Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
softride? the hype
Quote | Reply
my question is this, with all the hype on this site about softride, i want to know what the deal is. if they really are so good, why dont more poeple ride them? and why have i never seem one>?

Quote Reply
Re: softride? the hype [newbz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
with all the hype on this site about softride

You sure you got the right forum? ST hates softride. It's only us iconoclasts who hype them.

I don't know why more people don't ride them, though. Possibly weight concerns, possibly people don't like the idea of bouncing in the saddle, possibly because of maintenance concerns. But most likely because people think they're ugly.

If Cervelo made them, of course, it would be a different story.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: softride? the hype [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, the cervelo hype i see more than the softride, although both are nice. there are funny trends on this forum though.

"on your left, on your left, left, left, left"
Quote Reply
Re: softride? the hype [Buddhabuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott Martin who won and had the fastest time at the California State Time Trial Championships this past weekend rode a Softride FasTT, so I guess they are fast bikes. I just think because they look so different and none of the the big bike companies make them is the reason maybe you don't see as many of them. But having someone winning a time trial state championship on one will probably have the roadies taking a second look ( who seem to be the ones that always give them a funny look or think they are slow bikes)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at it this way, Beam bikes are kind of like Redheads. Not every guy likes them, but the ones that like them, REALLY like them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well a Titanflex is better. But neither are UCI legal, which has some impact on sales. Both are made by smaller companies who do not mind being more of a niche market. Titanflex are better.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: softride? the hype [BK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Look at it this way, Beam bikes are kind of like Redheads. Not every guy likes them, but the ones that like them, REALLY like them.[/reply]

mmmmmmmmmm...redheads........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beam bikes are kind of like Redheads.

That cinches it, then. I must have one.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"But most likely because people think they're ugly."

At least they are not as ugly as a Titanflex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They look goofy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Softride beam bikes are great bikes. I rode one( Softride Solo) for years - back in the early - mid 90's. Had some great races at all distances on it. They are really comfortable. They are a bit heavier than the competition. Not sure why they have not been as successful. Ironic, this current obsession with carbon fiber, when the first Softride beams were made out of carbon fiber back in the early 90's! Where were all the carbon-geeks then?

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: softride? the hype [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck. I was a carbon geek in 1990, buying a Kestrel 4000 to be like Mark Allen :-). Then I got a Softride to be like Welchie and Zack, then back to Kestrel to be like Macca, and now on Cervelo cause if you are on this forum, you have to have one...

If I could have one bike though, it would be the Kestel Airfoil pro in size 52 with 700 wheels. This bike is "the best of beam and rigid" in carbon fiber. They don't make this in my size nor can I afford it.

Dev
Last edited by: devashish paul: May 18, 06 18:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beam bikes blow.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
with all the hype on this site about softride

You sure you got the right forum? ST hates softride. It's only us iconoclasts who hype them.

I don't know why more people don't ride them, though. Possibly weight concerns, possibly people don't like the idea of bouncing in the saddle, possibly because of maintenance concerns. But most likely because people think they're ugly.

If Cervelo made them, of course, it would be a different story.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: softride? the hype [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was kinda fun back then - we had the Beam Team in Vancouver. Frank Clark, Mark Bates, Rob Hasegawa and myself all kitted out with Softride Solos on a sponsorship deal through Alex Steida who was the Marketing Manager at Allsop/Softride at the time. Steida would even come out and ride with us when he was in Vancouver. It's not every day that you get to ride with a guy who actually wore the Yellow Jersey in the Tour de France! Cool stuff!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Look at it this way, Beam bikes are kind of like Redheads. Not every guy likes them, but the ones that like them, REALLY like them. "

That's funny, I own a softride, and and married to a redhead. Love them both.

Folks that just say that softride/beam bikes blow/suck/are for turds or posers really don't lend much credibility to the arguments for/against beam bikes-softrides, in particular. I am a fairly big dude (6', 220 lbs), and I tried quite a few non-suspension bikes before I was hooked on my Classic TT. The Classic beams can hold up to 240 lbs, but I still need to ween myself from those pre-cut cookies before I can try one of those FastT straight beams (200 lb. limit). My Softride handles like a Cadillac through non-ideal roads, and the suspension really keeps my pedaling even and disciplined. That said, I've only been doing this tri thin for about a year, and I am far from elite. Fact is, people probably see my slow, large ass getting passed on my softride and they immediately think "poser". That is, until I slice open their tires.(j/k)

I didn't buy my softride because I saw Jurgen Zack riding one on NBC's IM broadcast from way back when, I got it because it was a nice ride and fit FOR ME.

Infidel.
Quote Reply
Re: softride? the hype [DCunleaded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a pic of Scott Martin doing a 47:21 and winning The SCNCA Time Trial Championship on a Softride FasTT last weekend.

http://www.redbikephoto.com/2006tt/image161.html

Complete Results at:

http://www.scncattchampionships.com/2006results.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me preface this by stating that I really like redheads.

I had a Softride for a few years. It was kind of cool, but I sucked on it. I chalked it up to just being out of shape, but when I bought a new roadie the difference was night and day. Flat out I am WAY faster on a traditional frame. Going up hills the difference is the most apparent, but on the flats I am obviously faster as well. I have no idea if I'd be as fast, faster or slower on a Titan-Flex than on my Yaqui, but on a Softride my bike skills mirror my run - and I can't have that!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: softride? the hype [Ted McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]beam bikes blow.[/reply]

Damn! I've got to find out about this. Mine is at the shop. Wait 'til I get it back.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: softride? the hype [Ted McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]beam bikes blow.[/reply]

On what authority? I guess Scott martin should be told about this.

Last edited by: docfuel: May 18, 06 19:53
Quote Reply
Re: softride? the hype [Rocky Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Here's a pic of Scott Martin doing a 47:21 and winning The SCNCA Time Trial Championship on a Softride FasTT last weekend.
[/reply]

And, DAMN! HE'S RIDING A RENN INSTEAD OF A ZIPP.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found my Softride to be substaintially faster than my traditional double diamond road bike. How much of it is the Softride beam and how much is the tri-geometry and aero set up? Who knows. I do know that the beam on the Softride performs exactly as a suspension does on a car. Much smoother ride = much much less rolling resistance. The beam suspension also allows the bike to corner tighter and at higher speeds. Imagine riding a car without suspension; that is what you get on a traditional bike. The Softride suspension is much much faster.

Some people complain about "bouncing" in the saddle. Well, they need to learn how to pedal correctly. Having a Softride has taught me how to apply force throughout the pedal stroke, making me a faster cyclist. The cool thing about the Softride beam is the feedback it offers on your cycling stroke. If people complain about bouncing on a Softride and loosing power, they are loosing just as much power bouncing on their double diamond bike; it just isn't visible.

The reason Softrides aren't ridden more is that people misunderstand the UCI ruling against them. They hear Softrides are ilegal, and they never see Lance on one, so they don't consider buying one. In reality, Softrides are only banned for pros and elites, which means Softrides are perfectly legal for the majority of us.

I think people don't ride Softrides much because they aren't traditional looking, and people are skeptical of something different.

And now, please excuse me as I put away my soap box . . .

Proud Member of the Cervelo Mafia.
Quote Reply
Re: softride? the hype [zone2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BULLY!!BULLY!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
""""""""""""Look at it this way, Beam bikes are kind of like Redheads. Not every guy likes them, but the ones that like them, REALLY like them."""""""

I've had three softrides and I'm married to a redhead!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Redheads sure are pretty.
Softrides are the shiznit too.
Quote Reply

Prev Next