Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

weight lifting weirdness
Quote | Reply
So I've been ramping up my weight lifting for the last 6 weeks or so, and I'm starting to feel pretty good with it. Strangest thing though, last night I put 20 more pounds onto my bench press, and figured it would hurt like hell. But rather than hurt, there was this sort of numbness. I got through 5 reps, and I didn't feel pain, but instead it was more like the engine just switched off completely and I knew if I'd tried for a 6th I would have wound up stuck in my garage with a heavy bar on my chest. And how dreary would that be!

Anyway, what the hell is that? I expect there to be pain that I can push through. Physical torture that I can endure in order to push one more rep, not some weird malaise that simply shuts down the engine. Any weight lifter types out there familiar with this phenomenon?
Quote Reply
Re: weight lifting weirdness [Sleestack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's called knowing when you've done your last rep. Congrats. You're maturing as a lifter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: weight lifting weirdness [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, lifting to failure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do more squats.

Quote | Reply
Your bench is too high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking from experience, this is easily resolved without the need for a spotter. Always leave the collars off when doing benches. Use more weight than is reasonably safe. Always do one more rep than humanly possible. When the bar begins to crush the life out of you, simply tilt the bar to one side and let the weights crash to the floor. Be careful, the bar will quickly move to the opposite side, and empty the remaining weights. Remove all children & pets from the area prior to attempting this advanced training technique.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So I've been ramping up my weight lifting for the last 6 weeks or so, and I'm starting to feel pretty good with it. Strangest thing though, last night I put 20 more pounds onto my bench press, and figured it would hurt like hell. But rather than hurt, there was this sort of numbness. I got through 5 reps, and I didn't feel pain, but instead it was more like the engine just switched off completely and I knew if I'd tried for a 6th I would have wound up stuck in my garage with a heavy bar on my chest. And how dreary would that be!

Anyway, what the hell is that? I expect there to be pain that I can push through. Physical torture that I can endure in order to push one more rep, not some weird malaise that simply shuts down the engine. Any weight lifter types out there familiar with this phenomenon?
Low reps like that never *hurt* but rather are just hard to do. It's called failure. Learn to avoid it.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: weight lifting weirdness [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nothing wrong with going to failure.
Quote Reply