Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

travle case
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to get a travel case to take my bike to europe with this summer. Anyone have any experience with the "TEAM BIKE TRANSPORTATION" case from nashbar?

http://www.nashbar.com/...t%3A%20Travel%20Case
Quote Reply
Re: travle case [xc101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no experience with that case. But I checked out the description and here are my thoughts: I use an Iron case and fly with it about 6 times a year. The Ironcase seems to be the most popular "style" due to its dimensions; other size cases allow you to leave seats and pedals on, but you pay a big price in size. The Nashbar case seems fine but it seems to have a few limitations: The Ironcase has three pads inside, two against the walls of the case and one between your bike and the wheels (the final "sandwich" layers look llike: case-pad-frame-pad-wheels-pad-case). The Nashbar description seems to say that there are only two layers of padding. While you could make do with only outside pads, and create makeshift pads for where the frame and parts hit the wheels, I think middle pad of the Ironcase is pretty important because it allows you to pack easier and more securely. The sloped corners of the Nashbar case seem pointless because you can stuff thinks in the case at those corners while the sloping will not reduce your shipping charges. Lots of people only use their cases once and then have them lying around and are happy to sell them cheap, loan them out or given them away. I think you can get a nearly new Iron case for the $200 that Nashbar will charge. Or you can rent one or find one from someone in your area. Again, the Nashbar case seems fine, but there are other options that are probably just as good and maybe cheaper.
Quote Reply