Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

variation on wheel question
Quote | Reply
I have searched and understand the aero benefits and differences of stock wheels vs aero wheels. My question is a little different and I cant seem to find a good answer, so I apologize if it is here somewhere already and in another post.

Taking the aero benefit out of it, when upgrading wheels, for example to a set of Zipp 404, not the deepest, but not stock either. Are you gettting a tangible benefit in terms of effort saved or added mph at your same "normal" effort? I hope this makes sense.

I am not yet fast enough to need the 3-5 minutes over the course (although anything is nice to have), but would not mind having more enegery going into the run.
Quote Reply
Re: variation on wheel question [Sleepyluke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sleepyluke wrote:
Are you gettting a tangible benefit in terms of effort saved or added mph at your same "normal" effort?

Yes. Otherwise, why buy an aero tri bike, aero helmet, or aero wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: variation on wheel question [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Sleepyluke wrote:
Are you gettting a tangible benefit in terms of effort saved or added mph at your same "normal" effort?

Yes. Otherwise, why buy an aero tri bike, aero helmet, or aero wheels?

But he said, "taking aero out of it", I would go with no. Any improvement in rolling resistance would be negligible and they might even be a little heavier than stock wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: variation on wheel question [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops, I misread. My bad. In that case, I would say no also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you take the aero out of it?
Quote Reply
Re: variation on wheel question [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooh, I do see a case where you do get a small tangible benefit: If you currently own a narrow set of rims that are either tubulars or not tubeless ready and want to switch to the fastest tire, the Vittoria Corsa Speed open TLR. In this case, the decrease in rolling resistance would be significant.
Quote Reply
Re: variation on wheel question [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can put latex tubes in those tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are the answers I was looking for but was not finding the right words to use.

I have read until my eyes bug out on the aero benefits and $ vs time savings of wheels, helmets and other aero gadgets.

My thought was toward better/stiffer/smoother hubs, etc that may make a noticable difference as well.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hubs I look at in terms of reliability and longevity not rolling resistance. A hub won't affect wheel stiffness appreciably outside of the bracing angle of the spokes. Aero is what you are after.
Quote Reply