Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

training in New York
Quote | Reply
sorry i've posted on this topic before but i can't find the replies anymore...

will be moving to NYC at the end of the month from Manila. i'll be living/working in the Washington Heights area. are there any good places to train close by? i'm particularly concerned about finding an indoor pool.

also, what are your suggestions on cold weather training clothes (biking and running, i.e. what are the essentials)? will it actually still be very cold around the end of Feb/early March?

lastly...any Filipino triathletes in the area? i'd love to hook up!

Kim
Quote Reply
Re: training in New York [dockimpoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are going to be next door to the best indoor pool in the city. Riverbank State Park at 138th & Riverside Drive is 50 meters, 8 wide lanes, not very crowded, and only $2 per swim. If they could get the hot water to work in the showers it would be even better! The water temp is usually a little on the cool side when you first get in, but it feels fine once you start moving.

Yes, you'll still get cold days in late Feb. Some suggestions:
Neoprene booties and Lobster gloves for the bike; balaclava optional
Windproof/water resistant shell for cycling and running
Heavyweight and midweight tights for cycling and running
Winter-weight jersey for cycling

Lee Silverman
JackRabbit Sports
Park Slope, Brooklyn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arland Macasieb lives just outside NYC in north NJ. He's a professional triathlete. I think he just won nationals in the Philippines. http://www.arlandmacasieb.com/

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: training in New York [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks Lee! do you sell cycling apparel at your store too?
Quote Reply
Re: training in New York [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arland's a good friend. yes he did win nationals recently. will definitely be training with him a lot. are you Filipino too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm Arland's brother from a different mother, but not Filipino. Come with Arland to train in the Catskill Mountains this spring.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also in NYC you will find many cyclists, runners and swimmers. Like someone said above rivebank probably is the nicest pool. Though they almost never open it to 50m and split it to 25yards. It can also get pretty crowded. To get the showers to be hot try another and let it run. Some work better than others.

Most people ride across the George Washington Bridge and cycle in Jersey/"Upstate" NY. Lots of cyclists out on weekends and since you will be near the brideg it will be easy for you to get a ride in the evening in the summer with daylight. For me it is 10 miles to the bridge so it is almost always dark on the ride home on after work rides.

There is a pretty competitive running club scene in NYC as well. Depending on your talent level you may want to choose wisely. I have found some to be more serious than others and faster.

Good Luck and it will still be pretty cold for you through April.

JW (on the comback trail)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're also near the 168th St Armory -
Ft. Washington and 168 St.

Maybe the best indoor track in the USA.

for a nominal fee you can train evenings. don't know schedule.

Also some masters races in evening. varied distances

Just to add emphasis - cycling over GW Bridge and up 9W and River road is best area to cycle in the city.
You're right there.

On the negative side, if you didn't know, to get downtown from Wash Hts. you take the A train. Last week there was a fire that destroyed signal equipment for the A line. Bad delays will exist for at least 6 months.

Welcome to NYC.
Despite the problems, like with the A train, NYC is the best. It can't be beat and if you're used to traffic in Manila, New York will be a breeze.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the end of Feb, early March it will be in the 40's or better.
For running a pair of tights , a running jacket, gloves and a hat will do.

for riding I have an Assos Air Block jacket and have found it's been more than worth the cost.

It's good up to 50 degrees.
In mid to high 40;'s I wear light shirt underneath.

Colder, I wear 1 or 2 Craft long sleeve undershirts.
One has wind block front. Use this one on colder days.

Also need good gloves,and booties.

Under 50 I wear running pants over bib shorts.

When it gets over 50 I wear leg warmers,

You probably don't have any of this stuff, living in Manila.

For this year I would get good running jacket and pants and good running top like Hind DryLete or similar things.

By March you can probably cycle in jersey over Hind top.
And on colder days put running pants over cycling shorts.

Leg warmers aren't too costly and will be good

Need gloves for running and cycling.

I also wear a headband that covers my ears under helmet. find this warm enough even under 30 degrees and fits better than full hat under helmet.

Hope this helps some
Quote Reply
Re: training in New York [Mike Green] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to Mike et al. thanks for the replies! can't wait to get there.

Mike, where's the best place to buy cycling and running clothes?

Kim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dock & all,

We have an extensive collection of tri gear in the shop. We also sell cycling clothing, but I'll be the first to admit that we don't have the most extensive selection around. We have essentials at reasonable prices: shorts, tights, jerseys, gloves, booties, helmets, etc, from Pearl Izumi, Sugoi, Giro & others. Probably the best selection in the area for clothing is at Piermont Cycling, which is a mile or two off 9W over the GW Bridge, about halfway to Nyack. Not only do they have more space than most of the shops in NYC, they also do a big mail-order business in clothing, which lets them carry some more ecclectic pieces & higher-end lines.

This week all or our cycling & tri clothing in stock is 30% off, and it's tax free week so you save an additional 8.625%. We're clearing out our inventory of last year's Sugoi, Hind, & Pearl Izumi cycling stuff and DeSoto, Sugoi, & Tyr tri gear. We also have wetsuits from Orca & DeSoto at 50% off (but unfortunately they don't fit the tax free guidelines.) Pearl Izumi red label jackets are also 50% off.

This spring we'll be getting some new lines of cycling & tri gear, updated wetsuits from Orca & the new DeSoto wetsuits, cycling shoes in regular & wide widths from Sidi, and a ton of other great stuff.

In addition, all our running shoes & clothing is 15% off, with clearance shoes 25%-50% off.

Lee Silverman
JackRabbit Sports
Park Slope, Brooklyn
Quote Reply
Re: training in New York [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks again Lee. i hope you're still on sale at the end of Feb!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kim-

Welcome to NY.
My parents are Flips.
I hope you like running in cold weather.

I was in Manila in 2000.....I'll never forget running there.
I think I lost an average of 5 lbs of water weight from sweating so much in the heat and humidity.Perfect place to train for Kona!

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! I've seen him on the Spinervals Big Gear Strength video a hundred times - never realizing just how good he is! Congrats to him!!!

In fact, there have been plenty of early mornings when (obviously in a trainer-induced stupor) I've thought to myself, "I can keep up with him..."). Boy, was I wrong!!! That trainer can play evil tricks on your mind......
Quote Reply
Re: training in New York [tryemdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're ever looking for a coach, Arland's a good one. Check out his website at www.arlandmacasieb.com

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks.....something to keep in mind!

Can I assume that you'll be once again whizzing past me at the Bronx and Queens Duathlons this year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about whizzing past, but in 2005 I'll be racing less, and focusing on the powerman series and worlds. Unfortunately, those races conflict with the NYTC schedule, so chances are I won't be at Bronx or Queens this year. I do, however, encourage anyone reading this that can race Bronx or Queens, to do so. They're both great races. I'll be at Lake Placid, if that's on your schedule. Have a great season.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with your season!

I was bummed about the cancellation of that new "Empireman" event. Do you have any word on whether or not it's going to happen in 2006?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck to you as well. Empireman is planned for 2006. In the meantime, in addition to Bronx and Queens, NYTC's Trooper Du on 5/1 is awesome, as well as the Harriman races and Hudson Valley tri/du. So, who are you?

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Name's Dan DeMaio. You gave me some good advice re: last years races. I had recently moved back to the area. I actually first did the Queens Biathlon way back in the late eighties/early nineties, but had been living out of state for several years.

I'm thinking of doing a Harriman race in August, just can't decide on the Du or Tri - I'll see where my swimming's at!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get to Brooklyn much so I haven't checked out JackRabbit.
In Manhattan for running stuff Super Runners good.
Several stores, 77th and amsterdam might be closest. I go out of my way to see Mike at 72nd and 3rd.

For cycling Conrad's carries the best of everything. All the Assos you can afford. Toga and Renaissance on the west side also have good selection of clothes. Many other very good bike stores. Right over the bridge in Jersey which is close to you is Strictly Bicycles. Never been there but supposed to be good. Maybe closest to you

Paragon, a huge all purpose sporting goods store at 18th and Bway has good selection of running clothes, okay cycling clothes.

for tri specific stuff and also some cycling and running specific check out SBR. They are in the process of moving to 58th and 7th, right near Central Park. Will be very special store including Endless Pool. Dan gave them excellent review. FIST certified. Carry good, soon to be great selection of Tri bikes Rent race wheels.
Quote Reply