Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

yet another tubular question
Quote | Reply
I've got a pair of 404s with vittoria tubulars mounted. I used conti glue to mount 'em. They are going to be sitting in my closet until the spring, will the glue dry out or anything? Is it worth taking the tire off and cleaning off the glue at some point and remounting it again before next season? The tires have less than 300 miles on em, so I'm hoping not to replace them next year.

Thanks.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Re: yet another tubular question [jonblyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonathon- In my experience, the glue will dry out somewhat over the winter. A good rule of thumb is to re-glue at least once a year. The old dry glue will still adhere fine, but it will be harder to change in the event of a flat. Possibly more importantly in the case of a flat, you want the glue to be somewhat tacky so that the spare sticks to the rim.

You don't need to clean the old glue off the rim every time you install a new tire. You should be able to get 3-4 reglues or new tire mounts before having to strip the old glue off. Stick with the same glue every time though.

chris
Quote Reply
Re: yet another tubular question [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet,

Follow up questions if I may. First, you are supposed to apply a layer of glue to your spare, right? Second, if you are to pre-glue the spare, should you scrape off the glue at some point if it hasn't been used and re-glue it? Thanks in advance.

Roadracer
Quote Reply
Re: yet another tubular question [roadracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yes, you need to put glue on your spare. Don't worry about scraping. The glue really doesn't build up that fast and you would have a hell of a time trying to scrape it off. If I get lazy and haven't re-glued the whole wheelset in quite awhile then I just make sure the glue on the spare is fresh.
Last edited by: Sweet: Oct 28, 05 8:32
Quote Reply