Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

superspecial clip-on
Quote | Reply
I would like to have a clip-on on my roadbike that I could position the armrests like 2-4 inches aft of the dropbar and level with the bar as well.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

AND did you understand a word of what I was trying to say?

Swede
Quote Reply
Re: superspecial clip-on [Lundin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm. I would like to have that too......

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know of no such thing. Though I just thought of a pretty simple design. My only concern woulld be knee clearance issues. It's a problem for many who run Syntace clip ons on roadies. You're idea would put the pads lower which would decrease knee clearance further. It would be nice if it would work out though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can do this with the ITM Crono VIP3. Unfortunately the pads aren't that comfy (though Bjorn seems to get on with them just fine...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be concerned that your knees would smack the crap out of the armrests when you got out of the saddle with such a setup...unless you have an ungodly long top tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A very good idea!!!!

As we all know (or should by now), where only meant to use shorty aerobars on road bikes, fair enough I fully agree with this, the only problem is I HATE shorty aerobars!! The pads dig in half way up your forearm and dramatically increase load on your upper arms (Bicep), just what you need after a hard swim!

This very problem lead me to customise some 3t bioarms for ironman NZ 2004. I removed the elbow pad mounting and replaced it with a small piece of flat steel bar which moved my elbow pads about 75mm(3 inches) behind my base bar (conventional drop). This gave me a very comfortable aerobar on a conventinal road bike. As for knee clearance well....there wasn't really any, on hills my knees lightly brushed the elbow pads, this worked ok for IMNZ but for a hilly course it would of been really bad.

I think its time for profile to throw away there gimicks and give us something useful. Why not produce a new version of the airstryke where the pads fold back at a 45 degree angle(behind the base bar). This would give us great pad placement (Under the elbow it is after all called an elbow pad not a forearm pad isn't it?) but when not on the aerobars the pads would fold up and cure all the knee clearance issues.

Any reasons why this wouldn't work?

Oh yeah and while they're at it they could copy the extension geometry off visiontech, nice and simply we don't need the million bends profile insists on giving us!

Rant over...for now anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the late 80 and early 90s Mavic made an aerobar that could be slide back from your handlebar as far as you wanted. The attachment between the aerobar to the handlebars was completely independent of the armrest to aerobar attachment.

I found a set on ebay a few months ago.

David K.
Quote Reply
Re: superspecial clip-on [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavidK beat me too it. I have a set of Mavic clip-ons form the old days that do the trick. I love them.
Quote Reply
Re: superspecial clip-on [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom and others,

I have a modified version of the old Profile Air Stryke clip-on's that I use. If you mount the pads back as far as they will go, they are several inchs back of the top par. I have shortened the front end of the bars up considerably using a hack-saw and different( shorter) inner expension bolt/nut set-up. I just slap these on when needed. Mostly I just ride with the road bars( Ritchy Bio-Max II, shallow drop)

I know the flip-up nature of the Air Strykes is a bit much, but I do like to have full access to the tops, and you get that with these. The only negative, is that these clip-ons rattle a bit on the bumpy stuff.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://cgi.ebay.com/...&ssPageName=WDVW

The armrests can be lowered.

David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Ritchey Clip on aerobar has a elbow pad mount that is offset and "flippable" meaning you can have the "L" bracket mounted forward, placing the elbox pads right over the bar, or rearward, placing them about 5cm behind the bar. A simple elegant clip-on for $99.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: superspecial clip-on [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...&ssPageName=WDVW

The armrests can be lowered.

David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM Dr 'Dre. I forgot which bars he uses, but they are only sightly above his bar, and don't get in the way of his knees when standing.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply