Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

zwift newbie
Quote | Reply
Despite riding a trainer for 20 years and often 100% as my cycling training, I only recently joined Zwift.

First off, once in the app and actually riding I think its great especially during the current social distancing/virus challenges being able to connect with friends and groups - love that.

I'll qualify these comments by saying I've not read many of the Zwift posts and perhaps someone can point me to the best one in terms of common challenges for the newbies.

The app, website and companion piece are confusing to newbies and even after using them for a couple weeks it just seems clumsy and not user friendly. Is Zwift working on one app that has everything at your fingers tips ? It reminds me of using say Atari (80s) vs Xbox in terms of things that I'm sure will get simpler, smoother, and navigating the system faster (yes that analogy dates me on here).

Zwift appears incredibly popular and I love the events you can choose from and the level of participants but I'm wondering when a microsoft, google, Facebook etc looks at this and says - we can do this loads better? Or perhaps just buys them.

Is there a Zwift 2.0 or similar coming that will make it feel more seamless?
Quote Reply
Re: zwift newbie [Canuck1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a learning curve for sure. I spotted this a while back and created a TON of YouTube content around the setup, tips, nuances, etc.

There's a long awaited UI update coming soon... we're told.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: zwift newbie [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I’ll check it out. I’ve got myself up the curve quite a bit but now getting others to sign on who are frustrated at first hence my desire to find a spot that has the easy abc issues laid out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will agree, I have been using Rouvy the last few years because I like to do very structured interval type training, and don't mind doing that solo.
But I have been craving some human "interaction" being stuck inside for 2 weeks already, so I gave Zwift a try today and I had the same sentiments, I did enjoy the social element but but there was to many of "ok how do I do this now?" moments.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what exactly are you having trouble with? if you have specific questions on the app I'm sure someone here can answer them pretty quick

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: zwift newbie [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been on zwift 2 months

need to ride frequently to figure out how to ride.... google zwift hacks I am now doing lots of tours and different routes and finally figuring out the sprints I am a boomer.... generation z is better at this then me! This is lot of fun Hopefully I will go out side soon. My son thinks I am a " ride on" whore!
Quote Reply
Re: zwift newbie [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
There's a learning curve for sure. I spotted this a while back and created a TON of YouTube content around the setup, tips, nuances, etc.

There's a long awaited UI update coming soon... we're told.

Shane's (GP Lama) videos are well done and straightforward; a great resource.

The UI is a bit of a mess; you just have to get used to it (ex. you have to fully exit Zwift when you save a ride, want to switch courses, etc.). Google-ing on specific problems will pull up a lot of discussions from ZwiftInsider that are helpful.

While the companion app is handy, just learn the PC/Mac controls to get familiar with the overall functionality first. The app is then a more convenient way to do some of the actions, but by then you are familiar with them.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: zwift newbie [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After many trial and error I do think I've got a reasonable handle on navigating it and I think am more interested in when the big upgrade comes that addresses some of the issues most seen to experience (at least for the first while) which I think having everything on one app and not having to go out and back in, save rides, use companion or the website for different things would help greatly.

One question on the app when using it for group meet ups or riding with your contacts/followers - is there a way to quickly see where followers or people in the meet up are on the road ? or during a race?

We were doing a group ride yesterday and some people had issues starting and before we knew it everyone was split apart even with the "keep together" option on. Can people not join back in and be with the group and not simply back at the start of the ride? Or at very least you can check to see where people are on the road? Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also can't believe that no lap button exists so you can train the way you do on the open road, letting the coarse and people around you impact your workout. To get lap functionality you must do pre-programed workouts. Better then nothing, but not always what "I" would always like to do. Maybe I'm the only dinosaur left that still does fartlek workouts by feel without a prescribed training plan?

Ed Alyanak

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since we are asking newbie questions....I'm in my second year on Zwift and still don't know how to give a thumbs-up. I'm running Zwift on my iPhone and mirroring to a TV with a hdmi cable. During a ride, when I touch the app and get the pop-up screen I do see the thumbs up icon, but when I hit it - nada. Can I or how do you give a TU to a specific person? Entire Group.
Second question is in-ride communication - assume this can't really be done thru my set-up? Is this done by running Zwift thru a separate unit such as appletv or an ipad or something and then using Discord or the companion app at the same time on say your iphone?
Quote Reply
Re: zwift newbie [ealyanak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ealyanak wrote:
I also can't believe that no lap button exists so you can train the way you do on the open road, letting the coarse and people around you impact your workout. To get lap functionality you must do pre-programed workouts. Better then nothing, but not always what "I" would always like to do. Maybe I'm the only dinosaur left that still does fartlek workouts by feel without a prescribed training plan?

The lap feature is one of the top asks. No idea why they haven't done this yet. One hack for this is to run your Garmin watch/head unit/phone app at the same time and record laps there. It also works well when you do multiple Zwift courses in a single session, but want one overall file (total time, kcal, TSS, etc.). Just make sure to not save/upload the Zwift files, or delete them off Strava to avoid double counting.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: zwift newbie [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
Since we are asking newbie questions....I'm in my second year on Zwift and still don't know how to give a thumbs-up. I'm running Zwift on my iPhone and mirroring to a TV with a hdmi cable. During a ride, when I touch the app and get the pop-up screen I do see the thumbs up icon, but when I hit it - nada. Can I or how do you give a TU to a specific person? Entire Group.
Second question is in-ride communication - assume this can't really be done thru my set-up? Is this done by running Zwift thru a separate unit such as appletv or an ipad or something and then using Discord or the companion app at the same time on say your iphone?

The Thumbs Up button on the action menu gives an audible "Ride On", but not one for/to a specific rider. To give an actual Ride On, tap a rider from the Zwifters Nearby list on the right, and a Clickable orange thumbs up will appear that you can tap.

Last edited by: Titanflexr: Mar 30, 20 15:35
Quote Reply