Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tubular question (replacing after a tape job)
Quote | Reply
got a set of 404s that had brand new tires but one had a faulty valve that leaked. when i pulled the tire off, i realized that it was taped on (or at least i think it was). can i reuse the same tire by gluing it on? how much of the glue should i remove from the tire and rim before gluing it?

i searched the archives for over an hour but only found one comment that said a taped tire is trashed and not reuseable. hoping that's not necessarily true.

right now the residual tape is coming off the tire much easier than the rim.

any help would be appreciated since i have a race on sunday and would like to use them.

thanks,
dave
Last edited by: DC: Sep 23, 05 17:07
Quote Reply
Re: tubular question (replacing after a tape job) [DC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bumpitty bump bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd try to get the tape off.

what do you mean, you think it's taped? I think it's pretty obvious if it's taped. Are you looking at the base tape or glue tape (Tufo, etc.)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: frogonawire: Sep 23, 05 17:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure about the tape removal, but have 3 tires that could be reused if it weren't for the tape. The tape has left a strange residue on the base tape that makes me wonder if it actually did something to the coating that was originally on the basetape (Vittoria). This is more so the case where I used the extreme tape. Cleaning the tape residue is more than just carefully peeling the tufo tape off. It seems you'd technically need to remove the residue with some kind of cleaner/solvent, but that would probably mess up the base tape.

Here's my thought. Someone posted a link to a place that will fix your punctured tubulars for about $20 and install new basetape in the process. You could probably send them your tires with the tufo tape issue and just have them install new basetape. They would not even need to replace your tube.

If you try this post your feedback on results. I'm sitting on the fence about this. If my used tires were virtually new, I would have already tried it, but mine are a little borderline to invest in and expect to race on.

Here the link: http://www.tirealert.com/

**** Correction: They can just replace your basetape for $8 ****
Last edited by: tospin: Sep 23, 05 19:13
Quote Reply