Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

why do we get injured right when we're at our fastest...
Quote | Reply
So I've been pretty injury free all year and the training is beginning to show dividends right on time as it's three big races in 4 weeks coming up (Xterra Nats, age group worlds, Xterra worlds). New mile PRs by a LOT on the track last week. Normally we run 5:25-5:30 but we cranked out 5:12s... New hill climb record mtn biking 2 weeks ago, strong on the TT bike intervals. Just did a record swim set, said screw it and jumped in the fast lane. Held it under 1:20 by a good bit for 18x100, ranging from 1:30-1:50 send off (intensity went up as the set progressed). I have NEVER gone that fast before.

So now that I'm in prime shape all the sudden I roll my ankle at a trail race 2 weeks ago and it's bothering me quite a bit. Then following that mtn bike hill climb record I destory my drivetrain half way through the ride and have to push and Flinstone my bike 3 hrs and 1500 feet or back to the car screwing up my quad in the progress. That is really bothering me. Damn, hope my body holds out. Guess this is a rant of sorts but it sure is funny, it's like my body saying "This is it, the year's almost over and we're barely hanging on. You'd better make it count while you can!"

four more weeks...
Quote Reply
Re: why do we get injured right when we're at our fastest... [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From your post, it looks like you compete at the top AG or elite level. With the high level of fitness you have you body has become worn down. I think there is a difference between 'health' and 'fitness' as there is a certain amount of exercise that will keep your body healthy and resilient. But I also believe that even though your fitness improves with hard multisport training, your body becomes much more fragile in the process.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: why do we get injured right when we're at our fastest... [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The good news is that both your injuries were not caused by the training. They seem to have been accidental( the rolled ankle) or fate handed you set-back( the broken drive-train on the MTB). So you can take solace in the fact that the training was going well and all your workout benchmarks were very positive.

The bad news is the soft tissue injuries of the kind that you have now( possibly ligament strain in the anke and possible strain of the quad muscle) take about three weeks to heel. Aggressive physio and home care can help a bit but, that's more or less a fixed time period.

Finally I will end with good news: Take three weeks easy. Find some training that you can do that won't further irritate the ankle or your leg( possibly swimming, making sure NOT to push off the wall hard). You will actually loose very little fitness during these three weeks and then you will be right back into it.

Best wishes,

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
water running. perfect for your situation.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tai,

Good luck healing up - I think we're going head to head in 3 weeks at age group worlds. You've been doing the training I've been dreaming of while sitting here at my desk.

Aaron
Quote Reply
Re: why do we get injured right when we're at our fastest... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Fleck, taking it easy on the run, doesn't hurt to bike so I'm hitting that hard as well as the pool until next week Tues and then it's taper time anyways:) Lots of icing and mild massage to get the blood flow up.
Quote Reply
Re: why do we get injured right when we're at our fastest... [DabossAJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I guess I've been getting some good training time in although working on my thesis and homework till 3am last night and then bike/run intervals at 7am this morning hurt:( See you soon at Worlds. If you need anything or need to know where to get anything here in Hawaii let me know. I literally live a mile from the race course. So if you need a massage guy, chiro, CO2, bike parts, directions whatever let me know.

Aloha,
Tai
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beer makes everything better.

Go to Magoo's and order a large Pinapple and pepperoni pizza and follow it with several liters of your favorite brew.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a runner friend who describes this situation quite well - "The more you sharpen the knife, the more likely you are to get cut."

Hope you heal up quickly. See you at World's.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sympathize with you, I hurt my hamstring this week with 3 weeks to kona... it's called : ice/stim/ART/rest/vitamins.. REPEAT
Quote Reply
Re: why do we get injured right when we're at our fastest... [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, why didn't you tell me this secret 2 weeks ago! Off to Magoos I go!
Quote Reply
Re: why do we get injured right when we're at our fastest... [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck on your hamstring and then in Kona:) what type of stim are you doing? How about ultrasound treatment, always seemed to work better for me healing up muscle injuries. Stim for rehab later if needed. But I'm no expert... Have fun in Kona, sad that I'm missing the whole ST gathering but it's to much $$$ even though I only live an island away, got two xterra races I need to travel too:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the same problems...

Before a solo 24 hr MTB race in 2003 I was in prime shape but bailed big time on a training ride two weeks before the race, mild concussion, stitches above the eye, separated shoulder... Only lasted 9 hrs race day.

Before inagural AZ marathon.. 2.5 weeks rolled ankled on training run becuase some a$$ didn't want to give me space on the shoulder of the road. was in an air cast for a week... finished Marathon but was in nasty pain through second half of the run. Time sucked.

Before IM WI 2005.. Had a horrible crash on a MTB ride. Horrible road rash on elbow and hip. Nasty ugly scar...

There's more but you get the picture.. I think some of us are just cursed : (
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...what type of stim are you doing? How about ultrasound treatment, always seemed to work better for me healing up muscle injuries. Stim for rehab later if needed. But I'm no expert...
She is an expert... runs a PT practice. :-) Good luck!

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Last edited by: aus_tri: Sep 24, 05 11:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually we get injured at our fastest because we have to do intervals and other hard training to get fast. So by definintion this is the phase when we are most likely to get injured. This is why during race season, I stop doing all run intervals. I get enough hard running racing around twice a month in race season. Fortunately for you, the injuries were not caused by training hard as Fleck mentions, but by accidents.

By the way, unless you plan on running sub 34 min off the bike in a triathlon, 5:12 mile repeats are not neccessary. Too high risk of injury. Instead, if you want to ratchet up the intensity that high, save it for bike training and do your fastest runs in racing. A wise track coach once told me not to leave my legs on the practice track, but to save it for the stadium.
Quote Reply
Re: why do we get injured right when we're at our fastest... [crmartin9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like that line!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the encouragements. i am doind interferential, it's easy for me, I have it in my office... wish me luck, I will try running tomorrow. Hope you feel better as well.
Quote Reply
Re: why do we get injured right when we're at our fastest... [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mmm, how about sub 35 min 10k:) they were a bit fast, got excited after the first one and just let it role. Felt good the whole set but paid for it the next few days. Hey when you're legs are feeling it sometimes you just gotta role with it! I have another friend though who races best off pure base type training, no intervals at all. Works for him, doesn't seem to work for me though. will be trying to save it from now as with three big races in a row I'm going to need all the leg power I can get:)
Quote Reply