Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
what are your stupid MID-RACE decisions?
Quote | Reply
so at the Musselman half yesterday i just passed this guy, putting me in 4th, coming into T2 about half a mile out. i wasn't able to put a big gap on him in the rest of that time on the bike. so instead of putting my socks on like i would have. i decided i should skip them and save the time.

now i am walking around with bloody/blister covered feet! *

not to mention that dude STILL passed my 3-4 miles into the run.

*note to self; K-swiss KRUUZ are not barefoot friendly shoes!

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: what are your stupid MID-RACE decisions? [twinracer2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel fine, I don't need that second gel. (first duathlon)

I have never tried Heed drink before, so I will just drink nothing through the run. (first duathlon)

I can stick with HER. I should stick with HER. I am going to run with HER. (30 minutes into a 2hr30min race)

Pretty inukshuks. I am going to stop and look at them. Where's my camera? Does anybody else see these inukshuks? Is there anybody else out here with me? Is the race still going on? (AmZof)
Last edited by: Cassie: Jul 12, 10 5:25
Quote Reply
Re: what are your stupid MID-RACE decisions? [Cassie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Inukshuk........ never heard of them.

funny stuff.

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a boulder out in the woods on the AmZof run course that is covered with these things that hikers have made - all about 6" tall. At least I think they are there.... I could have been hallucinating. I turned a corner and there they were. Mr. RD has promised to take a picture and post it for me, next time he is out there running :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
so at the Musselman half yesterday i just passed this guy, putting me in 4th, coming into T2 about half a mile out. i wasn't able to put a big gap on him in the rest of that time on the bike. so instead of putting my socks on like i would have. i decided i should skip them and save the time.

now i am walking around with bloody/blister covered feet! *

not to mention that dude STILL passed my 3-4 miles into the run.

*note to self; K-swiss KRUUZ are not barefoot friendly shoes!

"hey I'm going really fast right now! Lets see how much I can beat my previous average by! WOOAAAHHH I'm coming into T2 2mph faster than a month ago! Let's start running! OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD!!!!"

-Jason
Quote | Reply
1/2 way through the bike leg of my first olympic distance race i come to the bottom of the longest, steepest hill on the course feeling pretty good given the long, slow swim I just muddled through ... a guy on a Cervelo One comes by me and says "nice day for a ride, isn't it?" and stands to crank up the hill. I say "yes it is!" and inspired by his enthusiasm, stand to crank up the hill ... about half way up the mile-long grade i started to get a little dizzy, then see stars, then pull over for a technicolor, projectile smile all over somebody's driveway. Apparently spiking your heartrate on a hot day after you've drunk half the stagnant pond you just swam in is NOT the way to get to the finish line faster ... who knew?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the beginning of a HIM run: "Well, sure I've never run thirteen miles at this heart rate, and my plan was to be about ten beats lower, but I feel GOOD. I can make up time lost fixing that flat tire. And anyway, I'm sure that woman up there can't be faster than me. Just gotta get past her, and then I can probably get into some sort of rhythm here . . . "

Shortly after: "Well, maybe she'll make for a good pace bunny."

Some time later: "Wonder if I'll see her again when I get over the next hill?"

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grabbed my NB flats night before so decision was made before. On a Half I finished bike, put flats on and stareted run. About 4 miles in my left foot started hurting around outside sole. After finishing race I look at inside of flats and find I did not put my insoles in the flats. I left them in my trainer pair.

Re: what are your stupid MID-RACE decisions? [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I did that on a ten mile run once. Was wondering why the laces felt so loose and I was getting blisters.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I skipped the socks at the New Jersey Devilman last year knowing I couldn't really run and didn't want to waste any time. Yeah, that was dumb.

But the biggest mid-race mistake was at Ironman Louisville, when 10 miles in the bike I dropped all 30 of my salt tablets and didn't stop to pick them up. I paid dearly for that one, and almost died after I crossed the finish line.
Quote Reply
Re: what are your stupid MID-RACE decisions? [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'd like to meet the people that have too much money that they don't go back for their Oakleys when they drop them on the bike! i would also like to point out that i have been too caught up in racing to go back and pick them up for myself, so i guess i am not much better. at least I didn't pay for them...

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good friend of mine dropped his Garmin at Eagleman. Pro triathlete TJ Tollakson found it, plugged it into his computer, and mailed it back to him!
Quote Reply
Re: what are your stupid MID-RACE decisions? [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"lucky" guy. good on TJ for doing the right thing! makes me feel good again. of course if i dropped my garmin (and i didnt' see it explode into a million pieces) i would be pulling a U-turn ASAP, not hoping some else does the right thing and mails it back to me.

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
grabbed my NB flats night before so decision was made before. On a Half I finished bike, put flats on and stareted run. About 4 miles in my left foot started hurting around outside sole. After finishing race I look at inside of flats and find I did not put my insoles in the flats. I left them in my trainer pair.

For some strange reason, I always start to favor my flats when I'm tapering or moving into "easier" run weeks. I've been in the same position as you more than once, and fortunately for me I always get a nagging muscle pain or sore foot the day before the race and talk myself out of wearing them. A few weeks ago at tupper lake, I actually put my NB flats alongside my running stuff in T2 with the understanding that I would "see how fresh I feel" coming off the bike. Luckily, freshness was not on the menu that day, and my go-to speedstars were just what I needed. It's inevitable that one of these days I will ignore the warning signs and end up paying the price in spades.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my last race, I was really struggling with HR. My shoes were wet and heavy. I had been running barefoot for a while, so I stopped and pulled my shoes off, and ran the last mile barefoot. HR came down, but I think I should have kept them on. It probably cost me 30 seconds.

Punching cockroaches from day 1.
http://www.tri-junkie.com/
Quote Reply
Re: what are your stupid MID-RACE decisions? [Hounddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinking I'd be okay for the run after taking in all my calories halfway through a HIM bike leg and not taking any gels or gatorade.

Suffered for the first 8 miles of the run.

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A
Quote Reply
Re: what are your stupid MID-RACE decisions? [Skibum232] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you know if you just never wear socks you won't need them in the race right?

downside: your shoes will smell like death, all the time

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lake placid 1999 - going up Keene on the first loop of the bike and heart rate is about 10 beats higher than planned. HR had been the same 10 beats high for the last few days, so i figured i'd just go with it.
second bike loop - maybe that was not such a good idea
first run loop - wow, i am really slow. high HR was definitely a bad idea.
second run loop - it was a very, very, very bad idea.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St. Anthony's this year (which is pancake flat, I think there was a total elevation gain of 2' of something stupid like that)....halfway through the bike course I had been chasing this guy all day and I finally decided that I was close enough that I could get into the draft zone, draft for a second and then take off around him. What I failed to notice was that he was in someone's draft zone already and so as soon as I got into his draft he sped up to make his pass. I looked to my left and there was the marshall so I had no choice...cranked down and flew past him..felt great. Finished the bike and jumped off to head into transition and had no legs left..suffered miserably on the run. When I got home I plugged my joule in and saw that I had hit 900 something watts and 32 mph on the pass on a totally flat course. brilliant move on my part because I toasted my legs a bit on the pass and then finished toasting them staying in front of him for the rest of the ride..dumb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year had major breathing issues while running so my plan for the Oliver HIM was swim/bike/quit. I got off the bike feeling great and decided to run. Felt awesome for the first 1km out of transition then like absolute hell. Decided at that point I couldn't deal with the shame of having to backtrack along the course after dropping out and that I'd do the first 10km loop and quit.

Got to the turn around in tears, my brain wasn't functioning and I approached an official about dropping out. One of the coaches from my club (who didn't know this was a training race for me) appeared out of nowhere and gave me a rousing "Never give up, never surrender" speech in front of what felt like 2,000 spectators and I was so embarassed I took off and did the second loop. To rousing applause from the crowd. The last 10km were hell, I was far more miserable at the end than I would have been with a DNF and it took a week for my lungs to recover.
Quote Reply
Re: what are your stupid MID-RACE decisions? [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no that sounds like a bad day, and it all started with that one bad decision of leaving t2....

i remember another bad decision i had at my first triathlon i ever did. it was an oly dist. i thought "i used to swim in highschool, how hard could a swim in a triathlon be?" well it turns out the water was very choppy and cold. pair that up with my first OWS and my first wetsuit swim. panic attack, trouble breathing followed all by sea sickness with vomiting in T1. i was hooked!

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: what are your stupid MID-RACE decisions? [djciii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
St. Anthony's this year (which is pancake flat, I think there was a total elevation gain of 2' of something stupid like that)....halfway through the bike course I had been chasing this guy all day and I finally decided that I was close enough that I could get into the draft zone, draft for a second and then take off around him. What I failed to notice was that he was in someone's draft zone already and so as soon as I got into his draft he sped up to make his pass. I looked to my left and there was the marshall so I had no choice...cranked down and flew past him..felt great. Finished the bike and jumped off to head into transition and had no legs left..suffered miserably on the run. When I got home I plugged my joule in and saw that I had hit 900 something watts and 32 mph on the pass on a totally flat course. brilliant move on my part because I toasted my legs a bit on the pass and then finished toasting them staying in front of him for the rest of the ride..dumb

Did he pass you on the run?

Quote | Reply
I think everyone passed me on the run. It was a huge mistake but I am sure I had the biggest power number of the day. There is always that.
Quote Reply
Re: what are your stupid MID-RACE decisions? [djciii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like me also I counted around ten in my AG alone that passed me in philly on the run.

Quote | Reply
"Wow these guys are usually MUCH better swimmers than me! I wonder if I can hang on their feet the whole rest of the way?!?"

I did.

While they were running their bikes to the T1 exit, I was still puking into a hedge.

Ben Schorr
http://www.twitter.com/hitriguy
Then: Hawaii 70.3 (2009, 2010), Longhorn 70.3 (10/17/2010), IM Texas (5/21/11)
Now: IM Arizona (11/20/2011)
Quote Reply

Prev Next