Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

wide feet and cycling shoes/cranks
Quote | Reply
hi all -
i'm trying to solve a problem on my bike. i've got fairly wide feet and an almost bunion-ish width on the medial side of my left foot. currently i'm riding old (old) speedplay zeroes and old (old) louis garneau tri shoes. i'm happy with the pedal and shoe setup.

but: the bunion (let's just call it that) on my left foot rubs the crank arm when i ride. i'm pretty sure it's a width issue - i have a pretty smooth stroke and my feet track pretty straight. my shoes are pretty soft - do i just need stiffer shoes, and/or longer spindles?

it's not even really causing blisters, just pain. and i'm hoping to ride and race longer as the summer comes, making bone-on-metal contact (and running off the bike) unsustainable. . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: wide feet and cycling shoes/cranks [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get longer spindled speedplays.
You can move your cleat medially and that will move your foot laterally over the pedal.

I have wide feet and solved my rubbing the crank arm issue my moving my cleat. I know others have solved it with longer spindles

hope that helps

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a guy who uses size 48 wide shoes
often with neoprene shoe covers, I've never had a rubbing issue with Time pedals. It's a big move to change pedal brands, but I'd surprised if you're not thrilled with them.
Quote Reply
Re: wide feet and cycling shoes/cranks [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't putting longer spindles on the wrong way to fix this?
Isn't that like saying, my reach is too long, so I'll push my saddle forward...

I'm not sure what the solution is - I have the same issue on one foot due to bunion, but using a longer spindle will alter your Q-factor and might not agree with you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How close is the clearance with your foot? Maybe (the cheap and quick way) is to put 1 or 2 pedal spacer washers to so your foot has an additional 1-2mm or so of clearance. Any more than that though you'd want to get a wider/longer pedal axle instead as you probably wouldn't have enough bolt engagement to be considered safe.

Another alternative is if the Q-factor you currently have works for you and don't want to change it is to get a different set of cranks with a narrower one (that fit your bike chainline wise). Then get wide/longer versions of the speedplay axle to get it back to the same Q-factor you currently have. But that is the most expensive route since you'll need to purchase a new crank and really find the correct combo.
Quote Reply
Re: wide feet and cycling shoes/cranks [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy to assist :)

In cycling, q factor is the distance between the crank arm outside faces. Stance width describes what is being discussed. (Distance between the center of pedals). Step width can be closely approximated by measuring asis distance or using a hanging leg test. The ramifications of changing step width is individualistic - although most people can easily adjust to a slightly wider stance width. Most road bikes have a q around 146mm and mtb 168-200+mm. Pedal spindles typcially are around 52mm. Thus, giving a road step width of 250mm and mtb step width of 270+mm. Most people can switch between their road and mtb without any issues. Adding a couple pedal washers to clear a bunion works for many clients. Remember to maintain safe thread engagement at the pedal/crank interface - if you need more than 3 or 4 mm of spacers you should switch to a pedal system with a longer spindle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks everyone. i'm going to experiment with washers first.
i swap a lot between road, 'cross and single speed and have raced many bikes in my life. i'm optimistic a little change of Q won't bug me too much!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply