Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

specific running shoes for Achilles problems
Quote | Reply
I posted on my achilles problem and got some great advice. I was wondering what running shoes people have at the moment and any that may be very cushioned in the sole or raised to help the achilles.

If you have some general recommendatins about this, I would love to hear them also.

Thanks in advance

Simon
Last edited by: simonfoley: Mar 18, 03 4:54
Quote Reply
Re: specific running shoes for Achilles problems [simonfoley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a BIG problem with my achilles heels in 2002. I started running with Nike Shox during the last autumn and I'm absolutely pain free at the moment. Last season I mostly ran with Kayanos and MC Plus.

regards,

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Re: specific running shoes for Achilles problems [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that.

Could you tell me exactly which ones you ran with?

Simon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks for that.

Could you tell me exactly which ones you ran with?

Simon

Last year I used Asics Kayano VII and MC Plus. I had to walk most of the marathon part of the ironman I did and this was because of the achilles heel pain. I went to several orthopedics because of this and also got some medical help - nothing solved the problem. I switched to Nike shox while still having the pain and although the pain was still there it was possible to run with these shoes. Over the last months the pain left and now I'm painfree ... and bought some more Nike shox. Most people over here don't see these shoes as "real" running shoes but I don't mind and will do the complete training and racing season with them.

regards,

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Last edited by: Bavarian_Frank: Mar 18, 03 5:30
Quote Reply
Re: specific running shoes for Achilles problems [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Cushion" shoes such as Nike Shox tend to have more vertical movement than do motion control shoes. Physical therapists do not recommend cushion shoes for people with Achilles tendonitis as there's too much heel play which increases the stress on the tendon (but it's great that they worked for you, Frank).

I've battled a left achilles problem from 2+ years (too many marathons)and have tried everything short of surgery. What worked best for me was a combination of lower leg stregthening, stretching and changing the way I run.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had tightness in my achilles tendon and lower gastroc and noticed shoes with a generally higher heel cushion helped a great deal. Lower shoes with a more concave footbed were much worse. Someone also recommended a shock absorbing heel lift pad which also helped but made the shoe fit funny. Not of much help... sorry.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: specific running shoes for Achilles problems [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have also had problems with my achilles for the last 3 years. I have tried rest(didn't work) just got me fat and slow. I then went to a PT and she worked with my extremely rigid heels to get more movement. I do agree with mts though that a cushioned shoe is not the way to go. There is to much unneccessary movement in the ankle and heel causing undo stress on the tendon and as for what Tom stated about the heel lift pad I am glad that he got it out of his shoes. They not only make the shoe fit strangely they cause an unnatural lift in the heel area effectively shortening the calf muscles and not letting the muscle go through its full ROM. This is like permeantly holding your calf in a toe raise exercise. I am still working through the pain myself and I will say some days are better than others. but your best best is to get a good stability shoe I wear the Brooks Adrenaline( great shoe for ME!!!) and continue to stretch consistently!!!!!! Also, on thing that my PT recommended that has helped is to get a hard foam roll and put your lower leg on it and roll back and forth on that with your leg moving from just below the knee all the way down to the ankle. Very painful the first time you do it. Hope this helps you and you get back on the roads pain free. There is always trail running if the roads hurt to much..

Keep the rubber side down,

Craig
Quote Reply
Re: specific running shoes for Achilles problems [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom's exactly right on the high heel thing. Also it's always good to walk around in shoes/sandels/etc. Walking barefoot aggravates the achilles.
Quote Reply