Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

what do you do with your race number when....
Quote | Reply
my friend signed up for a race and im trying to guide her through it but something stange has come up .... it states on the race packet that you cannot use a race belt ... this makes no sense to me ... i of couse just recently told her that she needed one and told her if she didnt use one she could get stuck with the pins during the race ... so now she is looking to me for an answer. She isnt wearing a wetsuit ... does she pin it on after the swim ... it seems weird to me that she would have to do this in transition ... or does she pin it on before the swim .. this also doesnt make sense to me as i would imagine it would be quite annoying and cause lots of drag and maybe even fall off. what should i tell her?
Quote Reply
Re: what do you do with your race number when.... [2fast4u] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be emailing the RD or race organizers of the event and asking what's up with that.

She can pin it on her shirt for when she comes out of the swim. I have done that, before I knew what a race belt was.

Are they giving 2 numbers out? 1 for the back for the bike portion and 1 for the front for the run?

Is it one of your(assume you are US) obscure USAT rules?

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this for one of the NYTC races where they use the DAG system?

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can't use a race belt? That is crazy. I doubt I would even look for that type of instruction. I think if it were me I would put a second top in the TA with it pinned and just pull it on over the top I swam in. Still think it is nuts, I have never heard of that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the harriman tri right? Its one of the only races I have ever seen that disallows race belts.
I usually have pin the number on my jersey and pull it on after the swim. Didn't really see anyone doing anything else last year.
Quote Reply
Re: what do you do with your race number when.... [jonblyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is for the Harriman sprint ... what is DAG
Quote Reply
Re: what do you do with your race number when.... [Misfit4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the central park tri last year (8th overall btw) and they used the system. They don't want you to use race belts because the timing system only works if the bib is in front of you, and with a belt the bib can spin around. Also, if you use a race belt your swim split will be lost (unless you wear the belt in the swim). I just safey pinned the bib to my tri top and it worked OK.

Don't drop your chain on the hills.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rarely use my race belt as I almost always forget it. I always end up grabbing my number after the bike and holding it in my hand during the run. Of course it ends up being waded up in a ball by the finish.

That is better than the time I put it in the front of my tri shorts and took it out at the finish for them to rip off the bottom tag. (They let me rip it off myself.)
Quote Reply
Re: what do you do with your race number when.... [jonblyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you swam with it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup - this is Harriman. I did the June sprint tri there.

I pinned it on my Tri jersey, and wore it the whole day that way. Swam w/ it under my wetsuit, so I didn't hafta deal with it in T1. No problemo.

It was a Tyvek (or similar) "plastic paper" number, w/ wiring taped on the back for the timing devices.

The fact that it was disposable was kinda cool. The fact that one couldn't use a race belt was kinda annoying. The RD made an announcement that said you could use TWO race belts to hold the number on, but that just seems totally f'n ridiculous.

Tell your friend to pin it to the jersey. Set it and forget it.

Edit - as long as you wear the # as you leave T1 (which I think they said was mandatory anwyay) you will not lose your swim split. The swim split + T1 are recorded as you exit T1, and it records again as you exit T2. So, your run split time is the only "accurate" (stand alone) one. You only cross the timing mat 3x all day. So, no separate T1 and T2 times.

At least, that's how they did it in June '05.

float , hammer , and jog

Last edited by: Murphy'sLaw: Aug 9, 05 12:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've forgotten my race belt at a few races over the years and when I do I just pin the number to my tank top or skin suit before the swim. Not annoying, maybe a bit more drag, and it's never come off. But if she's putting on a top in T1, I'd pin it to that.
Quote Reply
Re: what do you do with your race number when.... [gonzobob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of a roadie 'I don't want pinholes in my team kit' thing, but earlier this year I saw an advertisement in the back of Velonews for some double sided tape that claimed to eliminate the need for pinning numbers marketed by a company known as Grizzygrip (http://www.grizzygrip.com). Kind of pricey but was curious and decided to order a roll and I have to say it works pretty well although I still use one or two pins just to be safe. A roll pins quite a few numbers and after 3-months worth of road racing events, I just ordered my second roll of this tape and I can attest to the fact that the number does stay on even when wet - accidentally washed my skinsuit with number still attached as well as raced in a heavy downpour last weekend for the state ITT championships.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If she pins it to her shirt and puts the shirt on in T1, make sure she dries off really well. One time, I pinned the number to the front of my shirt, but then had the whole shirt bunch up on me while trying to pull it over my head in transition. It was very difficult to wrench it down with all that adrenilin (sp??) coursing through my veins. If she goes this route, it would probably be worth it to practice a time or two. My little shirt disaster (which, of course, came after the "I can't get my damn wetsuit off" disaster) made me an immediate race belt convert.
Quote Reply