Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

why I am currently #1 in big kahuna (i have no car)
Quote | Reply
In addition to my job as bike messenger to get the miles in, daily tasks need to be done by bike too!

Had to build a staircase for my tiny home addition. nearby home depot sold out of stair fairings, so I had to do 24 miles round trip to next one over to get them, including cement. The bob trailer was so unstable biking with the goods, normally I used a 2 wheeled one. Maybe I would be higher in the points if I didnt take the time to build the stairs and other necessities for the home.

Last edited by: synthetic: Apr 18, 21 18:32
Quote Reply
Re: why I am currently #1 in big kahuna (i have no car) [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: why I am currently #1 in big kahuna (i have no car) [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is awesome good on you man. My least favorite thing about triathlon is that it's an elitist sport and with all these other posts about what gimmick to spend your money on, these type of posts are the best. Getting paid to train as a bike messenger isn't all bad either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. But, we need bigger pics of the bike rig. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: why I am currently #1 in big kahuna (i have no car) [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
This is awesome good on you man. My least favorite thing about triathlon is that it's an elitist sport and with all these other posts about what gimmick to spend your money on, these type of posts are the best. Getting paid to train as a bike messenger isn't all bad either.

there are some other folks I am hoping to awaken with a post like this. Pro athlete Thomas Grelach also is a part of the car free life.... true adoption of "that triathlon life". So if anyone has similar to share, please do! (It helps me in my bike infrastructure advocacy - when car drivers say they NEED a car to do certain things in an urban area)
Last edited by: synthetic: Apr 19, 21 8:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This reminded me of a sight seen at a construction site in the city the other day... They had a fleet of electric bikes hooked to trailers piled up with boxes and bins of stuff. Too heavy for a normal bike, but the e-bike approach made it doable. Struck me as a cool/efficient way to move equipment around at the start/end of day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What psi do you have to put in the tires to keep them from going flat when riding with a couple 50lb bags of cement?
Quote Reply
Re: why I am currently #1 in big kahuna (i have no car) [PineCreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PineCreek wrote:
What psi do you have to put in the tires to keep them from going flat when riding with a couple 50lb bags of cement?

I think he runs solid airless tires.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: why I am currently #1 in big kahuna (i have no car) [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
PineCreek wrote:

This. 115 psi model of tannus tires
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
bretzky wrote:

(It helps me in my bike infrastructure advocacy - when car drivers say they NEED a car to do certain things in an urban area)

You mean like driving my kids somewhere when its rains?
Quote Reply
Re: why I am currently #1 in big kahuna (i have no car) [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see parents drive their kids 2 blocks to their school (400m), in nice weather..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of my visits to Asia. There was a guy on a bike also carrying about 20 propane tanks, a family all on one bike, guy with an extension ladder. When it’s your means of transportation, you find a way. You’ve got me thinking about taking my bike for various short trips instead of driving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
plant_based wrote:
PineCreek wrote:

I'm telling myself that if I can maintain 2x/week of bike commuting (35 mins each way at 20+mph while moving), I'll gift myself a pair of those Tannus tires so I don't have to carry a flat kit on the commute. We'll see if it happens.
Quote Reply
Re: why I am currently #1 in big kahuna (i have no car) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
synthetic wrote:
plant_based wrote:
PineCreek wrote:

I'm telling myself that if I can maintain 2x/week of bike commuting (35 mins each way at 20+mph while moving), I'll gift myself a pair of those Tannus tires so I don't have to carry a flat kit on the commute. We'll see if it happens.

bike commute life, you schedule yourself with room for mishaps for your ETA. So the tires lower possibility of a problem but yea wont be as fast. People find me annoying when I ask for exact times when I meet them, cause not many people put in room for error in their commutes - and think they can make up time just by driving faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much slower would you say they are in your experience? I saw the web estimates that it's like a Gatorskin, but seems like it should be more
Quote Reply
Re: why I am currently #1 in big kahuna (i have no car) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
How much slower would you say they are in your experience? I saw the web estimates that it's like a Gatorskin, but seems like it should be more

It’s sobering to watch how making do with a bike as only transportation immediately devolves into a threat about lowest tire rolling resistance....
and not on the actual relevant issues (tech reliability, theft prevention, clothing, etc).

Bike advocacy or bike culture has a long road ahead. Many flats included.
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 19, 21 22:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I commuted by bike 3 to 5 days a week for about 4 years (10 miles each way). I used heavy touring tyres, but on a converted mountain bike from the mid 90’s, so speed wasn’t the aim of the game! In that time I punctured twice, but only once whilst riding - the other time the tyre went flat during the day at work. My flat kit consisted of a mini pump, tube and two tyre levers all taped together. It lived in my pack. I even took my flat kit on a few 20 mile trail runs, not realising I hadn’t taken it out! It’s only 5 mins to change a tube if you do puncture whilst riding, so in my opinion, not worth going to solid tyres.
Quote Reply
Re: why I am currently #1 in big kahuna (i have no car) [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
lightheir wrote:

It’s sobering to watch how making do with a bike as only transportation immediately devolves into a threat about lowest tire rolling resistance....
and not on the actual relevant issues (tech reliability, theft prevention, clothing, etc).

Bike advocacy or bike culture has a long road ahead. Many flats included.

LOL - guys like you take all the fun out of the room.

All the stuff you mentioned are literally irrelevant for me (tech reliability, theft prevention, clothing, etc.) - I have solutions for ALL of those, and they all work 100% well.

If this were a noob or different nonracing culture site, it'd be different, but come on man, this is ST!

And to be fair, rolling resistance literally IS the limiting factor with solid tires. If they had less rolling resistance than tubes or tubeless, they would literally be the dominant technology for wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: why I am currently #1 in big kahuna (i have no car) [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
synthetic wrote:
bretzky wrote:

(It helps me in my bike infrastructure advocacy - when car drivers say they NEED a car to do certain things in an urban area)

You mean like driving my kids somewhere when its rains?

See: DC Rainmaker.

Quote Reply
Re: why I am currently #1 in big kahuna (i have no car) [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
[

See: DC Rainmaker.

what about him? I wish he or someone similar would do a review on the tires. Yes for me, they are similar to gatorskin in résistance (the middle psi model). The low psi model great for the potholes I have to deal with at work. The high psi model tends to melt and get sticky in warmer weather.

As you can see my bike is just a $200 bike. I had a few stolen before, and the more the value the more emotional pain. I have a very good chain, but give thieves more time and they will cut whatever lock device you have
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was directed at the guy suggesting that kids will melt in the rain. You don't strike me as that type. I'm actually intrigued by the Tannus tires. I'm not worried about watts on my commuter.

Quote Reply