Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

zipp 400 tubulars-please help
Quote | Reply
I recently purchased a set a set of zipp 400 wheels from ebay. They were listed as clincher, but when they arrived, it is clear that they are tubular. The wheels appear to be in good shape and came with tires glued on, as well as a dura-ace cassette. I only paid $200.00, so it appears like it is a good deal. Are the wheels good. How difficult is it to learn how to use tubulars? Do I need carbon breaks pads, and if so, will they work with my training wheels. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 400 tubulars-please help [davidevelev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In case you don't want them, a friend of mine was just looking for a pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mean Zipp 404? You got a front and rear tubular for $200?! That sounds like a great deal to me.

As for tubulars as training wheels, it depends on your road surface. I typically get 1 flat/year so riding tubular wouldn't be very expensive for me. I have heard of people using 404's as their training wheels so they are probably strong enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, if you're really upset and confuse about tubulars, I will offer to sacrifice my sanity and take them off your hands.

seriously, I can't answer the question about brake pads, but I started using tubbies this year, it's no big deal. search the forum for tips on how to glue and mount them, you have two choises - glue or Tufo tape. I like the tape. And after shredding a clincher riding my road bike at over 20 mph two weeks ago, I'm now leaning heavily to the tubular camp.

Check the glue on your tires, you're lucky, I had to learn to stretch and mount tires when I started.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need carbon brake pads. They'll last longer than normal brake pads will, but if you're just using them for races, you shouldn't be braking too much anyway.

I'd only get them if you're planning on using your Zipps for training too.
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 400 tubulars-please help [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No--they are zipp 400's--not 404's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Drinyth said you don't need carbon pads for racing but they do help if it's wet out.

Don't be intimidated by learning to use tubulars.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...nance/tiremount.html

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. If you got a front and back wheel for that price you got an amazing deal.

2. If you are just using them for triathlon racing, my feeling is that there is no need for special break pads( tip: if you are using your breaks that much in a triathlon, you are in trouble!). If using them for training( not the best idea - see #5 below), group rides or road racing, then you will need/want the special carbon wheel break pads.

3. Take the wheels to the BEST wheel builder in your area and have the wheels thoroughly checked over and make sure that the spokes are tensioned properly.

4. Learning to use tubulars is actually very straight forward and easy. In many respects easier than Clinchers. Lot's of info on the web about this.

5. Consider buying a pair of training wheels and keeping the Zipps just for racing or very special training rides( race prep rides).

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: zipp 400 tubulars-please help [Redemann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I decided against against keeping these--let me know if your interested
Quote Reply