Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Austin location for CdA testing
Quote | Reply
So what's the best place in Austin that people have found/used for field testing CdA? I can't think of any huge buildings around that will let me ride from one end to the other a half dozen times at 30 mph. That Wal-Mart distribution center down near New Braunfels would be perfect, but I don't think they'd let me. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Austin location for CdA testing [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the wind tunnel at A&M isn't far =)

can't think of any locations in austin that are even level

let alone windless

In Reply To:
So what's the best place in Austin that people have found/used for field testing CdA? I can't think of any huge buildings around that will let me ride from one end to the other a half dozen times at 30 mph. That Wal-Mart distribution center down near New Braunfels would be perfect, but I don't think they'd let me. ;)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Austin location for CdA testing [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
can't think of any locations in austin that are even level

let alone windless
Don't need level now. Won't need windless soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Austin location for CdA testing [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, had your method in mind when asking. But I do need a good loop that doesn't require any braking and doesn't involve stop lights or signs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yeah, had your method in mind when asking. But I do need a good loop that doesn't require any braking and doesn't involve stop lights or signs.
http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/.../recommendations.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like the Veloway would be a perfect place to use Robert's VE method, at least if you could find a time when the wind is calm and no one else is using it.

Also, Zilker Park south of the river might work...although I can't recall if you can make a complete loop, or have to exit the park and re-enter it.

West of Zilker on the north side of the river is pretty flat in places, so might be good for regression testing...again, if you can find a time when wind and/or traffic didn't interfere.
Quote Reply
Re: Austin location for CdA testing [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought of the Veloway, but discounted it due to having to brake around several of the corners. Then again, I don't need a 3-mile loop do I?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mopac loop can probably provide what you need

1st street just south of slaughter maybe too

In Reply To:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thought of the Veloway, but discounted it due to having to brake around several of the corners. Then again, I don't need a 3-mile loop do I?
'

you can do the short loop and skip the two hairpins on the veloway, it is relatively well shielded from the wind too

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great Northern just south of Farwest/Mopac could be a good run. It is roughly 1.4 miles and going South to North is a elevation gain. I don't think that run will make a good "loop". You will have to go out there early in the morning to make sure there is no traffic or cyclists.

The back run:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3935887

Start:
http://maps.google.com/...=0,0.020878&z=16

Middle:
http://maps.google.com/...cbp=12,25.58,,0,9.62

End:
http://maps.google.com/...;cbp=12,17.4,,0,5.46

I am actually very curious to find out if this would work well for testing. Also if you see a dude on a Black/Grey P3 say Hi. Thats me.
Quote Reply
Re: Austin location for CdA testing [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great Northern actually sounds like a great idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Austin location for CdA testing [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Great Northern just south of Farwest/Mopac could be a good run. It is roughly 1.4 miles and going South to North is a elevation gain. I don't think that run will make a good "loop". You will have to go out there early in the morning to make sure there is no traffic or cyclists.

The back run:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3935887

Start:
http://maps.google.com/...=0,0.020878&z=16

Middle:
http://maps.google.com/...cbp=12,25.58,,0,9.62

End:
http://maps.google.com/...;cbp=12,17.4,,0,5.46

I am actually very curious to find out if this would work well for testing. Also if you see a dude on a Black/Grey P3 say Hi. Thats me.

1.4 mi is quite a bit more than you really need, so you could use just the part with the most consistent grade if you want to employ the regression approach.

Again, though, "wind is thine enemy", so don't expect great results (from any method*) unless you test when the winds are quite light (<0.5 m/s) and there is absolutely no traffic.

*With the exception of when you actually measure the wind speed, as we did in our wind tunnel validation study.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run Far Does a free TT every other Tuesday evening as long as you have your own chip. It's an out and back. Might be best "worst case".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've did some Google searching for specifics. Is this the method that you're referring to with "regression testing"? http://www.sportsci.org/2006/index.html

If so, a few more questions:
- Would multiple runs with a Garmin 705 be sufficient for getting accurate elevation profiles? Or would even multiple runs not be good enough? Is getting the elevation specs from the city the only reliable option?
- Is a handheld weather station a necessity or would local weather measurements be sufficient for temp, pressure, and humidity? The MesoWest site linked in the above testing method shows 3 different reporting stations with a few miles of Great Northern Blvd. It has data for temp, pressure, humidity, and wind. Updates seem to be every 10 minutes.
- I would think that the wind measurements from the above would not be reliable enough and that a local measurement of speed and direction would be needed. I could see spending the $20-30 for one of those devices, but most of them don't seem to have pressure and humidity readings built in.

I'm a smart guy but don't have the statistical or engineering background to even come close to following the discussions you and Robert have regarding the merits of the different test protocols. When it comes to this stuff, I'm more of a "do this, measure this, plug them into this equation, here's your answer" kind of guy, just like the above method provides.
Quote Reply
Re: Austin location for CdA testing [DrewpDrawers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Run Far Does a free TT every other Tuesday evening as long as you have your own chip. It's an out and back. Might be best "worst case".

Yeah, but it's 8 miles over varying terrain that doesn't end in the same spot it begins (the finish elevation is several feet lower than the start). Since the roadways are separated significantly, you're also going to get very different wind effects on the out and back, even if you do measure the wind speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've did some Google searching for specifics. Is this the method that you're referring to with "regression testing"? http://www.sportsci.org/2006/index.html

That's an example of the what he's talking about, and it has a spreadsheet with the air density calcs built-in.
In Reply To:

If so, a few more questions:
- Would multiple runs with a Garmin 705 be sufficient for getting accurate elevation profiles? Or would even multiple runs not be good enough? Is getting the elevation specs from the city the only reliable option?

The regression method doesn't actually need an elevation profile. It needs to have either zero slope or, if it's not zero, known constant slope. Of course, whether you have true zero slope or known constant slope, or measure with a Garmin 705 depends on how much error you're willing to accept. The best precision Andy has ever been able to get with the regression approach is 1.5% so that's a target to shoot for.
In Reply To:

- Is a handheld weather station a necessity or would local weather measurements be sufficient for temp, pressure, and humidity? The MesoWest site linked in the above testing method shows 3 different reporting stations with a few miles of Great Northern Blvd. It has data for temp, pressure, humidity, and wind. Updates seem to be every 10 minutes.

Local weather measurements to get air density are probably fine.
In Reply To:

When it comes to this stuff, I'm more of a "do this, measure this, plug them into this equation, here's your answer" kind of guy, just like the above method provides.

Then just plug your data file into Aerolab. Nothing simpler.
Last edited by: RChung: Aug 5, 10 10:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The best precision Andy has ever been able to get with the regression approach is 1.5% so that's a target to shoot for.

Actually, it has been as low as 1.3% on multiple occasions...but more to the point:

1) you yourself have emphasized that this is likely an overestimate of the true imprecision, and

2) no one has ever done any better across multiple trials regardless of the approach they have used.

In Reply To:
In Reply To:

In fact, local weather measurements are not always "fine" - it depends on the sites in question, and in particular the extent to which local heating impacts air density (wind data from weather station reports is only useful if all you care about is making some crude approximations).
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Aug 5, 10 10:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
- Is a handheld weather station a necessity or would local weather measurements be sufficient for temp, pressure, and humidity?

Pressure and relative humidity, generally yes, but temperature, it depends.

In Reply To:
- I would think that the wind measurements from the above would not be reliable enough and that a local measurement of speed and direction would be needed.

Your thinking is correct.

In Reply To:
I could see spending the $20-30 for one of those devices, but most of them don't seem to have pressure and humidity readings built in.

You can now get a hand-held weather station that measures everything for around $100, but I wouldn't spend the money on one just for wind speed measurements, as few, if any, can accurately measure very low wind speeds. For that you need one that relies on a hot wire anemometer or perhaps a pressure differential flow meter rather than a mechanical device that has inertia.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Aug 5, 10 11:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In fact, local weather measurements are not always "fine" - it depends on the sites in question, and in particular the extent to which local heating impacts air density

Case-in-point:

The Brunton measurements are obviously made on-site, whereas the airport in question is ~2 km away as the crow flies. When I first started using my "natural wind tunnel", I did not own the Brunton, and so could only cross-check the airport data againt the thermometer of my car and also my SRM. I did not observe any significant differences, but on most occasions it either wasn't very warm, or it was quite warm overnight. Now that I have the Brunton and can record data at high frequency throughout each testing session, it has become obvious that on "in between" days, the airport temperature starts increasing sooner/more rapidly than the local temperature. This is because the airport is in an almost-treeless flood plain surrounded by lots of commercial development, whereas the road I use for testing runs through dense woods. (And it was because I knew that this could result in important temperature gradients that I collected data using my car's thermometer and the SRM in the first place.)
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Aug 5, 10 11:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies, Robert.

I phrased the second question poorly. I know regression testing requires slope, not elevation profile. However, an elevation profile will obviously allow you to determine the slope of a particular section. What I'm trying to figure out is if multiple runs with my Garmin would produce an accurate enough picture of that slope.

Looking at Andy's site, it looks like Aerolab is not a standalone app, but rather only a patch on GC. Is that right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AC, thanks to you for the replies as well.

The reporting site appears to be an individual's house who reports as part of the network. The foliage coverage, pavement coverage, elevation, etc are pretty consistent between that area and Great Northern.

Given what you've said about the portable anemometers, do you have any recommendation for ensuring as accurate a test as possible without significant expense? Some of the sub-$100 models from have specs that state minimum wind speeds of 0.3 m/s and accuracy of +/- 3%. I would think there are two options: test when the wind is as non-existent as possible or get one of the portable stations and be sure the wind is blowing at least above the device's stated minimum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The reporting site appears to be an individual's house who reports as part of the network. The foliage coverage, pavement coverage, elevation, etc are pretty consistent between that area and Great Northern.

That sounds okay, but an NWS weather station might be better as presumably it will be accurate and won't go away any time soon.

In Reply To:
Given what you've said about the portable anemometers, do you have any recommendation for ensuring as accurate a test as possible without significant expense? Some of the sub-$100 models from have specs that state minimum wind speeds of 0.3 m/s and accuracy of +/- 3%. I would think there are two options: test when the wind is as non-existent as possible or get one of the portable stations and be sure the wind is blowing at least above the device's stated minimum.

Unless you can accurately measure both wind speed and direction on site, your only real option if you want highly reproducible data is to test when winds are as light as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Unless you can accurately measure both wind speed and direction on site, your only real option if you want highly reproducible data is to test when winds are as light as possible.

Seems like wind direction would be the easiest part of all. There are lots of ways to create a simple weather vane (if not just buy one) add a compass and you're in business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Seems like wind direction would be the easiest part of all. There are lots of ways to create a simple weather vane (if not just buy one) add a compass and you're in business.

Right - then you just need someone to stand there by the side of the road while you're testing and write down the reading every second or so. ;-)

(Actually, just once per run is sufficient if the wind direction isn't flucuating very much...if it is, though, then multiple readings would probably be necessary).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
The best precision Andy has ever been able to get with the regression approach is 1.5% so that's a target to shoot for.

Actually, it has been as low as 1.3% on multiple occasions...but more to the point:

1) you yourself have emphasized that this is likely an overestimate of the true imprecision,
Hmmm. Well, first, thanks for that correction of 1.5% to 1.3%. Second, I'm pretty surprised that I've ever used the term "true imprecision" -- I don't recall using it, it's not something I can easily imagine myself saying, and I'm not sure there is such a thing so if I did I must've misspoken. I have talked about OLS being an inefficient estimator when the error term has nonconstant variance but that isn't really relevant to this particular discussion.

In Reply To:
2) no one has ever done any better across multiple trials regardless of the approach they have used.
Tom A. has collected data across trials that are quite a bit better than 1.5% -- or 1.3% for that matter.

In Reply To:
In Reply To:

In fact, local weather measurements are not always "fine" [..] it depends on the sites in question
Sigh. That's why I said "probably." The handy thing about Aerolab is that you can quickly see exactly how much a change in air density is going to affect the estimated CdA.
Quote Reply

Prev Next