Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

suggestions for warm gloves and face protector
Quote | Reply
i just ordered a craft baselayer but they were out of gloves. cust service rep said their face protector is a bit thin and not much better than the moutain hardware one i have, which isn't very warm suprisingly.

i ran 1:30 this morning in -8 and my body was fine but my hands and face froze. suggestions, besides running on the treadmil?
Quote Reply
Re: suggestions for warm gloves and face protector [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For gloves I actually use a thin pair of polypropylene gloves as a base layer and then wear a pair of Dryline mitts overtop. I find this is good down to -30°C (-22°F).

The mitts are from the RunningRoom (actually I think the gloves are as well)... http://shop.runningroom.com/default.php?cPath=209

As for face I use a neck tube that might get pulled up when I'm warming up but once I'm going it usually just gets pulled down to chin level.

john
Quote Reply
Re: suggestions for warm gloves and face protector [johnboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What JB said works for me on a bike. Mittens with a liner. Mine are leather mitts with thinsulate and sealskinz heavy gloves as a liner. no problems down to 10 below on the bike.

for face, the same thing, a neck gaitor works fine unless it is below zero, then I use a lycra headband around my face to cover from the eyeballs to the top lip. The neck gaitor comes up to my lower lip - this way I still have a gap to breathe through so I don't have to suck air through 2 layers of fleece. good luck.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got some Sinsalo XC-ski gloves from REI that have been great. The middle weight ones have been good for down to -10F. I've used them for biking in cold rain and they've been warm for several hours. You can get them in light weight or arctic weight too. For my head I just wear a polypro hat. A neck gaitor of stretch pile work well to keep your chin from freezing and makes a huge difference in overall warmth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wait a minute... -8??? celsius? and you need face protection? Its -26 outside here right now, (and no, *I*m not running) but some crazy people in my club will tonight...

Anyway, I usually don't break out the face stuff until -10, but I like the neoprene face masks they sell at ski places, OR, less ugly is Sugoi's neck tube which I just pull up over my face and let slide down when I feel warmer.

gloves, for normal cold temps, I run with my fleece windstopper gloves. they're perfect. below -10, mittens, or the gloves with mitten tops you can pop on and off...
Quote Reply