Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

too much macho strikes again
Quote | Reply
My macho struck again. I recently got a new bike with DA 10 speed. I had a 9 speed, 650 wheel, 11/23, 53/39 set up before. Letting my macho get the best of me I figured that I should go to a 54/42, most likely I even puffed out my chest when I ordered it. Whoops, I was wrong. The 42-23 is kicking my A#$%^ on the hills. My cadence is in the low 50's and I think a 70 year old lady on a trike blew by me on a hill the other day. I do use the 54-11 on long down hills, few and far between. So here is my question....

Should I go to a 12/25 or break down and go to a 39 chain ring? My only thought is if I get stronger, I would be able to spin the 42-23 up a hill, so I am leaning towards the 12/25. I believe the 39-23 and the 42-23 are the same ratio

Thanks for the help.

ex-macho man!
Quote Reply
Re: too much macho strikes again [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you come up with a rational and logical argument for choosing a 42 little ring over a 39?

That should give you your answer. The important thing is how fast you get up the hill and how much doing so takes out of you.

(Even compact seems to make a hell of a lot more sense than the 39, IMO)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buddy of mine has a 38 on the inside and loves it. Why not just stick an 11 in back and go 53/38?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My cadence is in the low 50's and I think a 70 year old lady on a trike blew by me on a hill the other day. I do use the 54-11 on long down hills, few and far between. So here is my question....

Should I go to a 12/25 or break down and go to a 39 chain ring? My only thought is if I get stronger, I would be able to spin the 42-23 up a hill, Thanks for the help.

Based on my experience , if you are grinding uphill at a cadence of 50ish, unless you have some major "getting stronger" you will never be able to spin a 42 little ring up hill. So the recommendation would be to go with the 39 little ring AND the 12/25. Then you could spin up the hill. If you get strong enough that the 25 is too big, put the 11/23 back on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I dig a cadence of 50. But if you want to be at say 70rpm, then you're going to need a 38 AND a bigger cassette -- like a 27, not even a 25.

There's no shame in running a 27 in the rear. The Campy 29 is pushing it, though.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply