Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

traveling with race wheels
Quote | Reply
what has worked for people regarding traveling with race wheels if you opt not to take a bikecase. seeing how my bikes have been damaged in their hardcases by the airline gorillas, i don't trust checking my wheels in their soft wheel bags. suggestions?

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: traveling with race wheels [InsideTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one of those triall3 hard case wheel cases. I used it when I travelled to Cancun for Worlds in 02. It carries 3 wheels & one can pack other soft clothes etc (in clear bags to avoid TSA having to tear them apart) to fill in space behind. They are considered a regular piece of luggage so it you are traveling by ones self that would count as 1 of your 2 checked bags. I've also dones the same when travelling to IMH.

Barb
Quote Reply
Re: traveling with race wheels [InsideTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you want to be safe: hard case -- checked. or, ship them ahead of time via UPS/FedEx.

someone will undoubtedly suggest you "just carry them on." it ain't that easy though. #1 you gotta get past TSA and they may or may not give you a really hard time about not being able to put them thru the x-ray (depends on the size of the opening). #2 you better hope for a gate agent and flight attendants who either aren't aware that you're stashing them in the coat closet or are willing to accomodate. otherwise, you could be forced to gate check them which would really suck. carrying on wheels is a huge YMMV.
Quote Reply