

Everyone hates when athletes give pat answers, but when they speak their honest opinions they get skewered.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always liked him for the exact same reasons and it is frustrating to me when people simply say he has 'sour grapes' when he talks about drugs in sport. The guy is a multiple TDF champion so I really don't get why he would have sour grapes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you happen to know who posted those figures? I don't see a SRM in the picture below

Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We know the speed and the distance, so if we guess at exact elevation, and accept rumors about the wind, then estimate his weight, and read tea leaves about his CdA, we then just have to google the Crr and voila we can sorta figure what his power might have been if we aren't totally wrong. Its really quite simple.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 1989 TT was short (15 miles), wind at his back most of the course. 300 foot loss in altitude. LeMond's time was not that spectacular, he only beat Thierry Marie by 33 seconds that day, and Thierry was not even using areo bars

A far more example of a questionable TT performance would be Armstrong's TT that was over twice as long, over multiple climbs, yet averaged only .5kph slower.
Last edited by: surftel: Jan 1, 12 17:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never said I thought Lemonds TT was the best ever, just joking about the supposed knowledge of the watts he put out if he didn't use a pm.

Styrrell
Quote Reply

Prev Next