Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: what disc would you get [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my vote, Renn disk with Conti Comp GP sew ups.

15 years racing on the Conti's and only 2 flats in that time span on them.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: tubulars... [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When i was using tubulars i had ten times the flats i have now using clinchers,maybe it was my weight,have had tubular flat in a race,i got so feed up with the cost and getting flats i went to clinchers.My two cents Randall
Quote Reply
RENN!!!! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go with Renn. At least give Frank a call, or e-mail. I cannot get involved to much with technical information, but the customer support that you will get from him is unbelievable. He stands behind his product, and will give you more than enough information for you to make comparisins. I've had mine for a few weeks, and mine has been great so far.

jay t
Quote Reply
Re: RENN!!!! [jayt1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just emailed Frank...hopefully, he'll get the deep rim out soon too.
Quote Reply
Re: RENN!!!! [jayt1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The american classic cassete is campagnolo compatible but isnt campagnolo chain compatible

check out the important notes on their site:

http://www.amclassic.com/Cassettes.html

Go with corima.... campy compatible, almoust light as a zipp and a very good price, at least in Europe.

I dont believe in the dimples of the zipp..... they dont foul me, but very cool indeed.

Sergio From Portugal

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: RENN!!!! [sergiopica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tiso at www.tisobike.com has a compatible cassette
that works for the chain too.
Quote Reply
Re: what disc would you get [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had two tubular flats in 3 years of racing, FWIW. I would never race on clinchers. Changing a tube can take forever, and if you pinch it trying to do it too quickly, you have to start all over again. I did a ride in Gainesville (the Horsefarm 100) and I stopped to help a guy who was sitting in a pile of dead tubes. He was swearing a blue streak so I figured God had called me. j/k Anyway, he was down to his last tube (he had wisely packed 3) and I slowly walked him through it. Fifteen minutes later he was on his bike. Oh, and he needed two of my canisters of CO2 because he mis-fired the first one. Yes, a definite newby, but that's why us old guys are still alive right? :) Also, a buddy of mine decided to switch from tubulars to clinchers and flatted in his first race with them. He never got the spare tube to work properly and he walked his bike in. He's now back to tubulars, but he did have to take a 2 month course of high blood pressure meds to recover from the trauma.

Why not buy one of those very pricey Falcon Accel II wheels? Aren't all the track racers using them? They may not be the most rugged, but you could climb the Zermatt on one they are so light. <700 grams>

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: what disc would you get [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not buy one of those very pricey Falcon Accel II wheels? Aren't all the track racers using them? They may not be the most rugged, but you could climb the Zermatt on one they are so light. <700 grams>

Be careful of weights on manufacturers web sites, the Falcon Acell II mass does not include hubs. I have been doing a bit of research into wheel weights and I have found it depends upon who you ask as to how much they weigh. I have made up a table of wheel weights which are I believe representative of true mass (give or take for hub variations).

Rear Disc Tubular Wheels 650c/700c (add approx 100g for clinchers)

Falcon Acell II 750/920
Zipp 840 & 900 875/960
Lightweight 910/1000
Corima CN 940/1020
Suguno 975/1075
Campy Ghibli N/A/1100

X-Treme 1000/1100
XLab 1070/1185
HED Superlight 1100/1220
Renn 1100/1195
FIR 1200/1300
HED Kona 1200/1300
Mavic Comet 1300/1400

Front Aero Tubular Wheels 650c/700c (add approx 100g for clinchers)

Lightweight aero 440/585

Xlab aero 500/565

Zipp 440 515/570

HED Alps 575/650

Corima Aero 590/630

X-Treme 640/740

Nimble 3 665/710

Giant Aero 700/800

XLab 4 710/795

HED 3D 720/790

Corima 4 735/775

FIR 4 735/775

HED Jet 60 760/800
XLab 3 760/800

HED Deep 90 790/1020
Campagnola Shamal 800/950
FIR 3 800/90
CAT 3 850/N/A

Spinergy 4 850/1020
Specialized 3 1050/1200
Aerospoke 4 1470/1570

If anybody disagrees with the weights posted i.e. you have the wheel and you have weighed it please let me know so I can update my list.

On a personal note I would go with a Zipp rear disc and a nimble front or a Corima Disc and Corima 4 spoke front, although there is a lot to be said for elliptical discs and large surface area for front wheels. Choices, choices, choices....

Cheers

Andy A
Last edited by: AndyA: Mar 28, 03 6:54
Quote Reply
Re: what disc would you get [AndyA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remember, that the MDT wheels are rebadged Corima products. Their 4 spoke is a deadringer for the Corima 4 spoke, as well as their disc.

Many mfr's lie about their weights. I have found only one who actually claims higher than what it weighs on my trusty scale: the Renn disc. I had mine weigh 1190 (700c tub).

ON your table, are these weights for tubulars or clinchers? The difference between clincher and tubular weights is roughly 100 or so grams.
Quote Reply
Re: what disc would you get [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers Bunnyman

They are masses for tubular wheels, I have updated the list above in light of your comments.

Thanks AndyA
Quote Reply
Re: what disc would you get [AndyA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bunnyman

Please see my new thread "Wheel manufacturer claimed weights"

AndyA
Quote Reply

Prev Next