Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"I love it. Every time Lemond opens his trap, I boil with anger at how he chased his own teammate, Boyer, down at the 1982 Worlds"

- Yes, clearly we should judge Lemond's post-racing exploits in a harsh light relative to those of Jock Boyer (deep sigh...)

Nice comeback. :-)

FWIW, I met Lemond earlier this year (I actually met him/raced against him in the late 1970s, but those encounters were brief), and he didn't strike me as bitter at all. Rather, he struck me as simply someone who has always been willing to share his thoughts, and didn't really care what others thought of him as a result. So, when people bring up the topic of doping, or whether he could have won more Tours, he just says what he believes to be true, no more and no less.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: May 17, 07 10:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Also, what the hell makes you sure he was clean?"

Well, I don't suppose the fact that EPO didn't exist prior to '88 and was unattainable before '89 has nothing to do with this.

It seems pretty understandable that the guy who blazed the trail for Americans in cycling would be just a bit annoyed by the current state of the sport.

Remember, LeMond won Tours both before and after he died!!

Jimmy Archer
Pro Triathlete/Coach/Freelance Writer
http://www.jimmyarcher.com
http://www.dirttri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I love it. Every time Lemond opens his trap, I boil with anger at how he chased his own teammate, Boyer, down at the 1982 Worlds.

Too bad Lemond didnt use a truck....
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Certainly Greg was very focused on a very limited number of races in the year, but he is and probably will be for a long time, the last Tour de France winner willing to put his season on the line and be a contender at Paris-Roubaix. Anybody have that photo of him after Paris-roubaix, sitting in the dressing room covered in mud eating a piece of bread? It won a world press photo award I believe, best cycling photo ever.

I like Greg, he reminds me of John McEnroe. misunderstood, but usually right.[/reply]

that's a great post right there.

in this era of 'controlling the message' , people like Greg are a dying breed.

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [carlson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, this is ridiculous and flawed. I am guessing a lance era inspired fan thread here given that, if you were into cycling in the 80's, you are informed and you knew who the inspiration for the current US cycling presence was. who cares what he says now. he's rich and won tours. you haven't. getting caught up in gossip like 5th grade hopskotch is cute though. in 1991, lemond was a already suffering the ill effects of lead poisening from the pellets lodged in his heart which could not be removed. any clue what I am referring to? him winning 85-91' goes without saying... hey, did you hear that lemond scratched his knee running from 4 square to the monkey bars! dead serious dood. you should go tell jimmy on the swingset...

All you need is a dollar and a dream..and a severe f*&%ing beating!!
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you find this photo? I've looked an cannot. This is truly what the end recult of racing, not riding, should feel like. Awesome photo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol!

IS Greg Lemond the inverse of Tom Demerly? - Greg went from Fine Cyclist TO Fat Kid....

-----------------------------------------------
www.true-motion.com Triathlete Casual Wear since 2007
(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [t2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems Lance has put a few pounds on too. Just says to me that these folks starved themselves to be the way they were.
Lots of sports seem to do the same thing. Boy am I lucky to be a skinny guy and can eat anything I want.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this deserves a bump...TDFTLSHW...lol
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
this deserves a bump...TDFTLSHW...lol
Well played, Sir...

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really, really tired of the Lemond bashing. Gee - I wonder why Greg is bitter?

I completely agree.

First it's LeMond and now it's Contador. The lack of respect for other riders to protect their hallowed Lance is a disgrace.
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [FJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it seems that the Lance communication machine is doing its job very effectively...Just like the past 6 months, sending mixed signals about Contador, and play with his head...Looks like it didn't bother AC one bit.

Before that, it was to do as if everyone accusing him of cheating was a nuts, a liar, a bitter angry person, and each time everyone bought the propaganda...sigh...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bravo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am interested in this: If you were ever on top of your profession that He was,had his accomplishments, how would you feel of someone of your status slamming you on the internet? Would you think it fair? Would you laugh at them because they just did not understand the nuances of being inside? Can you argue his position from the same amount of experiance, or did you just sleep at a Holiday Inn last night?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to do my annual bump of this thread...
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. I'll bite.

"Broken News: Greg Lemond"

There. fixed it for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"This brings the total number of Tours de France That Lemond Should Have Won (TDFTLSHW) to 167."

Yes, but Lance has been working on beating that record of late. ;)

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Greg Lemond [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Gerard: "I like Greg, he reminds me of John McEnroe. misunderstood, but usually right."

In Reply To:
Dr. Coggan: "FWIW, I met Lemond earlier this year (I actually met him/raced against him in the late 1970s, but those encounters were brief), and he didn't strike me as bitter at all. Rather, he struck me as simply someone who has always been willing to share his thoughts, and didn't really care what others thought of him as a result."

I would not have dredged up this thread, but I agree with these quoted thoughts from years back. LeMond has always (since '86 when I started racing and following the sport) struck me as being a bit tone deaf to how others might perceive what he is saying and perhaps he comes across as whiney, but when someone asks him a question, the answer is unvarnished.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg.....is that you? Isn't it time for a snack fat boy?! I believe Greg is mostly upset that no one told him to drop his caloric intake from 7K to 1,500K once he got off the bike.
Last edited by: climbcarolina: Jul 27, 10 15:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lemond have said some very strange stuff over the years but that doesn´t mean that´s he´s wrong or/and lying.

It´s quite funny to see how people bash GL for being outspoken and then bashing Landis for keeping his mouth shut. Maybe Landis pick up how whistleblowers in cycling are treated, both by people in the sport but also by people in general...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope you didn't waste too much of your time writing that. I didn't waste much of mine ready beyond the first paragraph.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So choice.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that clear and concise explanation of the facts.
Until now, I have been under the misunderstanding that Greg Lemond was just a self centred arrogant jerk, but now I realize he IS justified in his claims and this gives him the credibility He so rightly deserves!

With 167 wins to Lances paltry 7 wins, maybe NOW he will get the adoration and adulation he so rightly deserves.

If Greg didn't get distracted by having to spend all his time explaining his greatness to us all, then I'm sure he would have cured cancer by now (rather than letting that second string Armstrong guy get all the glory) and would be hard as work getting World Peace sorted for all time!

Greg Lemond for President, hell, Greg Lemond for GOD

NOT!!

(LOL of course)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:

There is no one on this site who woke up one morning and realized that they could well have within themselves the talent and ability to be the single greatest professional cyclist in history.

No one here was forced to follow that thought up with the realization that despite winning (on multiple occasions,) both the TDF and the World Championships, they would never be able to fulfill their potential due entirely to circumstances beyond their control.

Would not being gifted the genes and physical potential to "[wake] up one morning and realize that they could well have within themselves the talent and ability to be the single greatest professional cyclist in history" count as "never be[ing] able to fulfill their potential due entirely to circumstances beyond their control"? If so do I have the right to bitch about not winning more Tours?
Quote Reply

Prev Next