Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

you pick the order?: Triathlon
Quote | Reply
i might do this race, sprint tri- 800m, 13m bike, 4m run.

you get to pick which order you go in! my swim is the weakest, but my bike and run are equally strong.....what order would you guys do it in.?????

i'm thinking bike, swim, run. that way i can get a good warmup on the bike and go really hard. rest my legs during the swim (or cramp up!) and then run.

???????????????? luke
Quote Reply
Re: you pick the order?: Triathlon [luke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sound interesting. You might lose the advantage of swimming in a wetsuit (if allowed) by not swimming first - if swimming is not your strong suit. Too much time to put the wetwuit on after a bike/run. Might be cool to run before the bike though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run, swim, bike.

You'd get to run on fresh legs for a change, then give them a rest before hammering the bike.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming after any other activity is sketchy. After watching people try to swim, and get out of the water even, after riding in the Triple-T earlier this year, I am not too anxious to try it. Many reports of severe cramping. Many people we literally stumbling out of the water.

Swim - bike - run is actually a pretty good order. I find it harder to bike after running than the reverse.
Quote Reply
Re: you pick the order?: Triathlon [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim, Bike, Run would be my advice.

If you aren't that strong at swimming, it sould be the first so you know how much do you have to close down on the "leader".

IF you bike and run strong you shouldn't loose that precious power on a warm up! If you start with the bike you can't push it so hard in the begining as you could if you would warm up first in the swim course!

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ssume you are talking about "My Way or the Tri Way." I was going to do that tri - run, swim, bike. I talked with the race director and was informed the water will be in the low 60s. Too cold for me to do it without a wetsuit. Therefore the only option is to either do it in normal order or switch the bike/run. I can't imagine how much extra tme it would take to put on a wetsuit after a bike or run when the body is all sweaty. I'm going camping instead.

Have fun at the race if you do it.

Don
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are not that good at swimming, you definitely want to do it first. If you are even a little tired from cycling or running, then your form is likely to be worse than usual, which will cause you to lose a lot of time. It will also be far more tiring to swim if your form is falling apart than usual. As far as whether to bike or run last, pick whatever you are best at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Run on fresh legs

2. Swim to set-up just how hard you'll need to go on the bike

3. Bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If draft would be legal.. you should bike, swim and then run.. so that the poor bikers wouldn't be drafting in a group on front of you :)

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Re: you pick the order?: Triathlon [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Run, swim, bike. "

I think running gets your heart rate up the highest which once your swimming will be hard to bring down...

If I were to do this and not go with the traditional order I'd go bike/swim/run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finish with the bike just so you can do this ...

I think I just hijacked myself.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: you pick the order?: Triathlon [jw2112] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
think running gets your heart rate up the highest which once your swimming will be hard to bring down...

Interesting. I don't know if it would be hard to bring HR down during the swim or not. Would it matter, as this is a sprint distance?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: you pick the order?: Triathlon [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well if you think about most people who are just starting in triathlon and you read about how their open water swims are going ... they complain they can't breath and it's basically because it's extremely hard to recover in the water (in my experience). They are starting their swims too hard or getting their HR to high at the start. Just a guess though I'm no coach =)
Quote Reply
Re: you pick the order?: Triathlon [jw2112] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Way Or Tri Way -- I am doing Swim, Run, Bike -- I only have one swimming speed and it completely relaxes me so I am going with the swim first to get me in my element. The bike course is quite hilly so I am doing it last so I can power up the hills without having to worry about saving my legs for the run. The water tempreature was 68F this past weekend so you for sure don't need a wetsuit!

I understand Swim, Bike, Run is the most popular followed by Swim, Run, Bike. My training partner is doing Run, Swim, Bike. It is going to be FUN!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since it sounds like it will be a wetsuit swim, I would say: Swim, Run, Bike.

The bike is the only event that allows you some element of recovery during the activity (downhills or just coasting). Since it's a sprint it's about as close to an all out effort as you can get in triathlon.

That would be my approach, FWIW...
Quote Reply
Re: you pick the order?: Triathlon [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam in the Resevoir they are using for the My Way race a couple of weeks ago and the water temp was 69F then and at the Danskin race last weekend the water was 72F. My preferred order would be swim - just to get it out of the way - run and then bike.

GGW

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go Swim, Run, Bike.

Least favorite to favorite.

I'm an absolutely shitty swimmer so I need to get that out of the way.
Then run, its much easier to hold back during a run then it is on the bike.
Finally the bike, because it is so much fun to just let it rip on the bike. Wouldn't have to worry about blowing up the legs for a run.
Quote Reply