Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

trico ironcase + lock
Quote | Reply
 Is there any way to lock the Trico Ironcase for airline travel? Or is this something I shouldn't worry about? Just makes me nervous putting all the expensive equipment in the case unlocked, but then again a lock might only complicate things with security. Thoughts anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: trico ironcase + lock [slugchowder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ironcase can be locked with a couple of small padlocks on either end. Normally, it shouldn't be a problem to lock the case for airline security, but you'll have to wait while the screeners do their thing.

Do not fly with CO2 cartridges. If they see them on the Xray, then you'll spend an eternity unpacking, removing the offending items, and repacking the case.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: trico ironcase + lock [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I didn't know that about CO2 catridges being a problem. So should I not take them at all and buy them at the race site or what? I can't have them in any checked baggage?

With the bike case, did you drill holes in the ends to accomodate the locks? Thanks.

(use code #48352 for 15% off your first order)
*Feel free to PM me with any specific questions about Hammer products*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't take the CO2 cartridges at all. Aside from the hassle, they can also charge you up to $10,000.

The trico case will take a small lock at the end through the metal piece (I don't have one here at work to look at, so can't recall off the top of my head).

That said, I've given up locking mine due to security issues, but it mostly just has the bike in it.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will ask you to unlock it when you check it anyway. I suppose at some airports you might be able to re-lock if the security check is done right where you check in luggage. But oversize stuff is often done elsewhere and you probably can't.
Last edited by: gonzobob: Jun 23, 04 10:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I didn't know that about CO2 catridges being a problem. So should I not take them at all and buy them at the race site or what? I can't have them in any checked baggage?

You can't bring them on the plane at all.
Last edited by: gonzobob: Jun 23, 04 9:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned before a padlock is designed to fit the case. However, in this day and age, locking the case is probably a bad thing. What I would (and do) do is use a zip tie.

I was informed that the security people can cut off a lock and do nothing to replace it, but if you use a zip tie, they are obligated to replace it with a TSA ziptie when they finish chekcing it.

I zip tie the zip pullers on my regular luggage, and after each check it's been replaced in this way.

Cheers,

J.
Quote Reply
Re: trico ironcase + lock [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great Idea. Know any Internet stores that sell zip ties, btw? I have no idea where to buy extras.

One other thing regarding the Trico case: mine always results in a positive test for plastic explosives on those stupid little machines the small airports use. Major pain, as they then hand-check your luggage and YOU cannot touch anything when they re-pack it (imagine all those carefully-packed parts around a carbon fiber frame being rearranged by a minimum wage kid with a bad attitude who thinks you are trying to blow up the plane). Major irritation.

Solution: Why the heck not UPS your bike beforehand? That's a big selling point of Trico anyway--it's UPS-able. But use zip ties, in case they need to search it like w/ mine...
Quote Reply
Re: trico ironcase + lock [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The metal pieces with the eyelets for locking are so flimsily made and welded to the case that they fell off my case within two uses. So I gave up on locking it pretty early in the game.

Other than that I've been pretty pleased with my Iron Case through six years of use, as far as the size and protective functions of it are concerned. I do wish it were easier to tow around, though. My demi-solution is to put it on a dolly that attaches with a bungee. It rolls much better that way.

Aeromon (Aerobic Monster) - Pokomon's evil endurance junkie twin
Quote Reply
Re: trico ironcase + lock [Aeromon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I realize they say you can't fly with CO2 cartridges, but I have always left them in my bike bag (in my bike box) and I've never had a problem. As far as packing your bike, I used to cram a lot of stuff in with mine which made it harder to close. I had to get everything just right. Now that I know some security idiot may be rifling through it and re-closing it I just pack my bike and maybe my shoes and a few tools. I want it to be very easy for them to get it closed so nothing gets damaged if they go through it. I don't bother locking it anymore either. Overall, I'm happy with my Ironcase. I've also loaned it out to friends many times and they've never complained.
Quote Reply
Re: trico ironcase + lock [triwz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a year or so ago I read where a pro mtn biker was arrested and faced lots of legal hassle, including a rather large fine, for having co2 in his possession while going for a plane ride.

and I wouldn't lock my bike case, either. not unless you want the airport securty/handlers/? to open it and go through it. last fall I flew to az and put one of those 10 cent locks on my suitcase. they removed it, rifled my suitcase, and left me a friendly 8-1/2x11 memo telling me you can't lock your luggage. on a dozen trips, I've never had anyone bother my bike case. I usually just tell the skycap, "its a bicycle," and that's satisfies them.
Quote Reply