Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

wait - Kona ISN'T this weekend? One confused Canadian.
Quote | Reply
I have always relied on The Kona falling on the same weekend as our super-early Canadian Thanksgiving (I had set a few hours aside tomorrow to watch the run while transitioning to the trainer, but I guess that's off). Is this then first time the two have decoupled? And now that it's on my mind, what are the criteria for establishing what day each falls on the calendar?
Quote Reply
Re: wait - Kona ISN'T this weekend? One confused Canadian. [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s next weekend. At one point didn’t it follow the full moon so it was a different weekend every year? But then they changed it to the second weekend of October which lasted up until Covid. Last year it was the first weekend of October and now year it’s the second weekend, so who the hell knows.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: wait - Kona ISN'T this weekend? One confused Canadian. [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one-day event Ironman Kona has, at least in recent times, been held on the second Saturday of October. That was also true of the men's race last year (which was held on October 8th), with the women's race being held on Thursday (October 6th).

The thing that always confuses me is that the Chicago Marathon has, for about the last 15 years, been held on the second Sunday of October. That means that it and IM Kona are usually (but not always) on the same weekend. I'm always thrown off when, as it is this year, they wind up being on consecutive weekends. I knew Chicago was this weekend, so until I checked a couple of weeks ago I had been assuming Kona was, too.

Wikipedia tells me that Canadian Thanksgiving is held the second Monday in October, which means that it's in the same boat as the Chicago Marathon. Most years it will match up with Kona, but not always.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was this weekend to be fair.
Quote Reply
Re: wait - Kona ISN'T this weekend? One confused Canadian. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, here I am gearing up to watch the coverage, then i see this thread and was confused.

ITS NEXT WEEK! I did not realize this

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know Kona is always a two-week build, right?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always relied on The Kona falling on the same weekend as our super-early Canadian Thanksgiving (I had set a few hours aside tomorrow to watch the run while transitioning to the trainer, but I guess that's off). Is this then first time the two have decoupled? And now that it's on my mind, what are the criteria for establishing what day each falls on the calendar?

Dave,

Up until last week, I was under the same impression - because for the longest time, IMWC had always been on the Canadian Thanksgiving Holiday Long Weekend. I know this, because for many, many years - I was never home for Thanksgiving. But they seemed to have pushed it a week later now.

Glad I was not the only one out-to-lunch on this. :-)

We'll not be there this year. My wife raced for a few years in the Pro race. Then I had bits of work there in Kona during Race Week - Emceeing work and Sales Work for some Clients, and my wife had Athletes she was Coaching Racing. With the changes now, not sure if we will be back for the Race in the near future. Kind of the end of an era for me/us - I first went to Kona to do the race in 1989 myself - the Famous Iron War year!

I wishes the Women the best. It's cool they have the Kona Coast all to themselves!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply