Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

stock PowerTap computer (wireless) - a few questions on capabilities...
Quote | Reply
I'm referring to the computer head that comes with the PowerTap Pro+, specifically. But, I think it's the same as comes with the SL+ and SLC+, too.

I currently use a Forerunner 305 on my bike. I have it set up to watch current cadence, current heart rate, distance and time. And, with a single button push, I can get to a bunch of other metrics, including current speed. I also have it set up to auto-lap every mile (which flashes up the time it took for the last lap/mile automatically) and I have a distance alert set up for every 4 miles (so it beeps every 4 miles, reminding me to drink).

I'm sure that once I add the PowerTap, one of the metrics I'll want to continuously monitor is current Watts. So, here are my questions...

How many data fields can be set up on each screen of the PowerTap CPU? Are they programmable? Is it possible to have (at a minimum) Watts, current cadence and current heart rate on the same screen?

Can the PowerTap CPU be set up to auto-lap and/or does it have distance alerts, similar to what I have now with my Forerunner? If so, do the auto-lap and distance alerts work the same way as they do with the Forerunner (ie. flash up time for last lap for auto-lap, beep for distance alert)?

If the PowerTap CPU can't do these things, can anyone confirm that the Forerunner 310XT can?

Thanks.

Steve

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: stock PowerTap computer (wireless) - a few questions on capabilities... [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want alot of info, your best bet is to get a garmin 705(i think thats the number). The PT computer is pretty basic. On the top line you have watts max/avg/current. The second line you can have mph, hr, or cad. I keep candance on mine. The third line can have hr, cad(avg or act.) time. I have mine set up as avg or actual watts. I try to learn what force it takes to hold x amount of watts. 2nd candance, 3rd time. I do not really care about other info. For watts I do not include zeros into avg. Then its really close to PNorm. You can do this through the computer but its easier through the sofware. If you want more I would get a ibike or garmin. The new ibike pro generation 3 will even include your TSS, IF PNORM while your riding.

If you press both buttons on the PT computer it will start a interval. Hold the left button down and it will show your interval. Then in PT software you can see just the interval. That took me a month to figure out.
Quote Reply