Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

spin classes
Quote | Reply
hello,

I started spin classes for convenience and have a couple questions.
Is there any benefit to setting up the bike "aero" and riding that way?
Should I really spend all that time standing and pedaling at high resistance and low cadence or spin at less resistance with higher cadence?
I am anticipating a very busy year personally so am only trying to maintain a reasonable fitness base. I want to be as ready as possible should the opportunity arise to do some races.

Thanx....Brian
Quote Reply
Re: spin classes [pedalincoastal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really enjoy doing spin classes during the winter for a break from the basement riding. I use the class to work on my power. I typically have the bars as low as they'll go and the seat way forward to get a riding position that is close to what I normally ride. Then I basically ignore the instructor and crank the tension up and simulate climbs (seated and standing) throughout the class. I find that I can put more tension on the spin bike than I can with my trainer at home. I don't do all the crap (ie. hover, stand, sit, hover, jumps) that the instructors want everyone to do. Most of them don't mind since they know why I'm there (check with them first to make sure they won't be offended if you ignore them!). It is a great workout and I sometimes do back to back classes for 2 intense hours.

One other thing.... I was at a LBS this past weekend and noticed that Giant makes a spin bike that has tri-type bars and pads as well as way more seat angle adjustability than the Schwinn spinners. They also use regular bottom brackets, chains, cranksets, etc. so you could set it up very similar to what you ride on the road. Looked cool!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been doing spinning for a few months, and I have really seen the benefits in my climbing and my cadence. I have a great instructor (a bike racer rather than some aerobics teacher earning some extra cash). We don't do a lot of goofy stuff like you would find in some classes - just lots of climbing, realistic sprints and realistic intervals.

Getting out of the saddle is huge. I find it really hard to train for this on the road - can't find consistent resistance, not an easy way to break off the training if I get out of zone, etc. On the spin bike you can always turn down the resistance - and the resistance is higher than you will find on a typical trainer.

I have not had much luck getting aero on the spin bike - just not comfortable without the elbow pads. I am thinking of using some foam pipe insulation to make some pads and see if that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brian

for what it is worth, i'm a triathlete and have been teaching spin classes for about 6yrs now and yes they can be very useful for the many reasons listed in the other posts. in my opinion i would be careful w/instructors as it is very easy to find an instructor who has your heart rate spiking all over the place during class w/no real structure or reason for the workout...not so good especially during this time of year when (depending upon next race) i would assume you're working on building better aerobic engine and drills...so just be careful. another couple benefits spinning classes offer is the bikes help smooth out your pedal stroke (as you know you cannot coast) and since you can put a good deal of resistance on the bike i found the long seated climbs on the spin bike really helped my running a ton especially up hills and having a good kick at the end of the longer stuff. as for set up, i set my spin bike up as close to my road bike as possible for me the headtubes on most spin bikes are to tall and i cannot get the saddle forward enough ahead of bb (i ride steep) for me to get anything that even resembles my aero position. basically, good workout out definitely will help but watch your intensity and don't be afraid NOT to do everything the instructor does; some instructors will have you doing some pretty weird stuff ranging from pointless to could cause injury. hope that helps.

jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started going to spin classes this year and have noticed the benefits. My only concern is doing too much higher intensity in early base period, but have noticed tremendous improvements in pedal stroke and out-of-the-saddle climbing when I'm out on the road. I only go once a week so I don't get too much high intensity stuff. The only problem is that being on a university campus, the classes are hard to get in for about the first month of the semester, because of all the fitness wanna-bes that get their fitness kick once in a blue moon.

(use code #48352 for 15% off your first order)
*Feel free to PM me with any specific questions about Hammer products*
Quote Reply