Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

trainers and fixed-gear
Quote | Reply
so i've got this fixie that i ride as my commuter bike. its great, but right now, I live in the flatlands. in a few weeks I am move to a place where there are hills and am worried i wont be able to ride it much anymore. the upside is that i am hoping to have to spend little time on the trainer this winter due to warmer weather. is it a bad idea for me to put the fixie on the trainer?

Partially-Hydrogenated
Quote Reply
Re: trainers and fixed-gear [Veggie Terror] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been riding a fixie on the trainer for about 10 years now. However, I only ride it on recovery days(or after weightligting) with very little resisitance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fixed gear in hilly terrain is not that bad if you are discreet about your gear choices, alot of fun even, but as for the trainer, why not? If you can alter the resistance by some other way besides shifting gears, just like most trainers these days, then it shouldn't be any trouble at all.

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The real challenge is riding your fixie on your rollers. The main issue with the fixie indoors is finding an appropriate gearing for your workout.
Quote Reply
Re: trainers and fixed-gear [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right now the gearing is setup as 42x15 I think? I have 48 & 50t chainrings and I have a 17t cog too. The levels of resistance on my trainer are pretty lame. so, considering that the current setup of 42x15 works for me pretty well, should I switch to the 48 for the trainer? Maybe I should just leave it to trial and error and ditch it if it becomes a total pain in the ass.
as far as usage of the bike on the hills, i am more concerned about having enough legs to make it down the other side once i get up.

Partially-Hydrogenated
Quote Reply