Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

trek speed concept what "stems" come with?
Quote | Reply
my buddy just emailed me and said he pulled the plug on a new 9.5. he wants me to get him fit up on the bike. i really wish i knew he was doing this BEFORE he ordered it, but it is what it is. silly roadies wanting TT bikes! (or lawyers with too much $$$)

so, i sorta remember someone saying they come with two "stems"? is that still/ever true?

i am thinking (hoping) he ordered a small as he is short both torso and legs.

thanks.

p.s. i will post a picture of him when he is setup for ST approval/denial. or just to make fun of his dispropotionately large quads!

Tim

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: trek speed concept what "stems" come with? [twinracer2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure the stock stem is the 60x45 - that's what my 9.5 came with.

I think if you go the P1 route you can get whatever stem you want.

Stems are about $199 MSRP.

For the most part the stock stem should allow you to get your pal into a good TT position, but his pursuit postion may be bad - depending on his size and what size frame he got.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 9.5 small came with a 60/45 and I believe that is the norm.
Quote Reply
Re: trek speed concept what "stems" come with? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks guys! (or gals, i didn't look)

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it has changed since the launch and the initial shipments of bikes, as we realized which ones seemed to make more sense in how people were using them.

the current OE stem by size for stock bikes is up to date in the frame stack & reach database here on Slowtwitch.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: trek speed concept what "stems" come with? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

you really do make a good name for Trek, ask for a raise!

Tim

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, but what are the stem sizes for the women's bikes? I ordered a 100/45 to replace the current stem. I got it in today and it seems like I can measure those dimensions, 100/45. However, when I use the same method to measure the stem I took off, which came from a medium WSD, I come up with 75/40, but the fit chart doesn't show a stem near those dimensions.

Reason I ask is I'd like to sell the stem and I would like to make sure I'm advertising the correct stem size.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: trek speed concept what "stems" come with? [AeroEgg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AFAIK - the WSD is only a color difference and saddle difference. No functional differences between the bikes at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stem specs don't change for WSD.

To figure out which one you have and what you ordered, the stems are pictured in order of size from left to right at the Bontrager site:

50/10 100/10 60/45 100/45 80/75 110/75

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl, Santania,

It looks like the stem is a 60/45. So the male Speed Concept medium originally came with a 60/45 stem? If true, I’m very surprised by that, I can’t imagine too many males who fit on a medium frame would be good with that stem, it seems way too cramped. I can see that for the medium WSD. Obviously y’all have adjusted your way of thinking since the OEM stem for mediums is now 100/45, per your statement above and the chart you provided.

But...that leaves us who bought the earlier Speed Concepts having to shell out an extra $200 – is there any way Trek would be willing to give us, say Bontrager/Trek store credit for that amount if we turned in the 60/45 stem? J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good question. Wish I had an easy answer, but this kind of thing is probably best handled between the LBS and their rep.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is kind of a personal thing, but since the basebar reach is a little long, I thought the 60/45 was a good standard spec.

Carl, I'd still love to see a 80/30!
Quote Reply
Re: trek speed concept what "stems" come with? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I wish there was a stem size that fell in the middle of 100/10 and 60/45 range but after examining both stems I realized it can't be done. The nut / bolt holes for the base bar and the nut / bolt holes for the fork (where the stem attaches) would fall in the exact same spot of the stem. Of course Trek could make some adjustment fore or aft to make it possible but doing so would still result in the holes for the bar and fork to be too close to each other and compromise the stem strength. We are stuck with the stem options right now - at least for the more popular 100/10 and 60/45 sizes and will just have to make do with either of them.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply