Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

time off after (minor) bike crash?
Quote | Reply
hi there...
rode my bike yesterday morning and stupid me ended up crashing it, smacking my head on the pavement and cracking my helmet as a result...nothing too bad, but was a bit too dizzy initially to continue the ride...got a (car) ride home, got some rest and, except for some shoulder and neck soreness, I am feeling kind of ok today...
I didn't see a doctor but talked to one (my brother) today and he kind of said, " ok, it is nothing major, but just in case, why don't you take a couple of weeks off from training"--
well, that is not exactly what I had been planning on doing..
I can see where I should hold off running (because of the impact) for maybe a couple of days; and avoid bike riding for a little while because I could potentially hurt my head again, but swimming should be ok, no? And running in like a day or two?
Anyone else had similar experience after just a minor impact on head (no loss of consciousness or nausea etc)?
Silvie
Quote Reply
Re: time off after (minor) bike crash? [vivie1072] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll preface this reply with the following caveat - I'm not a medical doctor and I don't play one on the internet. Having said that, it seems to me that if the impact of your head on the ground was sufficient to crack your helmet, it probably doesn't qualify as a "minor impact." Especially given the fact that you were too dizzy to ride home. Nevertheless, as long as your equilibrium is is back in order, I don't see a problem with riding again right away. If the riding irritates your neck or shoulder, then take a few days off. Ditto for running. As for swimming, it seems to me that this will have the most impact on your neck an shoulder. You might want to give it a few days. For what it's worth, I came to an unplanned instantaneous stop on the bike, flew over the handlebars, and landed on the seat of my pants. I was able to run the next day without incident.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same disclaimer on not being a doctor.....but after taking a headshot I would be very careful about the bike for a while. If you took a 2nd headshot soon after, that would not be good. If you have a mild concussion, I'm not sure the jarring from running would not be a good thing either. It doesn't seem like swimming would be a bad thing.

Quote | Reply
Crashed and broke my collarbone and separated my acromioclavicular joint last Thursday. Rode 4 hours on Friday.
Quote Reply
Re: time off after (minor) bike crash? [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your AC joint doesn't do all your thinking does it?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input, guys!

took today off, went checking out a new helmet :)

still feeling a bit dazed but nothing bad....

thxs..
Quote Reply
Re: time off after (minor) bike crash? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Um, no. Why?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to the doc

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feel better soon, girl.

Don't do any training while you're "dazed". It could probably screw up your reaction time, or something.

I'm not Doctor either, but would rather see you play this one conservatively...
Quote Reply