Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

what can you tell me about a zipp 400 wheel
Quote | Reply
it apears to be the old 404. it is from the 90's and has a 58 mm depth. Also the wheel is carbon. is this a good wheel and how does it match up with todays wheels like a tri spoke or a deeper front?
Quote Reply
Re: what can you tell me about a zipp 400 wheel [nos306stang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like most products the Zipp family of wheels have gone through a substantial evolution and resulting improvements.

The most recent versions have greatly improved hub shells of unique 4000 series aluminum alloy with new dust cap retention devices, better application of graphics and a unique dimpled surface treatement that some people believe is more aerodynamic.

Older versions are still very good, including a version that was briefly made with hubs by the Swiss manufacturer Edco. The hub shells of the older Edco hub versions were machined on mills that are also used in the watch manufacturing industry and have the capability for a high degree of precision.

Every year Zipp has improved their designs, manufacturing processes and the quality of their products. There are a lot of good wheels out there, and my favorites are Zipp and Hed.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The TriSpoke design is actually older than the Zipp 400 design... the 400 was right at the top in its day...changes since then are incremental. If it is in good shape, this wheel will be just fine, and will save you heaps over a new model 404. The fraction of a decimal point between its drag and a brand new wheel pales in comparison to the double digit difference in drag percentage between ANY of these wheels and a standard box section 32 spoke wheel... If you get a good deal, and the wheel is sound...jump on it.
Quote Reply
Re: what can you tell me about a zipp 400 wheel [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats pretty much what i figured. It would be a little worse than the newer wheels but nothing major. What would be a good price for a front wheel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here I can't really help...I don't know what shape the wheel is in...what the history of it is...and frankly...I don't know what the going price for a (I'm guessing here) mid-to-late 90's Zipp 400 wheel...

Tom....???
Quote Reply
Re: what can you tell me about a zipp 400 wheel [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One great way to gauge price is to look and see what things have sold for on ebay. Most articles tend to sell for approximately the same price so long as their condition is about the same. Its also a decent way to get a look at the condition of items of similar age. Its also interesting to track the prices of things. In mid Oct of last year you could get a specialized tri spoke front for about $170. Chances of getting one at that price now is about zilch. The price I pay for hesitation.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply