Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: today is my last day.. [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My boyfriend's mother got a spot on her lungs. While she was in the hospital having the lobe removed, we cleaned her house and furniture with his steam cleaner, cleaned the drapes etc... The tank just kept filling up with gray water. Cleaned the carpet 3x! She said that the lack of the cigarette smell in the house really helped to curb her cravings. It is much more pleasant when non-smokers visit now as well.
Quote Reply
Re: today is my last day.. [lam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the very first morning, tanker rounded up all the ashtrays in the house, dumped them out and washed them thoroughly. they got packed into a box to be donated to value village or goodwill, and when the garbage went out to the curb on monday night, the last of the ash was gone from the house.

i haven't really noticed any odors since then, though i am looking forward to the beautiful weather they're predicting for this weekend so we can open the windows and air out the house! 3 kitties can make things pretty stale all on their own after a long winter..

eventually we'll get around to washing the tar off the walls and windows, and the carpet has needed a steam cleaning for awhile (we throw some pretty rowdy parties)...the car also needs a good interior scrubbing!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I gotta say that this thread has me not smoking either, two days now and not an urge. I have puffed on two swisher sweets throughout the days, (normal, get your head out of the gutter or rather out of the clouds), one yesterday and one today but not eight to ten cigs per day. Thanks Missy!

Quote | Reply
good for you! :) i will mention that the cigarello still puts nicotine into your bloodstream, so the addiction cycle does continue...tanker had to give away his last 2 backwoods to ensure he wouldn't fall into the cigar trap (he's worse than most people as he inhales the smoke from them like a cigarette)..

definitely a good step forward, though! :D

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
You're doing a good thing & inspiring others. You're doing it a really strong way, too. See? Stubborn can sometimes really be a good thing! In all seriousness though, I'm super impressed & proud of you.

My mom quit using Chantix 3 or 4 years ago - <6wks & she was done, but it started with her mentally being "ready" like you were. Since has turned into a militant anti-smoking chick, hates the sight, the smell, the whole deal. Dad still smokes...makes for some entertaining moments. But she doesn't "want" or crave anymore - she got to the same point you did, she was just sick of the act & of being controlled. He hasn't decided he wants to yet & doesn't know if he ever will. Drives her nuts, but he annoys her too so it's all even. Good on you two for doing it together.

Use the annoying ones on here as motivation. I know it's not important to you (another great sign) but it's good for any seriously weak moments. Prove them all wrong. I don't think you'll need my words of encouragement though....

AW
Quote Reply
Re: today is my last day.. [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for that! whether i need it or not, i do appreciate the encouragement :)

one of the best things i've ever experienced in my entire life was being able to tell my mum and dad yesterday, when they came out to our place to take us out for easter lunch, that "i was going to buy you some easter flowers, but thought you might like this present better"...then said that we'd smoked the last cigarette we ever intend to 8 days previously. the look on their faces was something i'll treasure forever! :D

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Wow, you are doing so great! I had a mini meltdown about 2 weeks after quitting so if that happens to you just know you can get through it and that any discomfort or distress is temporary. Congratulations to you on kicking butts!
Quote Reply
Re: today is my last day.. [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks a bunch! :)

i think the closest i've had to a craving was friday - i met tanker at a tim hortons at the halfway point of my first outdoor ride of the year on my TT bike (had only had the MTB outside), and a gentleman was standing right by us outside having a smoke while tanker drank his coffee and i sipped on water. we talked about it later, and we both had a moment of "hmm.." there, but we both recognized it for what it was; the habit of having a smoke after something that gets your blood pumping (tanker was on his motorcycle), and nothing more.

in getting the bike ready for the first outdoor ride, i finally remembered one of the last things i needed to do to confirm myself as a non-smoker - i took the mini bic out of my bento box! yep, i used to stop for a smoke quite often on training rides of 30km or more, so i kept a lighter on the bike and would tuck a couple of loose cigarettes in there under my gel flask.

must've dropped a ton of weight by getting rid of that lighter, because my average speed on the 2 rides i put in friday & saturday was about 5km/hr faster than last year despite nasty winds ;)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
must've dropped a ton of weight by getting rid of that lighter, because my average speed on the 2 rides i put in friday & saturday was about 5km/hr faster than last year despite nasty winds ;)

Or your lung capacity has improved. You're going to crush some PR's this summer with those happy lungs! :)

Last edited by: squid: Apr 6, 10 11:16
Quote Reply
Re: today is my last day.. [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was being a tiny bit facetious there! it's partly increased lung capacity, and hugely due to the work i put in on the trainer over the winter - i only did <1,300km of cycling for the whole of 2009, but had 1,000km in the books (95% of that on the trainer) by march 31st of 2010.

the only thing that torques me is that i'll never know how much i would have improved with just putting in the additional training...but i'd rather not know and be a non-smoker than start smoking again to find out ;)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: today is my last day.. [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Dad quit with the help of sunflower seeds...lots of them. In fact he still eats them when he is driving to help him stay alert.
Quote Reply
Re: today is my last day.. [angiebalentine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm definitely happy not having used any kind of replacement when i quit - haven't gained a single pound, and barely even think about smoking anymore. did have a small urge after a 5k i did for fun with a friend on saturday, but that's just because i was used to having one after a race.

since i took 10sec off my 5k PR (which was set on a steep downhill point-to-point course - this one was flat) on almost no run training after 2 weeks as a non-smoker, i certainly think i've got plenty of motivation to stay smoke-free ;)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
1 year anniversary yesterday. "celebrated" with a swim and 16 mile trail run :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Happy anniversary!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good on ya! Congrats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9 more years, I think, and your lungs will be completely healed with no sign of smoke damage. Good for you!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Congratulations.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! inspiring for the rest of us. how did Tanker make out?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: today is my last day.. [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks guys :)

tanker was actually the one who reminded me that sunday was our 1 year "quitterversary"! he didn't even kill anyone ;)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Congrats. Great job on recognizing what you had to do and doing it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next