Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
what bike do you use on your trainer?
Quote | Reply
I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford a few different bikes but wondering if I should have a "junker" bike that just always stays on my bike trainer. It's mostly a convenience thing and maybe an easier thing would be for me to just have an extra rear wheel so I have one rear wheel with outside tire and another for the trainer. I think I just answered my own question. lol This is very much a first world problem. But I still am interested if others here have a bike they only ride on the trainer
Quote Reply
Re: what bike do you use on your trainer? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford a few different bikes but wondering if I should have a "junker" bike that just always stays on my bike trainer. It's mostly a convenience thing and maybe an easier thing would be for me to just have an extra rear wheel so I have one rear wheel with outside tire and another for the trainer. I think I just answered my own question. lol This is very much a first world problem. But I still am interested if others here have a bike they only ride on the trainer

First, I use all my bikes on my trainer with no issues (Cannondale SuperSix, Cervelo P3 and CAADX and another cannondale which is girlfriend's) both on Kurt Kinetic Road Machine and Tacx Neo. Zero problems. I personally don't think there is a need to have a beater bike (especially if you have power meter installed on your bike, saddle positions, etc.) unless you do really stupid shit on the bike.

Changing rear tire gets very old very quickly, especially if you switch between indoors and outdoors. Having an extra wheel with a trainer tire on could work, but you could also just use your regular wheel with regular tire. If you can get a trainer that you just clamp your bike on it's even better as a switch between outdoors and indoors becomes really easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both my old road and TT bikes permanently on trainers (kickr and KK).

They live there now and it is their happy place. I have them all setup with tables, water bottles, computers, towels, mats (sweat like a pig), etc. and it's annoying to switch them out.

If you need to get a new bike to pull this off then so be it ;)

I justify the expense of the many bikes by driving a POS car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My racing TT bike lives on my trainer. I like to train in the TT position as much as possible, since nearly all of my riding is indoors. I pull the TT bike off the trainer for a few long outdoor weekend rides leading up to a race. Otherwise, I ride my road bike outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My road bike (older aluminum Fuji) pretty much lives on the trainer now, especially as I've migrated to riding my gravel bike more and more anyway. Cheapo Vuelta wheel/trainer tire/cassette, so no faffing about with switching that stuff over on the rare occasion I do take that bike outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not buy a direct drive trainer put your racing bike on it and off you go? Then you ride your race bike and get used the position and can practice the skills you are most likely to need (other than weather of course). If you can afford it you can still buy a used bike for bad weather or whatever......

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a spare Ventum set up on the trainer with more or less the same setup as my race bike. Cost no object, it's nice to train on exactly what you race. This bike also does double duty as a spare race bike if anything were to happen to my primary one. Other times of the year, I have an old cross bike on the trainer, which is a little more comfy for very high end (sprint) workouts.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
right now, my race bike is on the trainer, but I have a frame sitting around that will go on it, eventually, once I get around to building it up to the same position as my race bike

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the "Great White North" of Canada and that means not getting outdoors until April/May unless you are wearing 26 layers of clothing. Since the majority of my riding is indoors from Nov-May, I use my road bike on the trainer and it only comes off to switch in my wife's bike when she rides. Now I will say having a direct drive trainer makes this literally a 30s switch between bikes. As May approaches and I move outside (and my training plan begins to get more specific) I put my TT bike on the trainer and use my road bike for almost all outdoor riding. Since I'm doing 2-3 indoor sessions a week that gives my TT position some sharpening and I can enjoy riding on my roadie outdoors on the weekends without switching things around.

I think Direct Drive trainer is the best solution when switching bikes out often, however, having a dedicated trainer wheel with trainer tire would save a lot of hassle. Just make sure all the bikes have the same speed drivetrain so you can avoid indexing the derailleurs all the time.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: PushThePace: May 2, 18 8:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 3 road bikes and 2 TT bikes. All do time on my direct drive trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: what bike do you use on your trainer? [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
I have a spare Ventum set up on the trainer with more or less the same setup as my race bike. Cost no object, it's nice to train on exactly what you race. This bike also does double duty as a spare race bike if anything were to happen to my primary one. Other times of the year, I have an old cross bike on the trainer, which is a little more comfy for very high end (sprint) workouts.

true. I have my cervelo p2 on the trainer most of the time as outside I tend to use my road or gravel bikes outside and only occasionally take out my tri bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a room in my house dedicated to the trainer - Alien Ware Computer, 32" monitor, 32" TV mounted about the monitor, cable, NETFLIX, XM Radio, and surround sound speakers. The room has shelves and hooks for clothes as well as a built in bike rack for 2 bikes on the wall, as well as a Cycleops Magnus Smart Trainer. The floor is gym quality rubber, just like in a weight room.

The race bikes, a Specialized Transition and Cannondale Slice, hang on the that wall year round with trainer wheels and tires on them. They go into and out of the smart trainer as need. The back race wheels hang on the wall in that room.

In the garage is my Roubaix and my wife's Super 6. They are ridden outdoors from about now until late October. The race bikes are used all winter in the training room and only come out during race season a week before a race. Otherwise they are ridden during the summer when it rains or I get home too late to ride before dark.

On average each of us logs about 1000 miles, according to the Magnus, on the trainer each year. We also average about 1500 miles a year in real miles outside, between club rides and training rides. This has been the routine for years (dumb trainer with a wheel speed sensor previously) with no damage to either bike.

BTW, all 4 bikes are running power meters - two C1's, a Quarq Riken, and a set of P1, and they all match up within a few watts with each other across platforms, although the Quarq is starting to throw a bad zero check value once in a while (about 300 off normal) that causes it to read 20 watt low to the Magnus.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: what bike do you use on your trainer? [mkserge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkserge wrote:
mickison wrote:

First, I use all my bikes on my trainer with no issues (Cannondale SuperSix, Cervelo P3 and CAADX and another cannondale which is girlfriend's) both on Kurt Kinetic Road Machine and Tacx Neo. Zero problems. I personally don't think there is a need to have a beater bike (especially if you have power meter installed on your bike, saddle positions, etc.) unless you do really stupid shit on the bike.

Changing rear tire gets very old very quickly, especially if you switch between indoors and outdoors. Having an extra wheel with a trainer tire on could work, but you could also just use your regular wheel with regular tire. If you can get a trainer that you just clamp your bike on it's even better as a switch between outdoors and indoors becomes really easy.

I have a Jamis Ventura Race road bike and Cervelo P2 which both get used at times on the trainer. My gravel bike has thru axles so I don't want to bother spending money for an adapter just so it can get used on the trainer. My trainer is a Tacx Vortex Smart. Not as good as direct drive but it least it's controllable even if it reads slightly high on watts compared to my power meter. The Tacx wears down tires which would be fine if I only was using that tire indoors but I end up taking bike outdoors so I have to be more concerned about wear and tear unless I change tire and/or rear wheel. I may give it some time and leave as is for now. It's not terribly inconvenient for me. Probably a bigger annoyance is my trainer is upstairs so I have to carry bike up and down the stairs. Again, not awful but not great. Again, these are all very 1st world problems. If I stumble upon and older used road bike I may grab it. I just don't want to spend much money for something that's not really a need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My old Fuji aluminum tri bike is permanently on my trainer, and I have it set up as close to the position of my race bike as I can get it. But I can't get it to be quite as aggressive as my modern race bike, because the geometries are so different.

I see a lot of people here use their race bikes on their trainers, since they want to be in the exact race position. I've considered doing the same thing, since lately the race bike only comes out for about a week for each of the handful of races I do each year. Maybe 5% of my miles are on the race bike, with maybe 20% on a road bike and 75% on the old Fuji tri bike on the trainer.

My question is whether doing all those miles on the race bike on the trainer would cause uneven wear on the chain so that it doesn't mesh with my race wheel's cassette when I put it on the bike for a race.

The trainer's cassette is still in good shape, but if I put the race bike on the trainer, will the long-term wear on the chain make it not fit my race wheel as well?

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: what bike do you use on your trainer? [JStirfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JStirfry wrote:

They live there now and it is their happy place. I have them all setup with tables, water bottles, computers, towels, mats (sweat like a pig), etc. and it's annoying to switch them out.

Yeah, my minivan just turned 10. Every once in a while I get in a 'new' car and think 'woah, check out all these features.'

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
90% of the reason I brought a kickr last fall was so I could put my tt bike on it for the winter. From my few (four total) outdoor rides this year, I can already tell it was a good move. When tri season ends I'll put my road bike on to more closely replicate my CX bike position.

Quote Reply
Re: what bike do you use on your trainer? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
JStirfry wrote:

Yeah, my minivan just turned 10. Every once in a while I get in a 'new' car and think 'woah, check out all these features.'

sometimes these new features suck. I'm on my 4th care in my lifetime. I'd still be driving my 2003 honda element if I wasn't gifted my father-in laws old car to trade in for a new one. I miss my honda element.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
CCF wrote:
JStirfry wrote:

sometimes these new features suck. I'm on my 4th care in my lifetime. I'd still be driving my 2003 honda element if I wasn't gifted my father-in laws old car to trade in for a new one. I miss my honda element.

There are some features that, quite frankly, worry the crap out of me. Heard an ad on the radio for a car (ford, maybe) that has cruise control that looks out for if the car in front of you is slowing down and will slow down too. OK, sounds nice in theory, but I was always trained to not use cruse control in traffic. This seems like it will encourage drivers to use cruise control in situations where they should be just plain driving. And then, what happens when the driver gets into his other car that doesn't have that "safety feature" and forgets that it doesn't automagically slow down ?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a P5X that is too ugly to ride in public so I keep it on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
CCF wrote:
JStirfry wrote:

4th? Damn man, are you part of the royal family? I'm on my second. :). Not getting one until I was 23 helped with that. Bought that 1998 Civic in 2000, then bought a 2008 van in 2010. I guess I should start looking at 2018s, since I'll probably buy one in 2020.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My road and Tri racing bikes are both BMC's . . . and, for warranty purposes, BMC considers using those bikes on a trainer to be abuse (thus voiding the warranty). So last Fall, I bought an INCREDIBLY ugly neon yellow-green and neon orange NOS Specialized Allez specifically for use on the trainer. The whole bike was cheaper than the price of a good saddle. I have ridden the Allez on the road twice. It's the perfect trainer bike, for me. It's always on the trainer, always ready in case of a sudden thunderstorm.
Quote Reply
Re: what bike do you use on your trainer? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
mickison wrote:
CCF wrote:
JStirfry wrote:

4th? Damn man, are you part of the royal family? I'm on my second. :). Not getting one until I was 23 helped with that. Bought that 1998 Civic in 2000, then bought a 2008 van in 2010. I guess I should start looking at 2018s, since I'll probably buy one in 2020.

I'm one of the lower tier royals. waiting for I have a 2014 subaru forester now. it's too much like a car compared to my old element but gas mileage is better
Quote Reply
Re: what bike do you use on your trainer? [mkserge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is your approach to putting the P3 on to (or taking off from) the Neo. I struggle mightily with it, was thinking about putting a connex connector so I could take the chain on/off with ease to make it better.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: what bike do you use on your trainer? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
What is your approach to putting the P3 on to (or taking off from) the Neo. I struggle mightily with it, was thinking about putting a connex connector so I could take the chain on/off with ease to make it better.

You mean because of the rear facing dropout? I haven't figured out a way yet, I either just remove the axle or tilt it awkwardly.

Google doesn't help me with connex connectors. What is it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest training with the bike you intend to race with.

Now, maybe you can buy two cervelo P5X bikes and have one be the junker on the trainer set up identical to the race bike.

#firstworldproblems

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply

Prev Next