Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
who's watching swimming Worlds?
Quote | Reply
4x100 free relay, lots of impressive performances. New AR for Dressel on the leadoff, WR for Sjostrom on the leadoff. Fratus was 21.9 for his first 50 trying to catch Adrian on the anchor.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: who's watching swimming Worlds? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i didn't understand how an american woman could be so far behind sjostrom and still set an american record.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: who's watching swimming Worlds? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, Sjostrom shattered the WR. Shattered. She's swimming unbelievably well since she dropped the 200 free from her schedule to focus on the sprints.

Mallory C's 52.59 is nothing to sneeze at. 51.71 is ridiculous.......

If I were to choose between the best women in the world right now, I'd find it pretty hard to choose between Ledecky, Sjostrom, and Hosszu.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jul 24, 17 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the 4x100 men's relay, and I actually thought Brazil would have been that good last year. I'm glad Walter's record went down, that was one of the records a lot of American coaches really wanted to see go away, with the other being Biedermann's. Don't hate me though (for being American), but I was hoping Fratus would run down Adrian. Idk, although I'm not a Cielo fan at all, I liked that Brazil busted out what they were always capable of doing but never did.

Only other races that spark my interest are the men's 50fr and 100fl.
Quote Reply
Re: who's watching swimming Worlds? [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With Ervin missing the team this year, it was nice to see Nic Santos (37yo - brazil) show that the old guys can still bring it with silver in the 50 fly.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
If I were to choose between the best women in the world right now, I'd find it pretty hard to choose between Ledecky, Sjostrom, and Hosszu.

All three of those ladies might win 4 individual golds. And that relay lead-off by Sjostrom was a hugely impressive individual performance. That said, when Sjostrom and Ledecky both stretched their range and went head-to-head in the 200 at Rio, Katie came out on top. If Ledecky can convincingly win all the freestyle events from 200-1500, and swim the finals on two gold-medal winning relays, it would be hard to pick against her, even if she doesn't set any World Records at this championship.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: who's watching swimming Worlds? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
true, but I also don't really want to get into the game of deciding who is the best by how well they do against each other in arguably the "worst" of their best events.

Sjostrom has 3 LC WR's now? 50 fly, 100 fly, and now the 100 free, and she's really close in the 50 free. she might get that one this week.

Ledecky has 3. I don't see her adding the 200 record this week (but I'd happily be proven wrong).

Katinka has 2 IMs Don't think she can get Missy's 200 back record.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTF happened to Pickerm? Got out at the 50! Hope she's ok...

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: who's watching swimming Worlds? [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that, looking for news on it now. nothing on CBC so far.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jul 24, 17 10:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
WTF happened to Pickerm? Got out at the 50! Hope she's ok...

according to swimswam, she got a lungful of water at the turn. Sounds like she's OK.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it televised anywhere in the US. I'm trying to find it but don't see anything.
Quote Reply
Re: who's watching swimming Worlds? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we get live streaming on cbc.ca (but you're probably geoblocked)

I "think" NBC has the rights in the US.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Well, Sjostrom shattered the WR. Shattered. She's swimming unbelievably well since she dropped the 200 free from her schedule to focus on the sprints.

Mallory C's 52.59 is nothing to sneeze at. 51.71 is ridiculous.......

Sorry have to disagree. Sjostrom is very 100 FR/FL sprint oriented, not much else. If sprint only rocks your boat you will put her with the other two. Whereas Hoszu and Ladecky have a much wider repertoire and dominate their events equally if not more then Sjostrom. You don't have to agree with me at all. That was just my 2c.
Last edited by: atasic: Jul 24, 17 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: who's watching swimming Worlds? [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and Ledecky is middle distance / distance free oriented, not much else (she does have a decent 400IM and is a valuable, but not brilliant, 4x100 free relay swimmer.

hosszu is primarily an IM'er / backstroker, and she isn't dominant in the backstroke like she is in IM. I don't see her contending in free / fly / breast at the WC/Olympic level.

sjostrom is 50/100 free / fly, but can do a really fast 200. The way she is swimming so far this year, I don't see anyone getting close to her in her 4 best events. She also popped off a Swedish NR in the 50 back earlier this year, at the time it put her at 13th in the world. Not bad for someone who isn't a backstroker.

They are all very different swimmers.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jul 24, 17 12:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a little disappointed that Lia Neal wasn't on the relay at night.
She led off the prelims with a 53.9 and Katie "only" split a 53.8 flying start.

The women's 100 breast is going to be great tomorrow.
The men's 800 free relay is shaping up to be a fight between the US and UK.

I'm glad to Pickrem is ok, was so worried after she disappeared. Thought it was an injury, glad it's not.
Quote Reply
Re: who's watching swimming Worlds? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NBC Sports

Quote Reply
Re: who's watching swimming Worlds? [stoobie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stoobie wrote:
I was a little disappointed that Lia Neal wasn't on the relay at night.
She led off the prelims with a 53.9 and Katie "only" split a 53.8 flying start.

Yeah, it was clearly a "share the wealth" situation. The US is almost always deep enough that they can try to get as many medals out of relay as possible by running different lineups prelims and finals. On pure 100-free-speed merit/Nationals placing, Katie should have had to try to swim her way into a finals position in the prelims while Comerford should have had the "bye." Neal and Worrel would have almost certainly outperformed Katie in prelims, and advanced to the finals. But Katie had two 400's to swim that day, so they let her skip prelims and have a finals relay spot so she'd be fresher for the 400 final. It almost backfired on them.

Last edited by: gary p: Jul 24, 17 13:46
Quote Reply
Re: who's watching swimming Worlds? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing Comerford swam in the morning because she has no big meet experience, so it helped to get the jitters out - and it worked beautifully, I'd say.

Generally (not specific to you) -coaches always hate it when parents second guess them, so I'm always loathe to second guess relay decisions as a fan. It's clear to the whole team that they are that - a team- and that everyone is eligible for the relay, so training camp, taper etc all play into the selection. That's not so say we can't scratch our heads, but to say they were "wrong" for selecting Ledecky over Neal seems a bit far fetched to me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
I'm guessing Comerford swam in the morning because she has no big meet experience, so it helped to get the jitters out - and it worked beautifully, I'd say.

Generally (not specific to you) -coaches always hate it when parents second guess them, so I'm always loathe to second guess relay decisions as a fan. It's clear to the whole team that they are that - a team- and that everyone is eligible for the relay, so training camp, taper etc all play into the selection. That's not so say we can't scratch our heads, but to say they were "wrong" for selecting Ledecky over Neal seems a bit far fetched to me.

They won the gold so there's no need to second guess. There were sound justifications for the choices that were made, even if they didn't follow the strictest "merit" criteria. Had they not won, however, with Ledecky having the slowest split in the finals of all 8 relay swims, there would be equally sound justification for questioning whether she should have gotten the nod over Neal for the finals.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me, it's strange how the whole thing went down...and by no means am I suggesting favoritism or anything along those lines.
Back before the relay rules change you'd have your 5th and 6th place swimmers coming out of trials on the morning relay automatically.
I like the new rule that allows you to use anyone on the roster to fill out relays, but for this relay would have thought you'd have the 5th and 6th given who's on the roster.
Neal makes sense in the morning, she's lead off prelims at the Olympics in Rio and London (going on memory, might be wrong).
I also like the Comerford move to shake off nerves and the like.

I know you competed at a high level so maybe you are familiar with the timing of things.
When are relay line-ups due? (thinking along the lines of relay cards back in the day)

Reason I ask is because you'd think you would have left Worrell off the morning relay given her 100 fly in prelims.

What's done is done and am glad they won, more interested in understanding the rationale cause Conger is hanging out there and I'm curious to see if he gets on the 800 free relay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
and Ledecky is middle distance / distance free oriented, not much else (she does have a decent 400IM and is a valuable, but not brilliant, 4x100 free relay swimmer.

hosszu is primarily an IM'er / backstroker, and she isn't dominant in the backstroke like she is in IM. I don't see her contending in free / fly / breast at the WC/Olympic level.

sjostrom is 50/100 free / fly, but can do a really fast 200. The way she is swimming so far this year, I don't see anyone getting close to her in her 4 best events. She also popped off a Swedish NR in the 50 back earlier this year, at the time it put her at 13th in the world. Not bad for someone who isn't a backstroker.

They are all very different swimmers.

Hosszu has two 200 Fly World Championship bronze medals already, and is a medal contender in that event again this year. She also won silver in the 200 Free at the most recent Short Course Worlds. She's more than just an IM/backstroker. I think she makes a better case for "worlds best female swimmer" than Sjostrom. She certainly has more range, distance- and stroke-wise.

But, with Leah Smith scratching out of the 1500, Ledecky's probably gonna win that event by a full pool length. A "long course" pool length. Fifty. Full. Meters. That's a visual that will leave an impact. And she won't even have to set a PB to do it. She's just that much better than anyone the rest of the world can throw against her right now. I'm pretty sure she'd still be regularly crushing 400/800/1500 records if she wasn't diversifying out of boredom.

Last edited by: gary p: Jul 24, 17 15:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been catching some of it. It would be nice to have a lot more swimming on TV than what there is. I rather enjoy the swimming--it's different than the mainstream sports that just bore the snot out of me...
Quote Reply
Re: who's watching swimming Worlds? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this on UK TV anywhere?
Quote Reply
Re: who's watching swimming Worlds? [stoobie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I recall, lineups are due maybe an hour after prelims? I'm sure Ledecky was selected on the basis of being Ledecky.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C'mon, Kylie is a fingernail of the WR...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply

Prev Next