Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

swim - runners: carry own nutrition/water?
Quote | Reply
Posting for a friend here, do you carry your own water/nutrition through out the course? She has been practicing with her own water bottles. She will be going solo at the odyssey event sept 17
Quote Reply
Re: swim - runners: carry own nutrition/water? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not carry my own hydration but I did carry my own nutrition. I was wearing a tri suit under my swimrun suit so just used the pockets there as usual. That said I feel like since the last time I did one, which was 2017, they wanted people to carry their own bottles for aid stations so I'm not sure what that situation is now. But I was fine with hydrating only with what was offered on course. I did it twice and after the first my teammate and I agreed we needed more gels than we used the first time as we were surprised how tired we felt later in the race so we were well supplied the second time and that went much better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah much better to just leave it completely to chance and hope everything goes wel on the day

Pink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carrying most of her own nutrition during the race is a good idea. She probably won't need to bring all the gels she plans on needing as the aide stations will have Precision Fuel & Hydration gels (which I think are pretty good) to supplement with. I recommend carrying them in an Ark Kangaroo top or bra. Swijin also makes a storage bra. The Kangaroo tank top can hold all she needs for Orcas. I do not recommend carrying her own fluids. There will be plenty of water and electrolytes on the course and carrying a bottle full of fluids is impractical. The race organizers will give her a collapsible silicone cup which will work well at the aide stations. But I always carry a collapsible soft flask that I can fill up and run away with. The collapsible flasks fit well into a Kangaroo top, but it does take some practice to figure out how to place the bottle top to avoid getting poked in the ribs during the swim.

Tell your friend good luck. Orcas is an awesome race and swimrun is supper fun!

Facebook and Strava
Quote Reply
Re: swim - runners: carry own nutrition/water? [SwimGreg3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm so glad this question was asked - any other tips for a first-time swimrunner at Orcas? My partner has done (a?) swimrun before and we're doing the short course. I'm just psyched for the adventure and have acknowledged I'm in way over my head, but if there are any critical components to know for a first-timer I'd appreciate it!!

I've heard the runs are very...vertical. I've got 10 days here in the South Sound (WA) to get as comfortable as I can before heading to Orcas Island! So any suggestions are welcome.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: swim - runners: carry own nutrition/water? [swimcyclesprint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whether your goal is to win or just make the time cut offs, you'll have a better day if you feel good while doing it. To that end I have two pieces of advice:

First, from course navigation to leg distances, there's a surprising number of things to think about while racing a swimrun. So it's easy to forget or ignore an issue until you've dug yourself into a hole you might not make it out of. If you remember to stay on top of just four things you'll have a much better day: Nutrition, Hydration, Temperature, and Pacing. I try to ask myself every 15 to 20 minutes "Do I need to eat? Do I need to drink? Am I too hot or too cold? Is this the right pace?" Stay on top of those things and you'll do just fine.

Second, a good swimrun kit won't make your day, but it will certainly make things easier. And it doesn't need to cost thousands. At a minimum: wetsuit, paddles, pull buoy, and shoes that drain well. For the wetsuit, the thinner the better, but a cut off triathlon wetsuit will work just fine. Odyssey will have Ark wetsuits for sale or rent at the event - those are great. A quick look at your website says your a swimmer so you should do just fine using paddles. If you end up pulling your partner, be wary of not blowing up your shoulders by pulling to hard or using huge paddles - I've made this mistake more than once. A pull buoy is a must to keep your shod feet up in the water. The bugger the better here (Odyssey will probably also have Ark Keels for sale at the event; I think they did at Casco), but a normal pool swimming buoy will work well too. Finally, any trail running shoe will work. One with a thin upper that drains well is best. For Orcas I'd also recommend a shoe with decent lugs but with 10 days to go something you are used to is probably more important.

With respect to the course, it's absolutely gorgeous. The first swim in the harbor will be very cold. But it's short and run 2 up the hill will warm you up again. Cascade and Mountain Lake are very comfortable in a wetsuit. The run to Mountain Lake is generally up from what I remember with some short punching hills but nothing too terrible. For the short course, you'll get the toughest climb of the day over early on run 2; not too much vertical to be worried about after that.

Anyway, Odyssey puts on great races and this one is a real gem. Don't forget to pick your head up and look around at the beauty every now and then. Enjoy!

Facebook and Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey thank you so much!! This is awesomely helpful.

The four check-ins will be very important for me. Especially pacing and especially on the swim - I don't expect to heavily pull my partner, but that's a real possibility. So I will start maybe easier than I expected to on those swims.. thank you. I've also been training (reluctantly) with a buoy JUST for this race! I'm fortunate that my partner has a second set of all of the gear, so I'm not planning on purchasing anything last minute but will ready myself just in case.

Good to hear that you recommend decent lugs - I picked up some Hoka Speedgoat 5s (that I had seen recommended on some SwimRun lists) so I'm hoping that they work ok. I don't really want to drill into the soles but that's also something I've seen recommended? Any thoughts on that?

I am so excited for this race and feel really lucky to get to be there!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most people will carry some nutrition; it is faster to eat and run than to stop and eat at an aid station. More and more folks are starting to carry a soft flask that is probably empty to start (and may have some electrolyte powder in it), and then fill it before a long run section. You are given a soft silicone cup to use at aid stations. Some folks even just fill up their cap and drink from it.

Pro tip: stuff the soft cup in an outside pocket or on top of your leg under the wetsuit. Most aid stations are right out of a swim or at the start of one, and I like to be zipped up and ready at those times. Having the cup be easily accessible without unzipping is a big time saver. Also you can fill the cup then start jogging/walking, just don't be standing still if your goal is to race.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: swim - runners: carry own nutrition/water? [swimcyclesprint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve never used the Speedgoat but I too have heard them recommended for swimrun. They should work well. I recommend against putting holes in the bottom for the simple reason that it doesn’t really do anything. Most rubbers or foams in the shoe bottoms just close up those holes anyway. I started out doing this and it didn’t take long for me to decide it wasn’t worth it.

My only other advice on shoes (or below-the-knee-equipment more generally) is that I tend to kick my ankles when I get tired. That can end up really hurting if the shoes have sizable lugs. So I try and wear slightly higher socks - not too long, just above my ankle bone. Many other swimrunners will opt for much taller socks. In some races this is helpful to protect against scratches from
shrubs and undergrowth. But that shouldn’t be a problem for Orcas. I don’t recall trampling through a lot of undergrowth in that race.

Facebook and Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey awesome, thanks for expanding on the sole drilling!! Won’t be doing that, then!

I’ll definitely opt for taller socks. Thank you! The kicking with shoes on is why I’ve been training so hard with a buoy - I’ve done that and it just destroys my ankles! I’ve heard the trails are pretty clear, but living here in WA the blackberries find their way..everywhere. So the socks may be worth it for them alone.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
Quote Reply