Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
who has road and tri bike
Quote | Reply
hey guys

who has a road and tri bike

if so what do you have and how often do you use each and/or recommending having both if an option

i have a p2 and considering an s2.
Quote Reply
Re: who has road and tri bike [JMatroni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have both a Spesh Venge and a Felt B16

I use the venge to do hill climbs/repeats and any kind of group riding other than that I'll be on the tri bike. I would say it's 60/40 leaning more towards the tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't everybody ;-)

I use tri bike only for racing and for few tempo sessions just before races.

Road bike is much more fun to train with. Occasional MTB adventures in addition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Robes road and tri bikes here. Cannondale MTB and tandem as well.

I primarily ride my road bike. When IM training I do my long rides solo or with a very small trusted group I've ridden with for years on my tri bike. No more than once oer week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri bike in-season for all key sessions, including hill-repeats, big gear work, turbo-trainer, etc

Road bike for off season, group rides, recovery rides...
Quote Reply
Re: who has road and tri bike [slowshortround] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have both. Road bike sits on the trainer (with clip-ons and TT bike fit so I can practise being in the aero position)

For long rides on weekends its the TT bike unless I'm doing a super hilly course and I'd prefer the braking and handling of my roadbike.

Also means I'm not constantly taking bikes off the trainer and putting them on again.

At the moment if I absolutely had to I could get rid of one and survive (only had the TT bike for 2 months and I survived before that). That would be surviving. Having two is living.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have both.

Prefer roadie.

Unless your going to spend the majority of the time in your TT position there is no point riding your TT bike. Jordan Rapp put out a long post (rant) about it a while back.

Kienlie is quoted as doing almost all his riding on his roadie.

A roadie lets you do group rides, is more fun in the hills and can break the monotony of being stuck in TT position for hours on end (personal opinion there).

Quote | Reply
Have both road and TT bike. Road for hill and comfort rides, TT for interval/solo.

In the sumer it is 50/50 between bikes, but winter is more 90/10 (using road bike the most).

Started out with only TT bike and bought road for autumn/winter training outdoor.

Would recommend getting both, but it is kinda luxury having 2 bikes. Could probably do fine with TT and during winter use indoor trainer.

I am not regretting having 2 bikes, although having a commuter bike also.. which doesn't get as much love besides when it is raining/snow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have both... Outside I use the tri-bike (Specialized Shiv Expert) exclusively unless I happen to do a group ride (which I do very rarely) or if the tri-bike is in the shop for service... At all other times I have the road bike (Specialized Allez) on the trainer and use it when I have to do workouts inside (normally with traineroad.com) because of weather and such... I much prefer riding my tri-bike I could ride all do comfortably in the aero position and never get out except for that that pesky thing called traffic :)

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both. I do most of my riding on the tri bike. I use the road bike for Sunday recovery rides and for any group rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri bike exclusively on the trainer and races. Mix of road, cross,or MTB outdoors.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just recently starting riding a road bike again and only cuz I'm going to do a draft legal race this season and I'm working on the fit.

The only other time I ride my road bike is when I'm riding on the trainer, local group rides, mountains in Georgia or with the GF.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: who has road and tri bike [Finn73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finn73 wrote:
Doesn't everybody ;-)

I use tri bike only for racing and for few tempo sessions just before races.

Road bike is much more fun to train with. Occasional MTB adventures in addition.

This ^^^

Allez and Transition. They are like a wife and a girl friend - I carefully split time between them and look forward to riding both.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P5 and an S2. Off season, CompuTrainer and Base work, mainly the S2. Within Build, Peak and Race phases, mainly the TT bike on the road.

Off topic slightly, but that's not all! Winter outside and when I want to get dirty, a modded 2x10 aluminum Trek Cobia 29er MTB down on the single track trails. Then of course Thursday nights = cruiser night with my new Felt cruiser (won it as a door prize at a local HIM!--Yahoo!!).

Even more off topic, I'd like to maybe get a cross bike too to complete my stable for the kind of riding I can do around home. And maybe a billy goat bike for the dream Euro vacation to do all the Grand Tour climbs. And..........

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P3 and a titanium road bike. I ride the road bike in the winter almost exclusively and I will transition to the TT bike around March or so. This year I stayed on the TT bike a lot after March and I only moved to the road bike for unstructured sessions. I'm guessing 60/40 split in favor of the TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: who has road and tri bike [Finn73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2. Several road bikes and 'cross bikes in addition to the tri bike. You can't have too many bikes! Currently there are 5 on the racks and 4 frames in the closet awaiting rebuild.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo P3 for tempo training and last 2-3 months before Ironman

Cervelo S5 for group rides, endurance rides and on holidays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Trek 1.1 (I know, nothing great) road bike that I use about once ever three rides. My tri bike, a Guru Aero Ti', is usually on the road a lot more during the season. Granted, it's new to me, and I ride the absolute day lights out of it, so I could be biased. Coming from one bike, to two including a TT bike is awesome, if the funds are available, I highly recommend having both
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To echo others, I have a Cannondale Synapse and a Kuota K-factor. In the winter I ride the tri bike 95% of the time on the trainer. On the rare nice day that's outside-ride worthy I'll take the road bike.

In outdoor riding season I would say I ride about 50/50. The tri bike usually stays on the trainer all summer and I use it there at least once, if not twice a week for focused interval work. I will also take it off the trainer for solo rides where the goal is to spend lots of time in aero. Otherwise I am riding the road bike. Its more pleasant to ride on hilly, windy roads, and obviously if I am with a group its a safer choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo tri bike and a Felt road bike.

Use my tri bike most of the time. Road bike for easy short rides in the city where I can't sit in the aero bars most of the ride, or group rides. If I am on my trainer, I am on my tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have a road and tri bike. The tri bike is really on ridden on and around race day. It is a P5. I also have a Cannondale super six evo which is what I train on almost exclusively. My prior tribike, my Kestrel Airfoil Pro has been relagated to full time status on the trainer. I have been hit by a truck and car while training, so I feel safer on my road bike with it's better handling and access to brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first bike was a tri bike (speed concept). So I basically started with only a tri bike. I rode it several thousand miles and thought it was great because it was all I knew. Then I got a road bike. At first I didn't like it. Now that I've ridden that thousands of miles I MUCH PREFER training on the road bike. With a solid TT position it gets old staring at the pavement. I can actually see well on the road bike. So for me now I do about one maybe 2 sessions / week on the TT bike one of which is hard. All other riding road bike.

For me....if I was doing long course I'd probably do at least 2-3 sessions on the TT bike just to get used to being in that position for a longer duration. I'd also probably relax my position slightly so it's not so hard to see up the road while in the aero position. Many of the pros are now in quite aggressive positions (Rapp, Keinle) and it can't be any fun or very comfortable on the neck doing 112 miles like that....ouch.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: who has road and tri bike [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have both. During the offseason I ride the road bike outside and put the tri bike on the trainer. During the season I put the road bike on the trainer and ride the tri outdoors unless I will be riding a gorup ride or a hilly technical course. Tri bike is really only used for race specific training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do. I bought my road bike first when I signed up for my first triathlon. My theory was if I didn't like triathlon I'd still have a decent road bike. It isn't super-duper high end. It is a CAAD8. A very rideable, serviceable aluminum frame roadie that I'll never get rid of. Once I decided I liked tri I took the plunge and got a really good tri bike.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P2 and S5 (as of last OCT). P2 two trainer rides wkly, S5 twice wkly. Happy I finally got a road bike, Quarq on the P2 only... for now different bbs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next