Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

what is a good training scheduale 4 a beginner?
Quote | Reply
i've jus started getting into triathlons and will have my first one in a couple of months. i have been running and biking some, but the lake is to cold and the gym pool never has an opening. so i was wondering about two things, one what is a good scheduale, and two where can i swim!

If a man does his best, what more can we ask?
Quote Reply
Re: what is a good training scheduale 4 a beginner? [trikid15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Try this for starters: http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_10wOly.asp

2. Get a private gym membership with less crowded pool lanes, like 24 hour fitness
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Buy this book. It has lots of plans and training info:
Training Plans for Multisport Athletes (Ultimate Training Series) by Gale Bernhardt (Paperback)

2. "Gym pool never has an opening" Not sure what you mean by this. As long as you can see 8 feet of clear water, then there is space for you. Lane sharing is very common for swimmers, especially at popular pools. You might feel hesitant to share a lane with some really fast swimmers, but usually there is a lane with some old or slow folks you can hop into. A few years ago when I started training we would share 6 to a lane in a 25m pool when it was busy. If nothing else it will get you used to the bumps and jostling that will be emminent in your first race. Local gyms (Golds, 24 hour fitness, Bally's) should have good pools. If that's not in your budget, try local highschools, YMCA's and rec centers. You end up paying as much as a gym membership if you swim lots, but it may be more convenient. Most community pools should have open hours, or lap hours, in which you could swim. Also, check with your local college and university to see if they have a pool/open swimming at a fee. Some even have community ed classes you can take to get instruction too. And even though the lake is too cold, go swim there a few times before your race so you aren't freaking out on race day, which you will, if you don't swim in a lake beforehand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are millions of good resources out there.

Don't be shy about asking kids at your school or even teachers advice. Some kids may have done the race you want to do and I'm sure some teachers have. There are teachers and coaches in your area who do triathlons. I have met some of them at Idaho races.

As far as swimming, do it enough so you know you can cover the distance without too much trouble. Make sure you run at least 2X a week. Another concept you will learn about is the brick, where you do your bike ride, then do a short run right away. Do this a few times and you will learn what the race will feel like. Good luck!
Quote Reply