Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

speed and ironman training
Quote | Reply
ive done a few fairly short races lately, 2 duathlons, 1.8k run, 10k bike, 1.8 k run and a tri, 150m swim, 10km bike, 2.5 km run. in these races i feel like i have no speed, apart from in the swim (im an ex swimmer though), my heartrate is in low 150s and i just feel like i could be going a whole lot faster but can't.

ironman training would wipe out alot of that speed huh?
Quote Reply
Re: speed and ironman training [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I experienced the same thing during my first IM build-up. Prior to the build up I had fairly good leg-speed, but during the build up it seemed that I was stuck in my IM specific HR range. Given the amount of time I was spending in this "zone" I believe it became second nature and was merely a matter of putting the time in so that I could have a comfortable IM. Amazingly the IM was relatively uneventful and the marathon was by far the easiest I've done.

Since that first IM I've had challenges with leg speed. I believe its a combination of muscle memory, desire to race / train at my aerobic threshhold and the aging process. I discussed this at lunch today with one of my training buddies. 10 years ago I could run under 35 minutes off the bike in an Olympic distance event. Now I'm happy if I can hit a low 38. The funny thing is that I run faster off the bike than I do in an open 10....figure that one out.

Rocketboy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm having the same problems. I think it was because I did too much IM-pace training. Since it was my first, I was trying to make sure I did enough slow stuff. I did too much, and actually lost fitness during my buildup. Next time, I'm keeping my normal schedule, with the exception of a couple of really long rides. I've returned to interval-type efforts for at least a bit of each and every workout. Thankfully, the speed seems to be coming back.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear that shit!!

Not that i'm training for IM right now, however, have been putting in loads of time on the bike and some solid runs.

Played touch footy the other night after a 5 yr hiatus, i used to have a pretty good top end speed and could catch most on the field! - got stepped, gapped, stood-up and basically run all over all night!!

Could run all night long, but no pace - it;s one or the other i think.

You doin the half this w/e??
Quote Reply
Re: speed and ironman training [chilipepper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nah. im just getting over an injury. silly foot.
Quote Reply
Re: speed and ironman training [Rocketboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The funny thing is that I run faster off the bike than I do in an open 10....figure that one out. "

You're a triathlete! And obviously train like one. We're designed to run off the bike if we train right for tri's.

All my best open 5k, 10k have been when I rode my bike there first as warm-up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I disagree. I have hit PB's at every race and every distance this year. I train exclusively for IM.

A common misconception with IM training is that you have to give up your speed to build endurance. Wrong. You will detrain SOME of your FLAT OUT (anaerobic) speed (say 10k), but specificity rules the day... so what would you expect?

I'm a little confused at your post though. You say "i feel like i have no speed", then "ironman training would wipe out alot of that speed huh?". So what is it? Do you have speed or not? If not, is there any speed to "wipe out"?

Doesn't matter. If you train right, you can get faster at ALL distances. End stop.
Quote Reply