Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
what do you swim a 500m in?
Quote | Reply
Just curious to see what a good time or even average time (yeah lets stretch average time) for a 500m swim TT? Thanks for your help.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Re: what do you swim a 500m in? [k-factorian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8:49 (PR)

I average about 10 min. at a medium to easy pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now would probably be somewhere around 5:50 for long course. Back in the day would have been somewhere between 5:10-5:15.

Yards would be 4:55 now and 4:35 back in the day.
Quote Reply
Re: what do you swim a 500m in? [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm probably around 8 minutes. I've been swimming for about a year. There are usualy about 2 to 4 people out of 16 on a given day that swim faster than me at our pool.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 min for a nice and steady pace.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9:50 PR, but I've only been swimming for a year. My daughter the fish routinely thrashes me in the pool (she comes in easy about 7:00). The least she could do is breathe hard and pretend to be tired afterwards.
Quote Reply
Re: what do you swim a 500m in? [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't call what I do "swimming." It's more like "floating with minimal forward motion."

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7:15 this past weekend in a race.
Last edited by: rufusnafu: Jun 23, 06 11:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New swimmer (<1 year as an adult) hitting 8 minutes over the winter while going to masters swim class. Lately, have fallen back to 8:25 or so...
Ooops - sorry - that's 500 YARDS. in a pool - no suit. Faster than some - slower than a LOT!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 9 - 10 min a pool or open water at a good pace for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6:50 for 500 yards--I started swimming last year and I'm slowly working my way toward 6:00 (that's my dream goal!). This one dude I swim with, ex-college swimmer, nails a 500 in 5:15 with total ease.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5:50's depending on the day, always under 6:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Q: what do you swim a 500m in?
A: my Tyr tri-cut suit

....could probably go around 7:45 min in open water with wetsuit.

@Kid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5:52 - Just did it at lunch. Yards would be around 5:20ish. If I were doing repeats they'd be around 5:55 - 6:10 for 500m. Just b/c I want to brag, back in the day I could go 3:55 for 400m. Don't think I'll be seeing that again though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't ever done a 500m for time (hadn't occurred to me until your email!) usual 1000m (sc) TT between 14:30 and 14:45, so I guess that would translate to ~7:00-7:15 for 500m. Background: used to swim in HS and a bit in college (loooong ago), but max 200yds for competition (i.e. my swim endurance sucks).

Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
theres alot of p[retty fast people on this site. I di mine today in ...well, I guess it doesn't matter. slower than 6:00 tho. Thanks everyone, I had some interest in what times people are running and I have a good varience.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Open water in about 7:45 if I push a little, and 8:00 if I just stroke along at an easy pace.

I think that I could go 6:15-6:30 at the end of the season if I really pushed hard w/ a wet suit. I don't knwo how guys go any faster than that.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub 8min..

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Re: what do you swim a 500m in? [govols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
5:52 - Just did it at lunch. Yards would be around 5:20ish. If I were doing repeats they'd be around 5:55 - 6:10 for 500m. Just b/c I want to brag, back in the day I could go 3:55 for 400m. Don't think I'll be seeing that again though.

3:55?? That is flying!!!That puts you at a 4:19-4:20 ish 500yd Nice time.

My PB was in the High 4:20's- oddly I can't remember exactly what it was, I am thinking 4:27. Never swam a rested 400M, but I wish I had becasue my turns sucked. I was the guy who always got hammered on the turns then swam faster between the flags.

For a 500M short course I usually do 500 for warm up and I am alway in under 7:00, usually closer to 6:30-6:46. I have not swam a 500M hard in long a long time but I would guess I can go sub 6:00

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim 500 yard repeats on a 6:45 interval....average about 6:15-6:20 which is a moderate effort. All out, I'm at about 5:50-5:55.

I never swim meters unfortunately...my local pool is yards.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a pool, with no flip turns, my fastest has been about 8:00. That was a couple of years ago, I guess I don't do 500 TTs very often (or, um, ever).

I did a 1000 warm-up today and averaged 8:15/500, so I guess if I were really inspired to test myself, I could prbably swim under 8:00 without too much work.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the day,1977, a 500 YARDS free was low 4:50's shaved and tapered. In my early 30's it was a 5:04 shaved and tapered. Now at age 49 it is just under 5:20 shaved and tapered. My 1,000 yd shaved and tapered is 10:59. In workouts where we do a few repeat 4x500's yds on 7:00 I can start out going 5:55, then bring it down to a 5:40-5:45.
Last edited by: swimfool: Jun 23, 06 15:16
Quote Reply
Re: what do you swim a 500m in? [immyfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"in a pool - no suit"

---------------

I'm glad I don't swim at your pool.

8:20-30 is all out for me for 500m. 9:15ish is pretty easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
500 yards: Today I'm psyched to do 3 or 4 500s at 6:45-7 with 30-60 sec. rest. If I raced ONE I would be very happy with a sub 6 (I think I swam 5:45 in high school). I do oly swims in 22 min. usually (for refernce).
Quote Reply

Prev Next